Guys!! perfect bmi for a girl?? please help!

Athena.delta

Hello :)

I know this question is subject to personal opinion, but please tell me what you think!! Reason I'm asking this is I don't want to feel selfconscious if I don't have to, but if I do then... too bad for me :(

I am 164cm tall, 51kg.. bmi of 19.1. I know this is normal.. but I have no thigh gap or anything, and I'm not model thin of course.

another question, do guys like toned girls/bulky girls or petite, skinny girls??

I'm weight training to lean muscle, NOT bulk!! and I don't want to have jiggly bits, esp under arms.

I'm on a strict diet/exercise plan as there's less than a month till my cruise. I really want to walk around without feeling self cautious about my touching upper thighs!! Which is really hard when you're in a dress/shorts.

Final question: what do guys think when they see girls train in the gym who aren't skinny?? first thoughts? because I'll be spending some time in the weights area apart from cardio..

Other than that I'll enjoy the cruise :D

thanks

thank you!! :)

You need to stop worrying about all of this. First of all, a guy worth having won't care about your BMI. Next, different guys like different body types on women. There is no one size fits all answer.

These women don't have thigh gap, do they look fat to you?

http://www.andersruff.com/custom-printable-parties/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/venus-williams-fashion-show-15.jpg

I'm on a strict diet/exercise plan as there's less than a month till my cruise. I really want to walk around without feeling self cautious about my touching upper thighs!! Which is really hard when you're in a dress/shorts.

Final question: what do guys think when they see girls train in the gym who aren't skinny?? first thoughts? because I'll be spending some time in the weights area apart from cardio..

I hope you DO enjoy your cruise, and please, PLEASE don't worry about "thigh gap". It's completely meaningless as far as fitness and health are concerned, and is just designed to make women who don't have it feel badly about themselves.

And honestly, who cares what guys (or anyone) think when they see girls/women who aren't skinny, training in the gym? The only thing that matters is that you are there, doing the training you feel is good for you.

Please don't be so self-conscious, and enjoy your trip!

This 'thigh gap' thing I've been reading about is so ridiculous! Many of the pictures I've seen of women who have the 'gap' show someone who is really way too thin--and they can look kind of bow-legged or knock-kneed to me.

Besides that, the is gap thing is partly genetic. I've lost some weight recently, which is good, but even at 5'3" and 142, age 68 I still had a 'gap'. It's just the way I am built, not because I was super-skinny.

Please, please don't get sucked into this kind of thing. I have also seen pictures on some of these web sites where holocaust-type victims were being held up as what to strive for as to body shape. Seriously! People who weighed like 80 pounds!

Guys like all different body types and from what I can tell many do not like the super skinny anorexic type. You should be pleasing yourself and working towards a strong and healthy body, not some random guy. Staying at a healthy weight is a good goal, but not striving for some model-like frame which most of us cannot and shouldn't achieve.

Really, don't worry about the BMI issue. BMI was never originally meant to be an individual indicator. It was meant to be used for population studies. BMI is a joke anyway. Most lean bodybuilders are considered "Obese" on a BMI Scale. Keep training with the weights. "Strong is the new skinny" is now the slogan. Don't worry if your progress is not going as fast as you hoped. Slow progress is STILL progress. It's all about the journey anyway. Keep up the great work in changing you lifestyle. Shoot me a message when you get a chance. I always like to meet others on the path to changing their lives.

Don't worry about it, just smile, laugh, have fun. I've seen a lot of people on ships that should not be in a bathing suit and they are having fun and who cares what others think! This is just me talking but I don't like to see bones. A nice smile and laugh at my jokes, that what we (I) want, like!:D

And, yes you can wear a bikini, if the 5'3" and 112 lbs. is close to your build. (I'm too lazy to do the conversion myself.) You will rock it! From what I can tell, a lot of boys/men don't like the super skinny scrawny types anyway.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

another question, do guys like toned girls/bulky girls or petite, skinny girls??

There is no ONE answer to that! I knew a guy in grad school who thought I was too big while being a strong size 8. My biker legs were just too bulky for him, and my strong arms were not attractive to him. he ended up marrying a girl with loose all over, but who was otherwise skinny. She was thin to him, so even though HE was strong and lean and firm, he didn't want someone who matched him.

Plenty of other guys I've known liked all sorts of different body shapes and types. Some men like many shapes and sizes; attraction varies quite a bit!

Just like women in general don't like any ONE type of guy, it's the same for men.

As for thigh gap, yeah, that's not something worth worrying about. My MIL has "thigh gap". She also has incredibly bowed legs because of childhood malnutrition. Is that a tradeoff that's worth it?

The currently hyped "thigh gap" is just one of many short-lived demands of the fashion industry. Soon they'll move on to some other hard-to-achieve standard such as extra-long fingers or tiny feet or fifteen inch waists. Who knows what nonsense the fashion industry will expect of women next?

I wouldn't get caught up in some fad beauty standard because, believe me, those standards change really fast and are quickly forgotten when some arbitrary new standard gains favor.

On a cruise ship, most people are more concerned about how they look than worrying about other passengers' "underarm bits", 'kankles" and "thigh gaps." Please, just relax and have a great time. Don't lose any sleep over trying to achieve nearly impossible standards of beauty set by the fashion industry.

Also remember that practically every model/actress/celebrity picture you see in print has been photo-shopped or airbrushed beyond recognition. Most of these people don't look that beautiful, slim, taut, perfect, whatever, either. without all the digital manipulating, lighting, expert make-up and hair, etc.