Cruise Ship Art Auctions?

Your Welcome, noticed last year on the ship that they don't point out the fact that the Thomas Kinkade's pieces are signed with an Automatic Pen. They just said they were signed & numbered. When in fact they are Standard and Numbered. I guess they don't get a lot of real art collectors. I also belong to a site called Artprice.com so if you ever want to know what a certain artist's works are selling for, just ask me to look it up for you. If you need frames check out this site https://www.framesbymail.com/index.html It is where I buy most of my frames. Save a lot of money!!!

My husband and I attended one of the auctions on our Carnival cruise in June, after reading about them here on the boards. No champagne:( , but we did get the free "$95 value" art...they handed them out as you left the auction. Anyway, I truly doubt it's worth that (it's a small print, odd sized), but I am going to frame it (like I said, odd size, so hard to find a frame for it) as a souvenier of our cruise.

PS.......I just looked it up on line to check prices (Commonwealth in Bloom, Seriolithograph by Misha Lenn). Anyway prices range from a few bucks (there are a bunch on E-Bay;) to $50 at an Antique and Art site.:rolleyes: )

• 6 years later...
I wouldn't purchase art on a ship if my life depended on it, especially from Park West. If you have big bucks to throw away, good for you! Throw the money away, and many do just that!

Absolutely agree...it's worthless.

I have a good art auction story. I went to the art auction on the Norwegian Dawn with my husband. At one point, the auctioneer put up a painting of all the Looney Tunes characters. He pointed to the red, furry monster and asked if anyone knew its name. I did! (It's Gossamer). He was surprised I knew the answer, since it's a rare character and usually no one gets its name. Then he asked if I was 21, and I said I was 27. Then he gave me a bottle of wine! I felt really pleased with myself after that. :)

It is worth bringing up again. Park West is on many cruise lines. Before purchasing from them, suggest you read this article from last year:

From ArtDaly.org

Park West Gallery Proved by Lawsuit Loss to Be Selling Fake Dalí Prints

DETROIT, MI.- The recent loss of Park West Gallery’s defamation case against Fine Art Registry and three individuals shows that the jury in Federal Court in Eastern Michigan had no doubt that the evidence they were shown proved that Park West Gallery has been selling and continues to sell inauthentic art, including Salvador Dalí prints, using fraudulent misrepresentation at art auctions on cruise ships. And Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines have stated that they will not be renewing their contract with the disgraced gallery.

Park West Gallery sued Fine Art Registry and the other defendants in the case for defamation. The main point Park West attempted and failed to prove through their witnesses and experts was that the Dalí prints they sell are genuine and bear genuine signatures and that the statements by Fine Art Registry that they were not genuine were defamatory. Fine Art Registry defended the defamation claim on the basis of TRUTH. According to Fine Art Registry there was no defamation because all of the statements the web based company made were truthful. These statements included the following:

• That Park West Gallery had sold and is still selling fake prints or genuine prints with forged signatures to its customers, including those of Spanish surrealist Salvador Dalí, many of which were sourced from the controversial Albaretto family in Turin, Italy.

• That Park West Gallery was guilty of criminal, fraudulent misrepresentation and other criminal activities under the guise of selling art at so-called “art auctions” on cruise ships and elsewhere.

The jury found that there had been NO DEFAMATION because the statements were indeed factual.

The experts who testified for Fine Art Registry about the Salvador Dalí prints and signatures were Nicolas Descharnes, Frank Hunter and William Flynn. Nicolas Descharnes and his father Robert Descharnes, who worked with Dalí personally for 40 years, are acknowledged to be the only experts in the world trusted by the leading art auction houses to authenticate Dalí original work. Nicolas Descharnes testified as an expert on Dalí and Dalí signatures. He said of the results of the lawsuit, "It is a great historical victory for the preservation of the art of Salvador Dalí. I'm proud of my contribution to the justice of United States which fulfilled its mission."

Frank Hunter, Director of the Salvador Dalí Archives in New York, who worked with Albert Field in the compilation of the well respected catalog of Dalí’s graphic works, testified as an expert on Salvador Dalí graphic works (prints) and on Salvador Dalí’s signature. After hearing the jury’s verdict in the trial he said, “The opinions expressed by Nicolas Descharnes and myself are based on a firm foundation of knowledge, first-hand experience with the works of Dalí and with Dalí personally.

Such opinions are considered expert opinions. Real experts cooperate with one another, and, as professionals, do not spew invectives at other experts. Someone whose opinions are based on speculation, conjecture, or guesswork is not, in anyone's opinion, an expert. Dalí authentication should be left to the authentic experts.” Frank Hunter was the only witness who testified in the court who had personally watched Salvador Dalí signing prints in series.

The eminent handwriting expert William Flynn, in his remarkably clear testimony which left the jury in no doubt that the so-called Dalí signatures on the prints sold by Park West which he examined were fake, described the most commonly seen signature type as “a crude forgery” and another set as “practiced forgeries.” He used science to demonstrate the basis for his opinion.

It is notable that Park West retained two handwriting experts in this case but neither one testified in court because they could not affirm that the signatures on the Park West prints were by the hand of Salvador Dalí and they had great respect for William Flynn and his expertise. The only expert witness on the subject of Salvador Dalí signatures who appeared in court for Park West Gallery was their own retained appraiser and self-proclaimed Dalí expert Bernard Ewell who never met Salvador Dalí and is not recognized as an expert on Dalí by anyone other than Park West and himself. His testimony was therefore very unconvincing.

