would you take a 10:40 am flight out of fll or 7:15 pm, if there was no other choice

beachchairs2

10:40am flight out of fll or 7:15 pm if there is no other choice  

217 members have voted

1. 1. 10:40am flight out of fll or 7:15 pm if there is no other choice

• 10:40am
    • 715 pm

I guess that is what makes the world go round then.....you hate to

leave home? Must mean you hate traveling and cruising?

I love it and I take the flights all in stride and as a part of my trip.

Then again, I have not seen most of the world and being home?

If I could travel the world? I would do it in a heartbeat.

Different strokes for different folks:)

I think you missed my point: I have traveled the world and no longer have an overriding need to see it again:D If I hated cruising or travel, I wouldn't leave home at all, but we cruise two or more times a year and fly routinely to Europe, pretty much on a monthly basis. But as the song says "There's no Place Like Home" and we are fortunate to live in the best place in the whole of the USA. BTW we're in a hotel room in Milano, Italy at this very moment, :)

Edited by BosoxI

I think you missed my point: I have traveled the world and no longer have an overriding need to see it again:D If I hated cruising or travel, I wouldn't leave home at all, but we cruise two or more times a year and fly routinely to Europe, pretty much on a monthly basis. But as the song says "There's no Place Like Home" and we are fortunate to live in the best place in the whole of the USA. BTW we're in a hotel room in Milano, Italy at this very moment, :)

The issues of the internet.......you said "more and more you hate

leaving home"....well, on the net you cannot read tone or inflection.

So you don't hate leaving home "that much":D......I have never been

to Milano.......maybe one day I will get there.

Too old for rushing around and concerning myself with the 'unexpected' at the port re disembarkation. :cool: Sure, you might make the early flight comfortably, then again maybe not. We book our flight for the day following disembarkation, no sweat re getiing off the ship and how long it takes, leasurely trip to the hotel, chill out for the remainder of the day, nice bottle of wine and a nice leasurely evening meal and early to bed...or not! At at the airport the following morning with time to spare. We always arrive a day earlier than the cruise too, due to Canada's winter weather and how it can cause havoc re outbound flights (we usually cruise February or March) . I guess it's what your individial time line permits and your comfort zone. Quite simply, ours is comfort with no rushing around! :D Given we had to fly out the same day as disembarkation it will come as no surprise that we would elect for the later flight.

Edited by Macadian

I have taken an early flight many times. We make sure boarding passes are printed, do self disembark and line up for it much earlier than they suggest, grab a taxi to the airport and as we only travel with carry-on luggage are able to go straight to the security lines which are short at this hour because most people are still having breakfast on the ship.

It is important to note though that we do not let it stress us and would deal with whatever had to be done if we missed the flight.

I certainly wouldn't take a 7pm flight as that would involve hanging around all day. I'd book and early one the next day and stay the night.

We have made it every time and there has been a lot of times that we have returned home from the FTL airport after a cruse. Miami, however, is a different situation! We self-disembark, grab a cab and we are at the airport in no time. However, I always print my boarding passes the day before while on the ship. That way you can check your luggage at the outdoor location and walk to boarding.

If you miss the flight, you can always check on stand-by for a later flight or if you used Choice Air, they should be able to help you as that's what they are there for.

I agree 100% with this I have never had a problem catching my flight. Just make sure your in the first few groups that are getting off.

I would do the early flight assuming I need to get back to work after the cruise.

I would self-disembark but that requires packing so that i handle my luggage myself.

To be safe in case i cant get to the airport in time, I would need to have an airline that allows free rescheduling like Southwest.

The issues of the internet.......you said "more and more you hate

leaving home"....well, on the net you cannot read tone or inflection.

So you don't hate leaving home "that much":D......I have never been

to Milano.......maybe one day I will get there.

It is worth the trip, though it's mostly a business city. But take a short ride on the train, and Lake Como appears. Am I the only one to find "The Last Supper" a bit disappointing? The Cathedral makes up for it and if you like opera La Scala is right next to the Galleria, the world's first shopping mall, I've read. Hope you get there soon

I know there are nightmare stories and yes, we have gotten stuck in a customs line, but I would do the early flight. In fact we are on a 10:20 out of FLL on December 30 on a Monday. I figure a Monday means less ships in port and probably, since it is after Christmas, most folks will have already flown home on Sat or Sun if vacationing. We are also Elite which may get us off earlier I think? We are also highest level on airline, so no lines checking bags. Maybe it is a chance, but we will see!! We usually do an 11:00 or 11:30 and in the past we have had plenty of time.

I also have an earlier flight 11.20am (not as early as 10.40) departing FLL after a cruise on the Eclipse that returns on saturday Dec 28th.

I usually check in my flight right on a application on my cell phone and get an electronic pass. They simply scan my cell phone once I arrive at the airport.

I just hope that FLL can accomodate the electronic pass as well. I never had any issues at any other major airports.

