Regatta Sanitation Inspection Reports

2reddy2cruise

Hi,

We're going to travel on the Regatta in April. We're very excited because we know it is definitely a step up from the mass market ships we have cruised on in the past. That said, I always do a little research and watch what is happening in general when travel is upcoming. We like to minimize problems and discomfort - like we wish we had not been on the west coast when everyone in southern California was wearing masks over their nose/mouth to avoid the bird flu outbreak that seemed prevalent in Mexico at the time (our short cruise in that area stayed off the coast and did not do any of the scheduled ports). These things happen and sometimes there is just no avoiding. The last two inspections of the Regatta are pretty low in scores (89 in July then down to 87 in October). While 85 is the marker for unsatisfactory, it disturbs me that the score is trending downward. What do you think - do you worry about these things? Please don't be insulting - I just wonder if anyone else checks.

If you do a little more research, you will discover that the downturn, but still "satisfactory" ratings are fairly typical for a 16 year old ship.

No matter how hard they scrub, or how high quality the original fittings were, surfaces just refuse to gleam at about that point, so the ship loses a few discretionary points.

IMO, it is important to read the full report. As stated above, they tend to find more problems on older ships than with newer ones. If the things they were "dinged" for are related to equipment that does not affect food temperatures, I would not be concerned. They are being extremely strict with inspections (which they should be) and I think we will be seeing lower scores on many ships that previously scored in the upper 90's.

If you go on to cdc site, you can follow the links to the report which outlines the infractions. Sometimes the infractions have nothing to do with passenger interaction. There should also be a corrections report. After reading the reports for any ship, only you can be the judge if the items are important to you. You can also look at other ships reports and compare.

If you do a little more research, you will discover that the downturn, but still "satisfactory" ratings are fairly typical for a 16 year old ship.

No matter how hard they scrub, or how high quality the original fittings were, surfaces just refuse to gleam at about that point, so the ship loses a few discretionary points.

I do not think an older ship can not get a high ratting however as others have said you have to read the whole report as these inspections are very strict to the smallest detail. I bet that a ship that got a lower score is the cleanest ship around after. I would not worry about it at all.

I do check the CDC scores

I also read the follow up corrections notices

A few of the ships have also scored 100 in the past

I have not heard of any O ships with Noro ...does not mean it did not happen

We did have an e-coli outbreak on one Panama trip so I am very cautious of my surroundings