Curious as to why there are no female CD's

CaribbeanLuver

I would think it would be a special woman to do this...

If you are married...or perhaps have children, would you be willing to be away from them for long periods of time? More difficult for a woman, I would think...Just my guess.

I think this is a very 1950's view point. There are plenty of women who are choosing not to get married or have children. There are also plenty of women in their 20's who will wait until they are older. I don't see how this would be any more difficult for a woman than it is for a man.

I think this is a very 1950's view point. There are plenty of women who are choosing not to get married or have children. There are also plenty of women in their 20's who will wait until they are older. I don't see how this would be any more difficult for a woman than it is for a man.

Right! There are lots of other women officers and staff members on board. Those women have families, somewhere, right? :D

haha, agree with this.

Another question is why all of Carnival's capt's are Italian?

I had heard that originally, the owner of Carnival (Was that Mickey Ariston?) was told that all the best captains were Italian. Therefore, he only hired Italians for the job.

I'm betting a lot of money that the person who told him that was Italian.... (I'm Italian - I can make jokes...)

I would think it would be a special woman to do this...

If you are married...or perhaps have children, would you be willing to be away from them for long periods of time? More difficult for a woman, I would think...Just my guess.

Why would this be different for a CD than any of the other female crew members? I have met many Special Women working on cruise ships. Our head waitress on the Pride had just come back from a 2 month break after having her 3rd child. She said her Carnival job is paying for private school for here 2 older children and will pay for all 3 to go to college. She would only get to spend a few hours each week in her home port with her baby but was making a better life for everyone in her family.

Royal Caribbean has Captain Karin Stahre-Janson and might still have Lis Lauritzen. P&O has Captain Sarah Breton, and Cunard's Captain Inger Olsen. And it appears Silversea promoted Margrith Ettlin to Captain of the Silver Explorer earlier this year.

So while there is still a disproportionate number of men vs. women at the helm, these women are breaking new ground in the cruise line industry.

...So while there is still a disproportionate number of men vs. women at the helm, these women are breaking new ground in the cruise line industry.

The phases "breaking new ground" and "women at the helm" probably shouldn't be used in the same sentence. :eek: I thought "not breaking new ground" was lesson number one at Captain's school. ;)