Area and hotel recommendations near port- Venice

Travel luv

I am in the process of researching hotels to stay pre-cruise in Venice. Can you all recommend the best area to stay in that is near the port, but also near areas that we might want to visit?

Please also recommend hotels 4* and above if you can.

Thanks

Venice is very small so don't be too concerned about proximity to the sights. The pier area is the first point of entry to Venice so it's probably the furthest away from the 'sights', yet you can walk to St Marks in an hr or walk 2 blocks to the Grand Canal and take a vaporeto to St Marks.

A bigger issue for most people is managing their luggage. Most people on cruises overpack and have too much luggage for the bridges and uneven surfaces. If you spring for a water taxi ( 110E), you can stay anywhere in Venice as long as the hotel is near a dock. Otherwise, the pier (Piazzale Roma) is the most convenient area to stay. The ATVO express bus, public buses and taxis all drop passengers at Piazzale Roma. And it's also where you could catch a cab to the pier. The Papadopoli is probably the closest 4 star hotel to the PRoma ( 1 small bridge to cross). Check out this web site for other options (and other helpful information): http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/

I've just come from a stopover in Venice and stayed at the Gritti Palace, a traditional Venetian style perfectly hotel located on the Grand Canal, great views of the Santa Maria Basilica and has outdoor dining right on the canal. Normally I couldn't afford this hotel but I booked via Reservation Scanner for 70% off tarrif, not to be sniffed at ;)

I suggest you look into hotels in Santa Croce, near the Piazzale Roma.

If you're coming from the airport, Piazzale Roma is probably the first major landmark you pass (whether by bus or by car).

Also, it is really close to the "people mover" to the cruise terminal. For example Hotel Moresco is a 4-star hotel with excellent reviews (I haven't actually been there, but I did some quick research). You have to walk a bit further to e.g. San Marco (or take one of the vaporetto part of the way).

A big advantage of being closer to the cruise terminal, however, is you do not have to drag your suitcases around the city. Not recommended in these narrow streets!

Also note, the closer you get to San Marco square, the more expensive the food&drink gets.

Edited by WouterC

You could book a hotel close to Piazza de Roma. The Piazza is very close to the port and from there you can decide if you would like to walk the sights in Venice or take the vaporretto. Piazza de Roma is the main hub for vaporettos in Venice.

Hotels in the area are Best Western Hotel Olimpia, Hotel Arlecchino.

A bit further away you will find the Hotel Carlton on the Grand Canal.

There are other properties close to P de Roma but not 4*.

You could book a hotel close to Piazza de Roma. The Piazza is very close to the port and from there you can decide if you would like to walk the sights in Venice or take the vaporretto. Piazza de Roma is the main hub for vaporettos in Venice.

Hotels in the area are Best Western Hotel Olimpia, Hotel Arlecchino.

A bit further away you will find the Hotel Carlton on the Grand Canal.

There are other properties close to P de Roma but not 4*.

We actually stayed in the Hotel Arlecchino last year, excellent location. Service was very good and our room was clean and comfortable, although a little small (I'm guessing most rooms in Venice are quite small though).

It's a 3-star hotel though, which is why I did not mention it, since the OP is looking for 4 or 5 star hotels.

Edited by WouterC

We actually stayed in the Hotel Arlecchino last year, excellent location. Service was very good and our room was clean and comfortable, although a little small (I'm guessing most rooms in Venice are quite small though).

It's a 3-star hotel though, which is why I did not mention it, since the OP is looking for 4 or 5 star hotels.

To my knowledge there are no 4-5 star properties at Piazza de Roma.

The closest 4 star is the Carlton 3 kilometers away.

I have stayed in many 3 star hotels which has been as comfortable as those with 4 stars.

I would say the standard is a bit higher in Venice then lets say Rome or Florence.

The rooms in these old buildings to tend to be on the small side.

Keep in mind that the star system you are used to is not the same in Europe. A three star in the US is often not great--and most of us would turn up our noses at a two star. I have stayed in many lovely hotels/inns in Europe that are two or three star that are just perfect. They are not 'grand' but they are typically European; charming, furnished often with lovely antiques, generally enormous bathrooms with huge tubs, etc. We stayed at a three star hotel in Venice that was a converted palazzo, as many are. Hotel Ai due Principi. It had silk-covered walls, beautiful moldings, a great view over a small canal, a separate dressing area, etc. You get the idea. So don't restrict yourself by the number of stars.

Also, the Hilton Molino Stucky may get one of the best ratings, but it is on a separate island and you have to take a shuttle boat back and forth, def. not close to the port.

The famous old large hotels in Venice are close® to St. Mark's than to the port area, so you may have to decide which is more important. I would say that in general, port areas tend to be more industrial and are unlikely to house **** hotels. . .