Philippines disaster

CruisinPashmina

I know that there are so many CC people out there who are concerned by the devastating storm in the Philippines, but maybe find it difficult to put their concerns into words..especially on this forum. Those of us who understand the sacrifices the SS crews make to support their families now join together to pray for the safety of these families.

Every time we board, and a crew member smiles and says "Welcome home", my husband and I think of what is behind these words. There could be no more wonderful group of people than Silversea's crew. We are grateful, and now very worried, and hoping for the safety of these dedicated people and the families they love so much. Bless them all. WE TRULY CARE.

I know that there are so many CC people out there who are concerned by the devastating storm in the Philippines, but maybe find it difficult to put their concerns into words..especially on this forum. Those of us who understand the sacrifices the SS crews make to support their families now join together to pray for the safety of these families.

Every time we board, and a crew member smiles and says "Welcome home", my husband and I think of what is behind these words. There could be no more wonderful group of people than Silversea's crew. We are grateful, and now very worried, and hoping for the safety of these dedicated people and the families they love so much. Bless them all. WE TRULY CARE.

Well done for starting this thread. We have just been saying exactly the same thing here and our thoughts are with all those crew members who have given us such wonderful memories and who are waiting for news of their loved one and communities.

Rp

Upon hearing of the Typhoon approaching the Philippines, our very first thoughts were of the many Silversea crew members that we have sailed with over the past few years.

We have suffered through several major hurricanes and unfortunately any news, is rarely good. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all and your families.

In today's Sunday New York Times and updated on the web within the past hour, they have this headline: "Devastation Feared Across Central Philippines in Typhoon’s Wake" with these highlights: "One of the most powerful typhoons ever recorded now appears to have devastated cities, towns and fishing villages with heavy loss of life when it played a deadly form of hopscotch across the islands of the central Philippines on Friday. Barreling across palm-fringed beaches and plowing into frail homes with a force that by some estimates approached that of a tornado, but sprawling across a huge area of this far-flung archipelago, Typhoon Haiyan delivered a crippling blow to this country’s midsection. Disorder and looting over the weekend compounded the destruction. President Benigno S. Aquino III declared a 'state of calamity' in provinces encompassing islands across the breadth of the Philippines. The declaration is devised to release emergency funds from the national coffers. But those coffers have already been depleted this year by a series of other natural disasters, most notably an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 that also struck the middle of the country four weeks ago. The first and most vocal city to cry for help over the weekend was Tacloban on Leyte Island. The typhoon left Tacloban in ruins, as a storm surge as high as 13 feet overwhelmed its streets, with reports from the scene saying that most of the houses had been damaged or destroyed in the city of 220,000. More than 300 bodies have already been recovered, said Tecson John S. Lim, the city administrator, adding that the toll could reach 10,000 in Tacloban alone. The lack of clear information about the extent of the damage raised the possibility that other areas could have been hit just as badly as Tacloban, where rescue efforts were being concentrated."

Yes, very sad. Right now, it is still hard to appreciate how badly these areas have been hit and damaged. Lots of cruise ship staff are affected and not knowing how their families in these areas are doing, surviving.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/11/world/asia/philippines-typhoon.html?hpw&rref=world

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 123,515 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We were on Whisper when this tragedy struck Leyte. From what I was told, there was one visible crew member from this island. Not sure about the below decks crew. I've been reading the Manila Times online and a couple other papers. Much better perspective than NYT provides.