Mega Ships Versus Normal ships What think you?

Evangaline

We sailed on Oasis & Allure when each was new, and absolutely loved the ships. (Especially the Solarium!) We probably won't do them again, because the ports don't vary enough, and they (especially Oasis) are way too expensive. We didn't spend a lot of time in the interior spaces, found plenty of ways to enjoy the ocean & sky.

We think the larger ships are amazing. Innovative. Beautiful. They seem to offer something for everyone. Lots of activities, and lots of places to just sit and do nothing - inside or outside.

Quantum looks interesting, but we'd prefer to sail out of Florida. I think she is supposed to do some sailings out of Florida at some point, so we may give her a try. Definitely will sail Anthem if she begins her sailings out of Florida or Southampton!

We've sailed on Freedom class & Voyager class ... I think that Liberty is my favorite ship of all, but I like the Voyager class a little better.

We've also sailed on some much smaller HAL ships - Prinsendam, Statendam - and they are absolutely beautiful. We've sailed on HAL primarily for the itineraries. We'll be on Nautica next spring, which will be our smallest ship so far.

We haven't had any problems going back & forth from one size to another. Maybe we're just too easy to please!

I'm on the opposite side of a few of you, I started with the small ships and have been working my way up in size. As I have not yet been on a ship with a promenade, I have been lucky enough to always have a connection with the sea. I will say however that even on the smaller ships, the window space around the centrum is continually being removed to add more staterooms.

The moment I step on a ship I feel like a kid on Christmas. I want to run around and see everything. I think when I get to the larger ships I will have to plan a route that includes rest stops and meal breaks.

I just got off my first sailing on the Allure. Great ship and cruise and everyone should try it once. I'll probably go on that class of ship again, but I wouldn't pay a premium to sail on it. Next cruise will probably be on the Freedom class again.

Was your cruise affected by the propulsion problem? Just wondering since we have a cruise on the Allure coming up.

Thanks for your reply in advance!

By next May...we will have sailed on the top 4 size RCI ships.

Good insight, but can you please fix your signature? Your countdown clocks should be up and down not across, otherwise you make the window so wide we can't read all of what people are posting.

While I am trying RCI (Adventure of the Seas), it will be by far the largest ship I have yet to sail on. I found Disney Magic at ~90k tons as big enough, and having sailed across the Pacific twice and Atlantic 3 times as a kid, on a ship of about 26K tons, I am slowly working my way up!

To me, some of the things are more for kids and young couples (flowrider and rock climbing I will pass on, but the ice rink show and different places to eat, and an adult pool area are fine.

After the Concordia accident, I don't want to be on a ship in distress that has 6000+ people never mind the crew compliment. The Adventure will be big enough for me! I just pray I don't find the ship like being on a sardine can packed in with over 3000 people. Seems most people find Voyager Class fine, so I am eager to try it.

FWIW

It's all good. Have been on some of the smallest and the largest. But to those of you who think the big ships are just too big and you've never even been on one, they are so big you can always find secluded and private areas. If you've never done it, perhaps you aren't the most qualified to express an opinion.

Edited by Upandadam

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=360

Some people don't quite have the terms of ship sizes defined quite right. Luckily, our friends at CC have sorted it all out for us! My own opinion?

If you are only going to go one one cruise in your lifetime, read up and choose wisely;) I like a small ship to go to small or sensitive places, I like the value of big ships to go to well trodden places, where I will already have plenty of company when I get there.

I've been on ships with 100, 300, 1000, 2500, 6000; have yet to have a bad cruise:D

We enjoy the newer, larger ships. Our last cruise on a smaller, older ship, the Explorer, was my least favorite cruise. Is it a "bad" ship, certainly not! Did we have a good time? Of course... we are on a cruise, silly! I learned a valuable lesson about our family preferences on that sailing.

