Meeting friends on Cruise!! Teenagers

Hello,

I'm a 17 year old and I am cruising with my family (brother, parents and grandparents). Although it's fun hanging out with my 22 yr old brother at the gym and doing scavenger hunts, making gingerbread men, etc, sometimes it's nice to make some new friends, especially with so many people on board!!

last time i made friends with people we ate with, but that was pretty much it. apart from when they pulled me on stage to play the piano in the theatre everyone started waving.

But as a 17 year old girl, with the clubs all restricted to 18 years and over, where do I hang out to make friends?? Can you make friends in the gym? as well as working out of course. I don't want to go to the teen club, because they're for 14-17 yr olds. most would be younger, i'd guess.

Thank you!!

I want to hang out with 18+ people because there's more of a topic of conversation, and more fun! I'm quite mature lol :)

Thanks!

Well, I am going to sound like a mother here (which I am), so apologies in advance for that.

If you go into the cruise with pre set criteria of who you will and will not spend time with, based on minor ages differences and the like, you are likely not to meet many people.

I suggest that you try out the teen club for the first couple of nights at the least. My kids (currently 16 and 14) have found that the age ranges can vary greatly from sailing to sailing. Sometimes it is heavily tilted younger and sometimes older. Sometimes it is really a mix. Likewise with genders (oddly, on nearly all of our RCI cruises, there have been 3-4 boys in the teen group for every one girl).

The kids usually find a group that they click with within the first night or two and then often the groups meet up at the teen club but head out to other areas of the ship to spend time together in the evenings. For an example of how that worked on our last cruise:

**DS14 found fellow chess enthusiasts at the teen club and they often met at the fixed boards in Safari lounge (this was a Randiance class ship--I do not believe other classes have chess boards or pool tables permanently out--but I may be wrong) or to play pool in the same place. Their group was joined by a 20 year old who came up and asked if he could play the winner and they all ended up getting along, attending shows together, etc.

My main advice if you want to meet people is to get out and DO things, ask to join others or have them join you and be open to meeting all kinds of people of all ages.

Other places that my kids have met others:

trivia: This is a good place to meet people--just go up and ask to join a team, or invite someone to join yours. This will be all ages. Examples below.

**last cruise , DD16 met a 17 year old boy who she ended up spending quite a bit of time with. He, like you, had thought going to the teen club was pointless. He ended up having a lot of fun hanging out with DD and another 17 year old boy and wishing he had gone to the club early on and not missed out on the first 5 days of good times--luckily it was a 12 night cruise. The group spent times together at all hours--from meeting up for breakfast, to lunch and games by the pool to late night talks.

**DD16 also met and befriended three older ladies (one travelling alone and a pair together). She enjoyed playing trivia with them often, and also set up times to play scrabble with one and have breakfast with another.

**DS14 joined a group for trivia one night-- I think they were comprised of people from 3 other groups, all in their 40s and 50s. He got along very well with them and was on their team for many trivia and other games, they cheered him on in other competitions, etc.

Open seating breakfast or lunch If you dine in the dining room, you will be placed with others--make conversation and get to know people. DH and I are still on facebook with two young women we met at breakfast last May. They are hoping to come and visit us in Germany next year. Very nice girls, in their young 20s. After meeting at breakfast we spent time together around the pool, were on the same Quest team, etc.

Sports court ask to join in a game (same applies for ping pong)

You can certainly try the gym. From what I have seen, most people are in there to work out and then get back to the fun and are not in as social of a mode as they are at other venues.

Edited by NHDisneylover

Hello,

I'm a 17 year old and I am cruising with my family (brother, parents and grandparents). Although it's fun hanging out with my 22 yr old brother at the gym and doing scavenger hunts, making gingerbread men, etc, sometimes it's nice to make some new friends, especially with so many people on board!!

last time i made friends with people we ate with, but that was pretty much it. apart from when they pulled me on stage to play the piano in the theatre everyone started waving.

But as a 17 year old girl, with the clubs all restricted to 18 years and over, where do I hang out to make friends?? Can you make friends in the gym? as well as working out of course. I don't want to go to the teen club, because they're for 14-17 yr olds. most would be younger, i'd guess.

Thank you!!