Having lost their defamation case in Michigan, Park West Gallery still faces six class action suits – four in Michigan, one in Washington and one in Florida – as well as individual cases against the gallery and its principals, with other cases on the way.

It is apparent that Park West Gallery has for some time been under investigation for criminal activities by several separate Federal agencies, including the US Postal Inspection Services (for mail fraud), the FBI, the IRS and Customs and Border Protection. Park West Gallery’s defeat in their defamation case against Fine Art Registry should open the door for these Federal agencies to move ahead and bring their investigations to a rapid conclusion. Fine Art Registry has been helping these agencies by providing all available information to them and by putting them in contact with Park West Gallery customers/victims and with ex-employees who have much inside information to impart.

The jury’s verdict, after a nearly six week trial in which a great deal of evidence was presented which is relevant to all the cases and investigations, will no doubt have great bearing in the other lawsuits and in the Federal investigations.

Also in the wake of the Michigan Federal Court case comes the decision on the part of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Park West’s largest cruise line partner, not to renew the contract with Park West Gallery which terminates shortly. Tony Faso, Associate General Counsel for RCCL, told Fine Art Registry, “We are not renewing the contract with Park West.”

The verdict of the Federal Court jury in Michigan has great significance for the Dalí graphics market which has been inundated by very expensive forgeries sold by Park West, many of them coming from the Albaretto family in Turin who have for years been surrounded by controversy regarding the authenticity of their Dalí collection and the prints they have placed on the market. Park West’s defeat in this lawsuit has now established in a court of law that this art is indeed inauthentic.

Theresa Franks, CEO of Fine Art Registry, said, “It is clear that the jury’s recent verdict in the Federal Court case in Michigan is a landmark decision which will have wide impact on the Dalí print market, the practices of cruise ship art auctions, and the future of Park West Gallery and its operating methods. This is an example of a SLAPP lawsuit which has backfired very heavily on the plaintiff and a lesson that should be learned by litigation-happy companies who feel they can silence their critics with frivolous lawsuits instead of paying attention to legitimate complaints and reforming their corrupt or criminal practices.”

For more information please see the Fine Art Registry Web site www.fineartregistry.com.

Park West Gallery | Fine Art Registry | Fake Dalí Prints |

Here is a link to an article from this year: http://www.fineartregistry.com/articles/2011-05/salvador-dali-foundation-blasts-park-west-gallery.php

I have a good art auction story. I went to the art auction on the Norwegian Dawn with my husband. At one point, the auctioneer put up a painting of all the Looney Tunes characters. He pointed to the red, furry monster and asked if anyone knew its name. I did! (It's Gossamer). He was surprised I knew the answer, since it's a rare character and usually no one gets its name. Then he asked if I was 21, and I said I was 27. Then he gave me a bottle of wine! I felt really pleased with myself after that. :)

Was it Wayne by any chance?

I wouldn't purchase art on a ship if my life depended on it, especially from Park West. If you have big bucks to throw away, good for you! Throw the money away, and many do just that!

I've been in an art auction on all my cruises and bought something twice. I've got plenty of money to throw away.

And I also think that Lou's opinion isn't the absolute universal truth.

Neither is mine, oddly enough.

I don't know about free art, but on Royal Caribbean the art auction had at least one with free champagne just for attending. That has been true on each RCI cruise we have taken. My husband and I usually attend the auction just for that, Frankly, I have to say I am amazed at the prices the auctioneers are asking for some of that art and sports memorabilia.

Their "art" has about the same quality and value as the "champagne".

DON

However, do not look to cruise line art as an investment. Original, hand-signed art from major artists will be in temperature, humidity and light-controlled venues, not sitting in areas were lots of foot traffic occurs.

Should you find yourself tempted to buy a piece as an investment, remember these words: "certificate of provenence." Any reputable dealer will be glad to provide this document; anyone who cannot provide it is best avoided.

A good alternative is to buy from artists in your area. You can often deal directly with the artist and avoid gallery and shipping fees and the artist will often work closely with a museum-quality framer who might offer you a discount.

Last art auction we attended was ended prematurely by a rude auctioneer who implied we were all idiots for not buying the Peter Max (and other) stuff he was hawking. I guess the mostly blue-collar crowd on a 4-day Carnival cruise just wasn't measuring up to his hopes (possibly too smart), and he said something like "You don't deserve this art. Come on, John, we're leaving."

Many auctions seem to be getting stingier with the champagne, too, so I'm about finished with auctions as cruise entertainment. We're seeing the same "masterpieces" we saw five years ago.

Jim

Last art auction we attended was ended prematurely by a rude auctioneer who implied we were all idiots for not buying the Peter Max (and other) stuff he was hawking. I guess the mostly blue-collar crowd on a 4-day Carnival cruise just wasn't measuring up to his hopes (possibly too smart), and he said something like "You don't deserve this art. Come on, John, we're leaving."

Many auctions seem to be getting stingier with the champagne, too, so I'm about finished with auctions as cruise entertainment. We're seeing the same "masterpieces" we saw five years ago.

Jim

Auch. That's just terrible. I've only been on Royal's auctions and the only artist they had both in 2008 and 2012 was Thomas Kinkade.

Two weeks ago on the Navigator they were only "surprised" that they didn't sell Godard.

Archived