Jewel of the Seas-9576 or 9660

slyster

So, I booked my first aft cabin (9660) on Jewel of the Seas next year (Nov 1). I have always been center of the ship. I truly wanted a hump cabin (i have had 2 dead-center hump cabins before), but they were not available. I now see 9576 on the end of the hump is available. I usually avoid those because I heard the balconies are smaller. However, I read a couple of old threads that said 9576 has a bigger balcony.

It appears 9660 balcony is much bigger than a typical hump cabin, but is it still bigger than 9576? Just curious. I'm pretty sure i'm staying where I am since I have not experienced an aft before. 9576 is near the elevators which is nice too ;-)

If anyone has a picture of 9576 I would love to see it :-)

We have had #9576 on Jewel and other Radiance class ships several times. It is on our top 3 list of favorite cabins. I am not a fan of aft balconies. I have not stayed in one, but have been in some visiting. I feel like most are too deep and "tunnel-like", so cannot comment on #9660. #9576 has a large balcony sort like a very big wedge of pie, like two thirds of the pie. It can easily accomodate a lounger, two regular chairs and a table without feeling crowded. The location is very convenient and not noisy from the Centrum or anywhere else. Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise.:)

Edited by Rala

On Radiance class ships, the cabins actually on the hump have standard size balconies. It is the balconies (most of them) just in front and behind the hump which are larger than standard. Cabin 9576 is located just to the front of the hump. If you go by square footage, the aft balconies are probably larger. I just don't care for those as I said in the previous post and they tend to make the cabin darker because they are so deep. Just my personal preference. For me, #9576 is plenty big enough. :)

Edited by Rala
typo

Ok...thanks Rala. We have never done aft so I'm curious what thats like. I'm so tempted to move to 9576 though because it's where I'm used to being...center and near elevators LOL.

Since Jewel isn't one of the largest ships, trying an AFT for the first time may be a good idea in this case. Thanks again

I am not a fan of aft balconies. I have not stayed in one, but have been in some visiting. I feel like most are too deep and "tunnel-like", so cannot comment on #9660.

If you're not a fan of aft balconies, then you are already biased, and in this case you've never even tried one :confused:!

We will be in cabin 9660 specifically on November 23 so I'll be able to report for certain shortly after we get back, but I can safely say that aft cabins ON SOME SHIPS totally rock! We chose 9660 because the balcony is actually larger than regular balconies, and that includes the wedge cabins. The afts on the Celebrity M-class ships are thebest as the balconies are almost as long as the total cabin! Other aft balconies have little coverage, so those I'd advise staying away from. You can probably tell we're aft snobs. if you get the right one on the right ship, you'll absolutely love it. Just stay away from the deck that is directly under the lido deck. That can get noisy at times, especially lunch.

If you Google JOTS aft cabins in images, you'll see a great picture of the aft of the ship with cabin number so as to make a more informed decision. Also, someone posted a video on YouTube of 9660 so if you serach that you might also get a better idea of what is in store.

If it's available, you might think about 9256. It is also aft and it's in the corner, so your balcony is going to be almost L-shaped.

Joe/Christine, thank you....I'm pretty excited about trying the aft cabin. I saw a picture and video of 9660. Definitely looks bigger. I think it will be interesting seeing everything from the back too. Definitely a new experience. I didn't see 9256 available, but I heard its bigger too :-)

So, I booked my first aft cabin (9660) on Jewel of the Seas next year (Nov 1). I have always been center of the ship. I truly wanted a hump cabin (i have had 2 dead-center hump cabins before), but they were not available. I now see 9576 on the end of the hump is available. I usually avoid those because I heard the balconies are smaller. However, I read a couple of old threads that said 9576 has a bigger balcony.

It appears 9660 balcony is much bigger than a typical hump cabin, but is it still bigger than 9576? Just curious. I'm pretty sure i'm staying where I am since I have not experienced an aft before. 9576 is near the elevators which is nice too ;-)

HI - I am excited that someone else is going on this cruise!! My husband and I booked in August and no one has joined us on the Roll Call or Meet and Mingle(we might not have signed up for that one yet!)

Glad you are coming on this cruise and do go to Roll call for JOS and join us!! I am getting lonely!!

And by the way, we are in 9594!

Edited by chickadee1

If you're not a fan of aft balconies, then you are already biased, and in this case you've never even tried one :confused:!

