First Time Celebrity Questions

FirstTimeCruiser90

Hi All,

I'm a new cruiser but my questions are quite specific to Celebrity so I've put them here - hope that was the right thing to do! My girlfriend and I have booked a last minute cruise trip (Italy and the Adriatic) which leaves 18th November 2013, and, as first time cruisers, are confused...

1) I can't find an itinerary which tells me when the formal nights are. My girlfriend in particular likes dressing up formally, and this is a key part of the decision to go for a cruise rather than a city break. Is there a dinner itinerary available anywhere? Or does someone who has done the same cruise know if the pattern is the same each time and when the formal dinners were? I ask because we also want to eat at a couple of the speciality restaurants but I will be in big trouble if we miss a formal night to eat sushi lollipops!

2) Because we booked last minute we were only able to book Select Dining (flexible choice of main dining room time each day). We were hoping to share with others (strangers), which seems possible from the MyCelebrity account pages. Has anyone tried this and been unsuccessful? Meeting new people is important for us.

3) Is it possible to share with strangers at the speciality restaurants, or will we automatically be put on a table for 2?

Thanks for all the help - any particular tips and tricks or advice for the Celebrity Silhouette is particularly welcome!

Hi All,

I'm a new cruiser but my questions are quite specific to Celebrity so I've put them here - hope that was the right thing to do! My girlfriend and I have booked a last minute cruise trip (Italy and the Adriatic) which leaves 18th November 2013, and, as first time cruisers, are confused...

1) I can't find an itinerary which tells me when the formal nights are. My girlfriend in particular likes dressing up formally, and this is a key part of the decision to go for a cruise rather than a city break. Is there a dinner itinerary available anywhere? Or does someone who has done the same cruise know if the pattern is the same each time and when the formal dinners were? I ask because we also want to eat at a couple of the speciality restaurants but I will be in big trouble if we miss a formal night to eat sushi lollipops!

2) Because we booked last minute we were only able to book Select Dining (flexible choice of main dining room time each day). We were hoping to share with others (strangers), which seems possible from the MyCelebrity account pages. Has anyone tried this and been unsuccessful? Meeting new people is important for us.

3) Is it possible to share with strangers at the speciality restaurants, or will we automatically be put on a table for 2?

Thanks for all the help - any particular tips and tricks or advice for the Celebrity Silhouette is particularly welcome!

I don't know why, but you really cannot find out which nights are the formal nights. I've heard that the decision is made on board, but that never made sense to me. I can tell you, however, that they like to schedule the formal nights on sea days; so on Silhouette for a 13 night cruise, you can expect three formal nights, and probably, but not guaranteed, they will be on Wednesday, Sunday, and the following Thursday. However, they also like to schedule the third formal night on the night before the last night out, so it's possible that Friday the 29th will be the last formal night.

When eating with Select Dining, you will be eating with strangers, but unlike traditional dining, they will be different strangers each night. If you want to eat with certain people who you've met on board, then make arrangements with those people to go to dinner at the same time and meet to go in together.

Most specialty restaurants won't put you with others that you don't know. Again, if you meet people who you'd like to dine with at specialty restaurants, then make arrangement with the restaurant to change your reservation to include those people. In most cases, they will be able to accomodate you. Most cases, not all.

I hope that helps. You are going to love the cruise!

Formal nights vary from cruise to cruise, usually working around port days. Your idea of finding someone who has done the same cruise is probably the best bet. Sharing is no problem in Select Dining. You will be asked each time if you want to share. If you reserve a time online before the cruise, you are also given the choice to share. Specialty restaurant will seat you at a table for 2. However, if you meet someone on the cruise, you could reserve a table with them.

Follow up question, are we likely to be able to book Specialty restaurants on board, or is it critical to book ahead now?

I personally never have booked ahead, but then again, there have been occasions where we had to adjust our plans based on availability. If you pre-book, then the cost of the restaurant will be pre-paid. If you have OBC's (On Board Credits supplied as a perk from Celebrity or your Travel Agent), you cannot apply those to pay for the restaurant if you pre book.

