How Many People in Cabana to Make it "Worth it" For you

Paige6187

Title pretty much says it all. I know that multiple people can stay in the cabana with you, but I don't want to share a cabana with strangers.

I have basically ruled out a cabana completely for BF and my cruise in October, but was curious if other people would find the cabana worth it for two people.

I don't think it's worth it...there are plenty of places where you can get away from the masses! Lots of sun and shade available, for free! We found a lovely tree away from the 2 main beaches, so hubby had his shade and I had my sun! We were virtually alone until late afternoon, when folks started strolling around more.....and by then, we were about ready to go!

There is absolutely no need to pay for a cabana!

I have booked cabana for only two people 3 times in the last 6 years. The most recent was on Freedom OTS at Labadee on 9/29/2013 cruise. It is an expensive item but I book it for a couple of reasons.

I love the water and sun but it does NOT like me. I have had skin cancer twice. Yes, I use all kinds of skin care protection. I still get sunburned easily. With the cabana I can go back and forth and spend the day "on the beach" where I could not otherwise.

Also, I have taken a relative who could never walk the distance far less walk on a beach because of her disabilities. I can get assistance transferring her from tender/pier to cabana with a golf cart and she enjoys sightseeing and people watching from the cabana.

I couldn't wait to book a cabana for just me and my husband for next March.

The idea of a comfy lounger, a 'spot' already picked out, cold water at hand and a relaxing day (with a ceiling fan to help create a breeze!) is heaven to me.

We don't get to cruise every year so for us its worth it to splurge on this.

When we sailed HAL's Westerdam, we booked a cabana with Butler Service. There were four of us, and yes, it was expensive, but SOOO worth it! OMG - the service was un.be.liev.ab.le!!! It included adult beverages, snacks and seriously the best surf and turf meal (filet and lobster tails) we have ever had anywhere in our lives. We ordered tray after tray of libations, mimosas and bloody marys and when my hubby asked if they had horseradish for the bloodies, literally they sent a tender to the ship and the purser himself came to our cabana to apologize for them not having had it in the first place! What??? I had to take photos... Unheard of! In the cabana itself we had those lovely foam floaties, towels, beach toys, etc. and a shower (which we did have to chase people away from a couple of times). This is a once-in-a-lifetime sort of thing, but in case you don't get it from the tone of this post, I HIGHLY recommend the splurge if you can possibly swing it (four people does make it a bit easier). Princess doesn't offer the butler service, sadly...

Royal Caribbean has a "cabana attendant." I'm not sure what all this person would do for you. I know you get access to the same buffet that everybody else receives, and you get a cooler with six bottles of water. BF and I will likely have some sort of drink package, so drinks are really a non-issue. I've not heard of a shower with these cabanas . . . but I could see the benefit of having one.

The good thing about the cabana is that I LOVE beach days. I can lay out for quite a while and not get burned. However, BF burns SO easily that beach days aren't really his cup of tea.

I don't think it's worth it...there are plenty of places where you can get away from the masses! Lots of sun and shade available, for free! We found a lovely tree away from the 2 main beaches, so hubby had his shade and I had my sun! We were virtually alone until late afternoon, when folks started strolling around more.....and by then, we were about ready to go!

Always get a kick out of your repeated responses for Labadee. If you get right down to it there really is no need to even go on a cruise, but some people seem to enjoy them as some seem to enjoy the cabanas. Neither are really based on a need, but are one of those things that some people just want to enjoy and are happy to pay for the experience.

Stay home. Then you won't have to spend money on anything!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We always book a cabana for the two of us. We have been to HMC 8 times and have a cabana reserved for HMC and LSC next year. I think for us it is an excursion and something we enjoy so it seems worth it for us. I think this question is very subjective. It's like asking someone if they think the cheers program is worth it. If you asked me I would say definitely no, but then on our 15 day sailing to Hawaii our bar bill was less than 60.00, but if you asked some others they would say yes it is worth it because they drink 15 drinks a day. It is worth what makes you comfortable with the price.

We booked a cabana at Nellie's for just the two of us on our Allure cruise last month. While we did very much enjoy it.....we have decided for just the two of us we won't book another one.

I forget which cabana number we had, but it only had a ladder going down into the water so it was a bit difficult for me to manuver (aluminum steps hurt my feet!). Being 60 I'm not quite as agile as I used to be......:p.

Our attendant was very good, but there was not a lot that we required so he didn't have a hard job with us that day. But of course we did tip him well because he was always available if we had needed anything.

As others has said it is really a personal preference. It was a nice experience, but a bit expensive for us in the future.

Our attendant was very good, but there was not a lot that we required so he didn't have a hard job with us that day. But of course we did tip him well because he was always available if we had needed anything.

What kinds of things does the attendant do for you?

What kinds of things does the attendant do for you?

He is available to go get anything you might want or need especially food or drink wise. He would keep the cabana tidy (while we were swimming) and check on you from time to time to make sure all was okay.

Since this was our first time in a cabana we really didn't know exactly what all was included so we just asked for one drink and that was about it.

He told us he lived there on the island, so was not a direct employee of RCI. He was very nice so we were happy to tip him well at the end of the day.

Lots of "opinions" so I'll add mine. :)

For us, it WAS worth it. Even just for the two of us.

(although the first time, we had 3 other couples on our roll call try and get us to share it with them) :cool:

We ended up with the most private cabana at Nellies. :D (hillside, 2nd from end)

It was like having our own private mini "cottage" and because it was so hot when we visited, we loved having the fan and shade to keep cool.

Our attendant made "several" ;) trips to the bar for us (and was generously tipped afterwards).

We said we probably wouldn't be hungry for lunch until 1'ish, so sure enough, around that time, he came and offered to take us

(through his special shortcut) to the buffet.

Because we went to lunch so late, there was only one other couple, and we got "cooked to order" shrimp skewers for me and a really nice med-rare steak for DW.

All in all, it was a great day, and well worth the $$.

So much so that I didn't really give the newest price increase much matter.

However, since the new bookings at Nellie's won't include the "upgraded buffet", that will be a concern.

Edited by erin_cruisers

Lots of "opinions" so I'll add mine. :)

For us, it WAS worth it. Even just for the two of us.

(although the first time, we had 3 other couples on our roll call try and get us to share it with them) :cool:

We ended up with the most private cabana at Nellies. :D (hillside, 2nd from end)

It was like having our own private mini "cottage" and because it was so hot when we visited, we loved having the fan and shade to keep cool.

Our attendant made "several" ;) trips to the bar for us (and was generously tipped afterwards).

We said we probably wouldn't be hungry for lunch until 1'ish, so sure enough, around that time, he came and offered to take us

(through his special shortcut) to the buffet.

Because we went to lunch so late, there was only one other couple, and we got "cooked to order" shrimp skewers for me and a really nice med-rare steak for DW.

All in all, it was a great day, and well worth the $$.

So much so that I didn't really give the newest price increase much matter.

However, since the new bookings at Nellie's won't include the "upgraded buffet", that will be a concern.

Thank you for your opinion and for the explanation regarding the attendant. The more I read here, the more I lean toward getting a cabana for DBF and me. We are relatively young so our work schedules don't allow us to vacation very much together, and we like to splurge when we do get a chance to let loose!