Tea Service in Suites

jbpinkie

I have searched all over, and can't find anything, so am hoping someone knows. We are sailing Sunday on the Niew Amsterdam. 3 Generations of ladies (44, 69, and 92) or well gram turns 92 while on the cruise. We had booked an SY suite, and I read on our Facebook roll call that they were offering upgrades. So for $500 for the 3 of us, I am upgrading to the next higher bracket suites that allow us the perks of the Neptune lounge etc, as a surprise for Grandma.

One of the things we read was that they will bring tea service to the cabin. I read about the high teas in the dining room which sound interesting, but have never done before. Can anyone tell me if they have done the tea to the room and how it was? Gram is somewhat mobility challenged, so I thought it might be a nice treat for her one afternoon.

Appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

In all our cruises, we have never requested tea served in our suite but I feel sure the concierge can arrange it for your Gram's birthday. Speak with the conciernge early in your cruise and request she 'see what she can do'.

Have a great cruise and enjoy the suite. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Pardon me for responding when I haven't actually done it so can't offer any info, but I do know someone who has and hopefully she might see your post and tell you about it. I understand it was excellent and her whole family thoroughly enjoyed it. It would be a lovely treat for your Gram.:)

We have enjoyed the tea service in our suite a few times. Just tell the Neptune Lounge concierge what day(s) and time you'd like the tray delivered and how many people will be at the tea.

They'll tell you that you have to be in the room when the delivery is made, but once we got tea we didn't order and they put it in the room while we were out.

You'll get pots of hot water, tea bags, sugar, lemon, maybe even honey, along with tasty pastries. It makes a nice mid-afternoon snack. :)

High tea is just a term loosely applied here that includes both sweets and some sort of more substantial savories as well.

If you want something special for a celebration I would pick one of the special tea days like the Royal Dutch or Indonesian Tea days (found on your daily program on one of the sea days) and see what you can arrange, even if it means carrying a few plates back from the main dining room buffet to your room yourself. They have really special choices on those days - both sweets and savories (Royal Dutch Tea) :cool:

We ordered appetizers for two guests once when we were in a suite and they over-loaded us with both hot and cold items, that would have fed an army of guests. It was embarrassing to have so much for them to throw out. Point being HAL is very generous when you make some of these arrangements.

The concierges will go out of their way to make everything nice. We invited a dozen or so "new friends" to our suite for drinks one evening before dinner, and they fussed over us all day, making sure everything was perfect, extra flowers, etc., and lots of lovely hot and cold hors d'oeuvres when the time came plus extra ice buckets, glasses, etc. At tea time, there are tasty morsels in the Neptune Lounge, as well, if you were ever to run out in your room!

I have had Afternoon Tea in our cabin before in our Neptune Suite. It is just like how others have posted. You will get pots of water, tea bags, and small bites to eat. One hint is to take some tea bags from the Neptune Lounge (Harney & Sons) than the Bigelow that is normally delivered. If you do, just take what you need.

I did not take a picture from our last cruise, but found this one via google.

in+room.jpg

My daughters and I did tea in our deluxe verandah suite (now Neptune Suite) on one cruise and it was quite nice and had a good selection of sweets and savories. However, even though your grandmother is mobility challenged, the Indonesian tea in the dining room is so wonderful it would be worth the effort. I'm sure they would accommodate her needs and make her feel very special.

Happy birthday to your gram!

St. Louis Sal

My daughters and I did tea in our deluxe verandah suite (now Neptune Suite) on one cruise and it was quite nice and had a good selection of sweets and savories. However, even though your grandmother is mobility challenged, the Indonesian tea in the dining room is so wonderful it would be worth the effort. I'm sure they would accommodate her needs and make her feel very special.

St. Louis Sal

As is the Royal Dutch tea. She really shouldn't miss it and good have regular tea in the suite on other days. The Royal Dutch is so special with a beautiful presentation, carvings, etc. I'm sure Gram would love to see it and you could seat her and serve her the goodies.

I second that. Since there are enough people in their party, they can easily be seated at their own private table in the dining room. I would much rather have high tea at a private table in the main dining room than in my stateroom. The ambiance and the selection of offerings will be much better in the MDR, and there will be no dirty dishes in the stateroom afterwards.

I might also add that passengers in any stateroom class can order order tea and food sent to their stateroom. Not really that much of a suite perk.

igraf

...However, even though your grandmother is mobility challenged, the Indonesian tea in the dining room is so wonderful it would be worth the effort. I'm sure they would accommodate her needs and make her feel very special.

St. Louis Sal

Edited by igraf

Yes, do speak to the maitre-D and arrange an accessible table for both the Royal Dutch and Indonesian High Teas...they are very special and elegant. While one of you could bring her back a plate from the buffet, I'm sure that a server would bring an assortment to your table for her.

But you can also have a lovely High Tea served in your suite ANY day just by letting the Neptune Lounge concierge know what time and for how many. We've always enjoyed the experience and usually have them set it up out on the balcony. They'll bring an assortment of savory and sweets and have even brought sugar-free treats for my husband. It's really a nice way to relax and enjoy your suite facilities!

Have a great time!:)

Definitely take advamtage of the Indonesian Tea. The MDR is so pretty. Watch the Daily Explorer for the other special teas, too. I don't remember seeing the Royal Dutch Tea but did go to the Cupcake Tea (at least that's what I think it was called). I'm certain the Maitre D would arrange for a table for just your party and it would be a treat for your Gram. How lucky she is to be able to celebrate her 92nd birthday on a "Girls Cruise" with family!