Water on the cruise

Hello,

I am a massive, and I accentuate, MASSIVE fan of sparkling mineral water. It is a fantastic alternative to sugary soft drinks and still has the fizz! :) I mean carbon dioxide ;)

Anyway, keeping in mind that all the food, including seafood, juices, etc are free... can you get sparkling mineral water on the cruise? Or do you have to purchase a soft drink package? how much is that by the way?

Can someone please explain why they charge for water when there are some more expensive food around which is for free.

Thank you!! :)

I know you can get sparkling water in the upcharge restaurants (like Giovannis). Don't know about the MDR. Maybe in the bars. But there will be a charge. The water package, to my knowledge, offers only Evian. The reason that they charge for bottled water is the same reason they charge for soda. Soda is cheaper than "more expensive food" also, but that isn't the point. The point is that drinks, other than coffee, tea, and some juices are extra. It works the same in restaurants. You can get free tap water but pay for bottled water. Simply, it's an attempt to make a profit.

There is rarely any problem bringing water onboard. We do that every cruise. Load up a roll aboard with a case of water and take it through security. They'll check for integrity to make sure you aren't smuggling booze, but we have never had a problem. You can send it in luggage but run the risk of being called down to have it inspected, then you need to carry it yourself to your room.

Can someone please explain why they charge for water when there are some more expensive food around which is for free.

Thank you!! :)

Of course the food is not free - it is included in your cruise fare. That is a given and is included as such because everyone on board needs to eat each day.

But not everyone on board will drink bottled water, or soda, or - in your case - sparkling mineral water. So that is not included in everyone's cruise fare, but charged separately for those who want it.

This is a fair system as, otherwise, everyone's cruise rate would be higher to pay for only those who want the extras.