I can't wait for Quantum!!! Having said that, I appreciate the diversity of opinions on this board...and thankfully there is a ship to meet everyone's needs and wants:D

For those who have sailed navigator Any comments. I sailed allure last year and too big for me. April I am booked for navigator so curious how it is. Thank you

Jamie

Navigator is a great Voyager class ship. We loved our cruises on her (bben a while though) and have two booked for the future. ;)

Famous last words. I have personally known 4 people who said that and changed their mind after actually doing that. Online I would say 80% of people who say that change their mind when they actually try it.

If I had my choice of being in this office or on almost any ship, the choice is clear.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. :) I was on the Mariner last year and I'll be on the Navigator in a couple of weeks. That's PLENTY big enough for me. :)

When I started cruising with RCCL the ships started with the word "Song". Things sure have changed over the years as far as ship size. I've been avoiding the Mega ship thing for a while. I would see the Oasis or Allure in port and think - no way - too big. But I decided to just try it and see what the hoopla is about. I can say my favorite class is the Radiance for size of ship. I don't like to spend all day hiking to get anywhere.

Haven't sailed the Oasis Class, our largest was the LOS and prior to that, the Brilliance and Radiance of the Seas. For us the Radiance Class is right for us, we have wonderful views of the ocean, and know we are on a ship. We probably will give the Oasis class a try to say we have done that and am sure we will totally enjoy all the extra features, but am comfortable with the 2500 to 3,00- passenger range & 90,000 ton Radiance Class.

We were on the Maiden voyage of both the Oasis and Allure. Loved them both. Never ran out of anything to do. My choice, after sailing on many different size ships, would be the Freedom class ships, although, the Celebrity Solstice Class would be a close second.

We usually book a balcony, so if I want a view of the ocean, I just sit on my balcony and relax.

Edited by Little Buddy's Mom

but NEWEST is always better, in my opinion. I love the sleek, modern, art-filled interiors of Oasis and Allure and the many places to see the ocean on those ships despite opinions to the contrary. I have been on both and they are my favorite ships thus far. I never felt crowded on either and felt that crowd flow was betterr handled on these ships than any others I have sailed.

Some of the older ships are better in term of itinerary, but some look like old, dark-hued props from Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride and that is very unappealing to me. Update those smaller ships or build new smaller ships with light, sleek contemporary-style interiors and I will be happy to try those.

To each his/her own, but I cruise for three reasons:

1. The feeling of being AT sea; having the ocean perpetually visible to remind me that I'm out in the middle of the ocean.
  2. To visit multiple locations on the same vacation, unpacking once.
  3. The incredible service.

I find #1 and #2 to be lacking on the larger ships. The focus on the mega-ships is INWARD, toward the unique features like Boardwalk, Central Park and carnival-type rides. The focus on the smaller ships (think Radiance Class) is OUTWARD, making the ocean the STAR attraction. The mega-ships have a very limited number of ports of call available to them. . . . . . .

My thoughts exactly.

Was your cruise affected by the propulsion problem? Just wondering since we have a cruise on the Allure coming up.

Thanks for your reply in advance!

We had a little shorter day in Nassau, but not a big deal. I didn't know there was a problem while we were on board. We were on the Oct 12 cruise.

I've been on Allure and found the cruise to be fantastic! That being said, I'd like to say that I prefer the smaller ships. Mind you, I've never had a bad cruise, but the best have been on smaller ships. I find them more "intimate". Voyager class is the largest ship I'll go on now. Of course I will have to try Quantum when it goes in service.

Elvis

We finally got to Allure this past summer. Going on Serenade in three months. It will be interesting to see how going down three sizes will feel. I love Radiance class ships, so I'm not worried.

It's funny to think that every one of Royal's designs was "the largest in the world" when it was introduced. Once upon a time Majesty was called a mega ship and people complained that it was too big!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

I don't get the "no views of the seas" comments. If you want to sit at an interior bar and be able to look out a window, then maybe not. Spending 20 seconds in a glass elevator? So, get an oceanview balcony, spend some time on it, walk and sit on the lower exterior promenade, walk or sit on the upper pool decks along the railings, play shuffleboard behind the aqua theater, lots of places to "connect" with the ocean.

