expired passport - cruise in 11 days

othcruzer

We are traveling in 11 days on the Freedom. As I was doing online checkin .I discovered my sons passport had expired. Called Carnival and was told that he could use his drivers licence. We are going to Caymans and Jamicia. The Carnival rep did not sound to convincing. Any information would be appreciated.Thanks

Hello...I have much experience with this issue. Because this is a closed cruise, meaning leaving from one place and returning to the same, a driver's license and long birth certificate (with a raised seal) will be FINE! My sister just used hers in August. When you get on and off in ports, your son will need his driver's license and ship card. The purpose of the birth certificate is to prove citizenship to customs. I agree with the previous poster who said to bring the expired Passport for extra security. However, you won't have any issues with those documents as long as you have both in hand.

The Carnival rep was accurate.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We are traveling in 11 days on the Freedom. As I was doing online checkin .I discovered my sons passport had expired. Called Carnival and was told that he could use his drivers licence. We are going to Caymans and Jamicia. The Carnival rep did not sound to convincing. Any information would be appreciated.Thanks

You need a birth certificate too (original!) as well as a driver's license. If you are worried or he is worried about if something happens while in port, you could always stay on the ship... If you get left behind or if something bad happened, that would be the only real reason you would need to worry.

I'm from CT. No clue of FL standards/laws. Sorry!!!!! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess the word original in the requirements has us CT people assume the BC has to have a raised seal. But after looking on carnival's website, here is the actual quote: "Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city) and a government issued photo ID if 16 years of age and older."

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Why don't you just book your cruise with name on passport?

Not always a good idea... Have booked grown/married daughter several times under maiden/passport name with no problems until last month. Had medical issue en route to cruise. Would be covered under travel insurance BUT she checked into emergency room using her current name.

We haven't gotten far enough in the insurance process to know if that is gonna be a problem but it will definitely add another layer of confusion.

(DD is fine and we made the cruise embarkation with an hour to spare.)

HAHA - that will NEVER happen in the US! Must be nice though.

Actually I am in the US and I received my renewal/name change and my daughter received hers ( new applicant) in 7 days. This was just last month. That was actually basically 6 because we sent them in on a Saturday and I got them on Friday. You can pay to have overnight passport renewal or a few day service. It will cost, but it is quick. Also, you can pay for expedited service for a week, but you will get your passport before you get your BC back.

My neice in the US did hers in OCtober and did regular service. It was 10 days from mail in to door step.

A simple reply of "In Florida they do not have raised seals on their birth certificates, and I do not believe that it would therefore be accurate to say every birth certificate should have a raised seal."

I hope it made your day better, Maxandmolly, to be certain to point out to someone that they were saying things that are inaccurate. You act like I should be an expert in Birth Certificates ... and since you clearly are, then thanks for pointing out to me that Florida doesn't have a raised seal. Your response, to me personally, is, in my opinion, rude.

Sorry, but I think your response to Cruzin2paradise09 was rude. She did not say anything that would make most of us think she was being rude to you so please don't take it that way.

'

If you live in the United States, you could have changed your passport to your married name for free, within the first year of marriage. My DIL found this out when she changed hers, 14 mos after and had to pay.

I'll have to look into this, I was reading the us passport site as saying that if the passport was issued within 1 year prior of name change it was free, and any changes on year 2 - 10 was a full renewal fee.

I'm a newlywed, and and traveling under maiden name due to what I thought would be the fees for a corrected passport.

First, NO ONE needs a passport for a closed loop cruise. As long as you have a birth certificate, and a photo ID , you will be fine.

There was a time that an expired passport was good as ID for a period of time after expiration, cause I used that once, but I do not know if that is true any longer. If anyone knows, it would be appreciated.

Part of the reason the Carnival Triumph did not limp back into port in Progresso back in February was because there were too many people who traveled without passports and getting them back home was going to be a hassle.

That is not even remotely true.

With that logic, even going to Mobile, made it an open loop cruise, and would have required all passengers to have a passport there as well. Yet all the paperwork was handled by Carnival.

Even the Dream became an open loop cruise when it "broke down". Yet everyone got back hassle free.

First, NO ONE needs a passport for a closed loop cruise. As long as you have a birth certificate, and a photo ID , you will be fine.

There was a time that an expired passport was good as ID for a period of time after expiration, cause I used that once, but I do not know if that is true any longer. If anyone knows, it would be appreciated.

An expired passport is still proof of citizenship according to the State Department website, however it is not listed as a WHTI compliant document in the DHS regulations.

I'll have to look into this, I was reading the us passport site as saying that if the passport was issued within 1 year prior of name change it was free, and any changes on year 2 - 10 was a full renewal fee.

I'm a newlywed, and and traveling under maiden name due to what I thought would be the fees for a corrected passport.

Daughter had to pay full price to change her name because her passport was more than 12 months old. I believe the free change is only if your passport is less than a year old.

You're right, with the closed loop cruise. Maybe the rules have changed for an expired passport, but I recall that I was able to use my expired passport once too. I think there was a rule that as long as the expiration date was not longer than six mos. from the date of the cruise.

He could travel with his DL, but passport would be better. If you are near a passport office you could possibly get one issued the same day. I don't know how many passport offices exist in each state, but in Canada, and the province I live in, a passport office is close enough to drive to in two to three hours.

I applied for my passport, Canadian of course, and it was in my mailbox five business days later! It was also the new 5yr enhanced passport, of which I only paid the standard $87, vs $120 cost it would have set me back one week later. I wasn't the only one thinking of renewing before the cost went up. Around 100+ others were doing the same thing that morning!

That is not even remotely true.

With that logic, even going to Mobile, made it an open loop cruise, and would have required all passengers to have a passport there as well. Yet all the paperwork was handled by Carnival.

Even the Dream became an open loop cruise when it "broke down". Yet everyone got back hassle free.

Maybe if you had read further you would have seen the link to an article. And I think you are misunderstanding what happened.

He could travel with his DL, but passport would be better. If you are near a passport office you could possibly get one issued the same day. I don't know how many passport offices exist in each state, but in Canada, and the province I live in, a passport office is close enough to drive to in two to three hours.

I applied for my passport, Canadian of course, and it was in my mailbox five business days later! It was also the new 5yr enhanced passport, of which I only paid the standard $87, vs $120 cost it would have set me back one week later. I wasn't the only one thinking of renewing before the cost went up. Around 100+ others were doing the same thing that morning!

When did you get yours done? I got mine in October I went to the passport office on Monday at 4pm and my passport was in my hands on Friday! I am actually really surprised it came that fast too because I had gotten married since my last passport(it expired in July). Also did you get yours before the 10 year ones were available? I got the 10 year it was only $160. I really like the new Canadian passport, they are really pretty.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

HAHA - that will NEVER happen in the US! Must be nice though.

If you have proof of travel in us you can get your passport same day. Have to be traveling within certain amount if days. You should call passport office and they will guide you. Had to do that with my daughter last year she was going to Poland. We had to drive about an hour to special office and both parents had to be present but we did get her passport the same day ( Monday) she was leaving Thursday.

Like others have mentioned, you *CAN* get a passport rather quickly if you go to a passport agency. (Not a post office, not mailed in, etc... They require an appointment and they do all of it right there in the same office.)

My husband went to ours in El Paso and even with them mailing the new one to us, we received it in just a few days. (Could have received it even quicker if he went back to the passport agency to pick it up.) Like the attached link says, you have to pay the usual fee, plus $60 for expedited.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html