Edited by Bobby Dee

We always have a drink before dinner at the Martini bar & have met others there. Last cruise we had dinner 3 times with a couple we met at the Martini bar.

Check the roll call for your cruise & see if there is a Sail Away party. That is another good time to meet folks. Most Sail Away parties are right after the muster drill and are often at either the a Sunset bar or Oceanview Bar.

Hello you dont say which ship you are sailing on, my past experiences are as follows 13/14 day cruises have 3 formal nights, when it comes to dining in Quisine, Tuscan and Murano, you book on board, some nights we did not pay the full price as there was special offers on! Enjoy

When you go to the restaurant under Select Dining, make sure you tell them you want to sit with others.

Edited by dkjretired

Hi All,

Sushi is available every day in the ocean view cafe around 3pm to 5pm. So you can feast when you want.

They do not tend to have set days, it is on the cruise letter each night telling you it is the next day. Ask at guest relations when you board and they will confirm them for you in advance. You should expect 2 or possibly 3 on your length of cruise. First one is normally the first sea day.

No problem - either go online to your booking and pick a time for each day and tick the box that says 'share table' or when you arrive tell them you want to share - they love people that share. We share every day and get to meet new people every day. Avoid 7.30 - go at 7.20 to get to share - lots do 7.30 and you find the big tables have been filled.

No a table for 2, most people who pay extra do it to have a special time together - specialty restaurants are booked by your cabin - best to do it to make friends in the MDR or the roll call and then book a table for more than the 2 of you with your new found friends. When we did qsine, we arrange it on the roll call and 18 of us went - fabulous fun

Try the lawn club grill, you get to make your own starters, throw pizzas and pick your meat from the fridges and grill it with the chef. Also try michaels beer pub, fun quizes and the staff know their beer

Don't miss the martini bar - order a flight and see them make 5 at once

have fun

Hi All,

Sushi is available every day in the ocean view cafe around 3pm to 5pm. So you can feast when you want.

They do not tend to have set days, it is on the cruise letter each night telling you it is the next day. Ask at guest relations when you board and they will confirm them for you in advance. You should expect 2 or possibly 3 on your length of cruise. First one is normally the first sea day.

[/color]

No problem - either go online to your booking and pick a time for each day and tick the box that says 'share table' or when you arrive tell them you want to share - they love people that share. We share every day and get to meet new people every day. Avoid 7.30 - go at 7.20 to get to share - lots do 7.30 and you find the big tables have been filled.

they make the bookings for how many you ask for but don't put people together, either make friends in the MDR or the roll call and arrange to go together with your new found friends. When we did qsine, we arrange it on the roll call and 18 of us went - fabulous fun

Try the lawn club grill, you get to make your own starters, throw pizzas and pick your meat from the fridges and grill it with the chef. Also try michaels beer pub, fun quizes and the staff know their beer

Don't miss the martini bar - order a flight and see them make 5 at once

have fun

Edited by Tiggertastic

Follow up question, are we likely to be able to book Specialty restaurants on board, or is it critical to book ahead now?

I would highly recommend not booking now. My reason is that depending on the cruise, they discount the specialty restaurants -- sometimes heavily.

There is generally a discount the first night, so ask when you board if that is of interest to you. Usually, that's at least 20%. But if people aren't booking the speciality restaurants, they'll heavily discount and even go looking for folks to entice into the specialty restaurants. During our 2012 Silhouette cruise in the Med, the Murano waiters were hanging out near the entrance to Select dining and the Martini bar and offering 50% discounts nearly every night.

Have a great cruise!!

If it's a 7 day cruise, typically the formal nights will be the second night and the second to last night. Unless there is a holiday then that is usually a formal night. If it is a late night in a particular port, they may move the formal night to another night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by cindivan

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206

Go to this link, it is for the roll calls for Celebrity cruises and you can find your roll call for the Silhouette. Also, at the top, notice there is a link to register for the Connections party on your cruise. This is a good idea if you like to meet people, there will be a get together early in the cruise and you'll have a chance to meet others with similar interests and then potentially get together for dinners.