I think some of the excuse for not liking the Allure and Oasis is "cost" related?:confused:

We enjoy the newer, larger ships. Our last cruise on a smaller, older ship, the Explorer, was my least favorite cruise. Is it a "bad" ship, certainly not! Did we have a good time? Of course... we are on a cruise, silly! I learned a valuable lesson about our family preferences on that sailing.

I can't wait for Quantum!!! Having said that, I appreciate the diversity of opinions on this board...and thankfully there is a ship to meet everyone's needs and wants:D

Funny that my experience was the opposite. I kept going up in size, first on Carnival, then on Royal. My first RCL cruise was on a Voyager Class, then Freedom. Then...I stepped down in size because I preferred the Radiance Class ship's itinerary to the one Adventure was doing in the southern Caribbean. Wow! Like you, it was an eye opener for me. Rather than being disappointed, it taught me what I prefer in a cruise ship. I'd actually felt Freedom was too big, but loved Adventure and expected to miss the Promenade and Ice Rink. Instead, I LOVED the smaller ship, the more intimate atmosphere, the lovely solarium and THE VIEWS!!! I was surprised to realize that for me and ships, smaller is better.

And to Curt's point, if you do an image search for Radiance Class ships, you'll understand what we're talking about. It's nearly impossible to find a room - other than the theatre - that doesn't have a wall of windows. The ocean is nearly ALWAYS visible from a radiance class ship.

Edited by printingchick

I don't get the "no views of the seas" comments.

I think some of the excuse for not liking the Allure and Oasis is "cost" related?:confused:

Don't think so. I paid a lot more for The Pride of America than I did the Oasis for the same large balcony cabin type. It's Hawaii, right?

Don't get me wrong. The Oasis was fun. The entertainment was top. Rising Tide Bar was a hoot etc. But feeling of being at sea is just not the same. It's not about just finding a spot to look at the sea. It's about feeling like you are at sea. When we boarded the Pride of America, I was surprised to discover this. It jumped out at me.

We loved our Allure cruise and she ranks at the top of our list of best cruises ever, but she's far from being our ideal size.

During the last few years, we've sailed different cruise lines. We thought that 89,000 tons was too small, and 225,000 tons was too big. Our "perfect size" is in the 110-130,000 ton range.

If I have to pick one ship based on SIZE ONLY, Carnival Liberty (110,000 tons) wins. She was ideal for us.

Funny that my experience was the opposite. I kept going up in size, first on Carnival, then on Royal. My first RCL cruise was on a Voyager Class, then Freedom. Then...I stepped down in size because I preferred the Radiance Class ship's itinerary to the one Adventure was doing in the southern Caribbean. Wow! Like you, it was an eye opener for me. Rather than being disappointed, it taught me what I prefer in a cruise ship. I'd actually felt Freedom was too big, but loved Adventure and expected to miss the Promenade and Ice Rink. Instead, I LOVED the smaller ship, the more intimate atmosphere, the lovely solarium and THE VIEWS!!! I was surprised to realize that for me and ships, smaller is better.

And to Curt's point, if you do an image search for Radiance Class ships, you'll understand what we're talking about. It's nearly impossible to find a room - other than the theatre - that doesn't have a wall of windows. The ocean is nearly ALWAYS visible from a radiance class ship.

I'll be back on a Radiance class ship in about two hours :):) and will enjoy the views but miss the interior promenade and all those activities.

Edited by cruzincurt

I don't get the "no views of the seas" comments. If you want to sit at an interior bar and be able to look out a window, then maybe not. Spending 20 seconds in a glass elevator? So, get an oceanview balcony, spend some time on it, walk and sit on the lower exterior promenade, walk or sit on the upper pool decks along the railings, play shuffleboard behind the aqua theater, lots of places to "connect" with the ocean.

I have to agree. I didn't have any problems seeing the water on either Allure or Oasis. ;)