It's getting me a little nervous seeing all the comments that would have picked a much later flight. :confused:

I also have an earlier flight 11.20am (not as early as 10.40) departing FLL after a cruise on the Eclipse that returns on saturday Dec 28th.

I usually check in my flight right on a application on my cell phone and get an electronic pass. They simply scan my cell phone once I arrive at the airport.

I just hope that FLL can accomodate the electronic pass as well. I never had any issues at any other major airports.

It's getting me a little nervous seeing all the comments that would have picked a much later flight. :confused:

Hi Alex:)...it just depends on you. I know many folks just like to "get

off and get home" and that is their choice of course.

But there are those of us who don't care about rushing off, worrying

about if the ship will clear on time, etc...etc...etc.....

I prefer to be in the "last group off" and I usually try to book a later

flight to begin with.

In my opinion, 11:20 is safer than 10:40. Personally, I would not

book a flight home in that 10ish range but that is just me.

Good for you! Keep on enjoying your travels..... you may have seen much of the world but wonderful that there's still places you love to return to. And.....I heartily agree...there really is no place like home; going away makes me appreciate my home all the more after my travels!

We took a 7:00 pm flt in December and rented a car from the port (actually at a hotel) and had a late lunch and strolled on Las Olas. It gave useomewhere to keep our bags. The only flaw in our plan was when our flight was delayed 2hrs.

I hear all of you...and if this poll would at least be a tie, I would have a better chance of convincing DH to take the early flight...since this trip is in jan, chances are that flights will be so delayed that the one at seven will likely be cancelled till the next day anyway....and we will be waiting even longer....

morning flights have a better chance of getting out but not always of course....

last year things were so backed up that our 2:30 flight wound up being at 8:30.....we were at the airport 12 hours....that certainly affects how we viewed the wonderful cruise we had just had....

If you are willing to take a bit of a risk, try the 10:40 am flight.

However, now that there are less flights and therefore the flights are usually very full if not oversold, you may not get a flight out for a couple of days. It happened to my sister and her husband; they waited 3 days because it was peak travel season.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. :D

Happy and safe cruising all!!

we would be by the exit, so we can get off lickety split...but sometimes the ship takes a while to clear...i can just imagine dh having a fit while they are calling names of people who have not paid their bills yet....

for now, dh says that more people on the poll think like him and would just take the later flight....as for filling the day, yes maybe some kind of tour of the everglades....

I will share one experience we had, although it was in San Juan. We had the first group to get off as we had an early flight. (I am a huge worrier when it comes to travel so I was already stressed about making it in time). We did not choose to self-disembark but did get the first group off thankfully. However, there was a big delay in even starting to call the groups...eventually they lined us up to go, but we were all just standing there right near the door as they were still waiting on the go ahead. We waited for what seemed like forever, and then all of a sudden they led a large group w/ luggage out right in front of us. There were some REALLY angry people in our group as most had no idea who they were (you know how people get in that situation, it was ugly). We were able to get off immediately after that group....turns out those were the people that were self-disembarking. It was nowhere close to 7 am...I can't remember exactly what time but it was definitely closer to 9. I can't remember the details as to the delay that day (it was a few cruises ago) but I remember waiting a long time every step of the way...to get off, to get through customs, at the airport, etc.. We JUST made our flight.

I only share this as an example that even though you may self-disembark, there are many factors that are out of your control. I think it just boils down to what kind of person you are...if you like the excitement and don't get stressed easily, go for it. If you're like me, take the later flight. :D

yes there could be all kinds of unexpected delays...I also remember getting off the silhoette and finding ourselves in a line that snaked round and round ....we waited 2 hours....but had a late flight..others with earlier flights were led ahead of the line....so yes, it is a toss up as to what kind of stress do I prefer...

the stress of worrying about missing the flight..or the stress of just getting home already....

I know you said "no other choice", but have you really looked at all the different airlines? We're usually mentally locked into the one we have the most miles with, and we faced the same dilemma...7 am or 5 pm. Looked at different airlines, and found one at noon that was a partner to our favorite - killed all the birds with one stone. Even if we didn't get the miles, for one time, it would have been worth it.

oh yes you are right...but we booked it a long time ago....originally we had a 2:30 flight, then the airline cancelled it and gave us 7:15...I called and complained....they would gladly switch us to the only one available earlier, that is 10:40 no charge....

if we miss the 10:40 flight, they will put us on another one but there will be a charge and no idea of when the next one might be, since the 7:15 might be all booked....

How long ago did the change happen? If an airline makes a significant change, you do not have to accept a bad alternative. They should give you all your money back, and then you can be free to book another airline. However, I'm not completely sure, but I believe once you accept their new offer, then you are stuck. I'd call them back and tell them neither of those times work for you, and since they are the ones who made such a radical change, you want a refund (of course, make sure you have another airline and flight ready to book). Say that you did not know that a refund was an option (did they give you that as an option?). Also, what airline is this? The majors (UA, AA, DL, etc.) usually have those rules, I'm not sure about the low cost carriers, they sometimes have strange rules of their own. But it's worth a try.