Tendering in Roatan on the Dawn???

polySeraph

Yesterday I had the pleasure of printing out my cruise docs (:DYAY!:D) and was a little puzzled to see that the itinerary showed Roatan as a tendered port. The last time I was in Roatan we were tied up at the pier in Coxen Hole. I checked another cruise website to see if Roatan was especially busy that day and learned that the only other ship on the schedule is the Caribbean Princess (...which I'm speculating would be at Mahogany Bay since it's part of the Carnival family).

So, my questions are:

1) Does anyone know why the Dawn would be scheduled to tender that day?

2) Could someone who has actually tendered into Roatan from an NCL ship describe the process? I don't need a humongously detailed explanation here; I just mainly want to know whether it's the usual NCL tendering process or there are significant differences. We have a full-day private excursion scheduled to pick us up at the pier as soon as the ship ties up and I'm trying to get an idea of the level of effort required to get us ashore.

Thanks!

The Coxen Hole port info indicates that the Dawn will dock there. NCL has had Roatan as tender on our docs for a 11/19 arrival, too. No explanation except we are betting that we won't tender. Our excursion folks indicate that it will dock there vs tender. Good luck!

The Coxen Hole port info indicates that the Dawn will dock there. NCL has had Roatan as tender on our docs for a 11/19 arrival, too. No explanation except we are betting that we won't tender. Our excursion folks indicate that it will dock there vs tender. Good luck!

Never have tendered in Roatan, but always in Belize.

Your cruise is right around the corner. Wow, you must be excited!

Would you be willing to come back and let us know whether the Dawn was docked or tendered? It would be very helpful. We are booked with Free Radical for the day and want to ensure that all goes well. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Correct

The cruise Doc is not correct. Woohoo, 3 more days:D

I will report back about the tender in row 10 Basshunter experience next week. We are also booked with the spirit of free radical unfortunately the weather looks terrible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

We are on the Dawn the week after you!!! Hoping no tender!

Your cruise is right around the corner. Wow, you must be excited!

Would you be willing to come back and let us know whether the Dawn was docked or tendered? It would be very helpful. We are booked with Free Radical for the day and want to ensure that all goes well. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

I was on Dawn in feb. breeze in october no tender. But there are Two ports at roatan. One right at Mahogany Bay the Dawn itself was a short ride away. Well worth it. So was tabyana - a nice gift store. Not well stocked but good prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on Dawn in feb. breeze in october no tender. But there are Two ports at roatan. One right at Mahogany Bay the Dawn itself was a short ride away. Well worth it. So was tabyana - a nice gift store. Not well stocked but good prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you do the ncl excursion to tabyana? We did Maya key and plan to do it again next year, but sail in less than 2 weeks and wanted to do tabyana.

On the spirit on first trip to roatan and we tendered. They used the life boats to tender us. It was rather different.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless there is unpublished pier work going on, I don't see why they would tender. But if they did, it wouldn't bother me personally. But I could see if somebody has an excursion booked not through the ship, that it could cause a bit of stress.

Jon

Did you do the ncl excursion to tabyana? We did Maya key and plan to do it again next year, but sail in less than 2 weeks and wanted to do tabyana.

On the spirit on first trip to roatan and we tendered. They used the life boats to tender us. It was rather different.

We have done the NCL excursion to Tabyana beach twice. It's a lovely beach, with great snorkeling on a reef right near the beach. There are free lounge chairs, and a fairly good amount of shade, but the shady spots do fill up fast.

They serve a buffet style lunch..nothing fancy, but it fills you up.

You can rent snorkel gear, and of course there are the usual locals doing hair braiding and massages, and selling things, but they're not obnoxious about it. There are showers to wash off the sand.

The beach tour operator runs buses back and forth from the beach all day, so you can head back to the ship almost anytime if you've had your fill of sun, sea, and sand.

Don't know what's changed at Roatan (it's been a while since we were there), but when were there and docked at Coxen hole, there is only space for one ship to tie up. If more than one ship is in port, the others had to tender.

We have alternated while at Coxen Hole on NCL. Sometimes we tie up at the pier and other times it's tendered. The tender ride is nothing like in Belize. Less the 5 minutes to reach the dock and unload. Actually almost as fast as when at the pier. Not a big deal and the local tour guides know what's going on and will be ready for you either way.