I want to hang out with 18+ people because there's more of a topic of conversation, and more fun! I'm quite mature lol :)

Thanks!

I have been cruising throughout my teenage years (I am now 21) and I found the best way to meet new people is to attend the teen club on the first day. I often didn't attend the club until later into the cruise and I always regretted it. Once you have met a few people in the teen club you can then make plans with or without the people you have met, at least you have the choice. :D

Also I always found the Internet cafe/library area was a good place to meet people.

If all fails sneak into the nightclub :eek: :eek: don't tell anyone I said that!!!!

Hi Athena,

Also as a mum, and also with a 16 yr old daughter, I second everything that NHDisneylover said.

You didn't mention what ship you are sailing on but, on RCI at least, (and probably on most lines) there is always a teen get-together scheduled for the first evening and it is definitely a good idea to go to that if there is one on your ship. The time will be in the cruise compass (for RCI) or equivalent.

Remember, with the exception of folks doing b2b cruises, everyone else will be new too and looking for new friends to hang out with, and this gives you a good chance to meet cruisers your own age.

There will probably also be specific facilities for teens, like their own club or whatever and you may also find that on one (or more nights) the main night club will be reserved for teens only for a certain amount of time.

The thing to remember with the teen clubs is that they are very come-and-go as you please; you're not tied down the way the younger kids are. There will be organised activities but you join in or not as suits your mood.

Hope this helps and you have a great cruise. :)

I asked my DD, now 21 yrs, what she did on the cruise when she was 17.

She went to the kids club and met many other 17 year olds. Also, the hot tubs in the evenings were loaded with 16-20 yr olds.

Also, it is soooo important to go to the club the first night!

Edited by didicruiser

I asked my DD, now 21 yrs, what she did on the cruise when she was 17.

She went to the kids club and met many other 17 year olds. Also, the hot tubs in the evenings were loaded with 16-20 yr olds.

Also, it is soooo important to go to the club the first night!

Hot tub is a good suggestion.

Another here who suggests going to the teen club on the first night to see who might be there. Each cruise is different and you never know who else will be sailing with you so give it a chance.

If you don't meet other there try the sports court, or if you really want to meet up with the 18+ crowd see where they are doing their meet and greet. If people show, sometime nobody does, see the age ranges/interest there.

If you go with an open mind and not strict expectations on an age you want to meet you will fine.

Agree with other posters. My DS was 15 on our FOS cruise in May '13. He had a blast in the teen club and said there were teens that were 17 in there.

He made quite a few friends on that cruise and still FB's them and there are a few that he calls often.

At least go and give it a try the first couple days and see what you think - you're not committed to it and you don't have to be there all day - come and go as you please.

You may never know what fun you could have if you don't at least give it a try!

Have fun!

Check out my linked Allure review in my signature...my teen daughters (16 & 18) included some advice and you will see they met and hung out with gang they are still in touch with!

They have lots of advice since their group was mixed 15- 20, so no "teen center" but they found their places and I bet you will too! Good luck!!:D

Hello,

Thank you!!

Thanks!

Great suggestions so far!

Check out your ship/sailing date on the 'roll call' forums here. Start chatting with those that have already signed up and see if there are young adults like yourself who would be interested in meeting up once onboard. Safety in numbers and all that stuff. (couldn't... resist... parental... instinct)

Have a great cruise!

Brig

My 16 year old met people of her own age on a cruise with less than 200 under 18s on it. Honestly, my advice is to stop worrying about making friends, go to the teen club on the first day, relax, be yourself and enjoy meeting new people. Some 15 year olds are rally mature, some 20 year olds are really immature - just see who you click with.

Have a fab time x

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have been cruising throughout my teenage years (I am now 21) and I found the best way to meet new people is to attend the teen club on the first day. I often didn't attend the club until later into the cruise and I always regretted it. Once you have met a few people in the teen club you can then make plans with or without the people you have met, at least you have the choice. :D

I second this advice. I cruised extensively in my teens (seems like ages ago now lol) and I always went to the teen club on the first night and always made friends, every single time! Good luck and try not to worry too much about it... I always found that way more than half the battle is just showing up. There will always be plenty of others in the same exact position you are and you'll be happy to have found each other!

Edited by Dave85