We will be in cabin 9660 specifically on November 23 so I'll be able to report for certain shortly after we get back, but I can safely say that aft cabins ON SOME SHIPS totally rock! We chose 9660 because the balcony is actually larger than regular balconies, and that includes the wedge cabins. The afts on the Celebrity M-class ships are thebest as the balconies are almost as long as the total cabin! Other aft balconies have little coverage, so those I'd advise staying away from. You can probably tell we're aft snobs. if you get the right one on the right ship, you'll absolutely love it. Just stay away from the deck that is directly under the lido deck. That can get noisy at times, especially lunch.

If you Google JOTS aft cabins in images, you'll see a great picture of the aft of the ship with cabin number so as to make a more informed decision. Also, someone posted a video on YouTube of 9660 so if you serach that you might also get a better idea of what is in store.

If it's available, you might think about 9256. It is also aft and it's in the corner, so your balcony is going to be almost L-shaped.

If you will re-read my FIRST post on this thread I said MOST aft balconies are very deep. I also said that I have been a visitor in a few aft balconies for drinks or gathering. I did not make a blanket statement that ALL aft balconies are "bad" and only said, they are not my preference. This does not make me biased. I don't think one has to "stay" (sleep) in one to know whether you would like it or not if you have been in an aft balcony cabin and seen what it is like. :)

I will be in 9092, other side of the hump next May. Watch for my review and photos. It looks like its the same width, but perhaps a little deeper than yours. I did try to reserve 9256 the aft with the bigger balcony, but the Loyalty Ambassador on Allure wasn't doing his job 100% so somebody else got it out from under me.

<tongue firmly planted in cheek>

:DAft cabins on Radiance class are absolutely horrible.:D I definitely will not be staying in one until the next cruise. No way. And then definitely not until the next we cruise again. :p

Absolutely stay away from them. It's nothing but soot, vibration, long walks to everything, terrible wi-fi coverage (this sadly is true on Radiance class...hopefully will get fixed when new renovations are done)

</tongue firmly planted in cheek>

Seriously, they are not for everyone but for us nothing beats the 180 degree view of the wake.

:pNow all you humpers, stay put and get off our aft...:p

If you will re-read my FIRST post on this thread I said MOST aft balconies are very deep. I also said that I have been a visitor in a few aft balconies for drinks or gathering. I did not make a blanket statement that ALL aft balconies are "bad" and only said, they are not my preference. This does not make me biased. I don't think one has to "stay" (sleep) in one to know whether you would like it or not if you have been in an aft balcony cabin and seen what it is like. :)

I had a feeling you would flame me. I wasn't tring to upset or offend you, I'm just pointing out that, indeed, one SHOULD stay in a cabin to truly weigh in on its good points and bad. For us, we feel like we're getting more for our money, which is why we choose an aft cabin.

- It's in the back of the ship, meaning there isn't much foot traffic outside your cabin.

- Your balcony is HUGE (well, bigger than a normal balcony).

- The view is spectacular (especially if you're on an Alaskan cruise).

I'm sorry you don't like them, but I was just trying to give the OP perspective from one who has booked several afts, will continue to do so, and likes them more than regular port/starboard cabins.

ClassicalSax weighs in on the wifi issue, though we have not had that experience in any afts we have booked. So far anyway. Soot? Never been a problem. Like I said before, jsut don't book an aft right below the Ldio deck. That can be a little noisy, especially during lunch. Not bad but I'd avoid it.

Book it, slyster!

Edited by jt1120

I had a feeling you would flame me. I wasn't tring to upset or offend you, I'm just pointing out that, indeed, one SHOULD stay in a cabin to truly weigh in on its good points and bad. For us, we feel like we're getting more for our money, which is why we choose an aft cabin.

- It's in the back of the ship, meaning there isn't much foot traffic outside your cabin.

- Your balcony is HUGE (well, bigger than a normal balcony).

- The view is spectacular (especially if you're on an Alaskan cruise).

I'm sorry you don't like them, but I was just trying to give the OP perspective from one who has booked several afts, will continue to do so, and likes them more than regular port/starboard cabins.

ClassicalSax weighs in on the wifi issue, though we have not had that experience in any afts we have booked. So far anyway. Soot? Never been a problem. Like I said before, jsut don't book an aft right below the Ldio deck. That can be a little noisy, especially during lunch. Not bad but I'd avoid it.

Book it, slyster!

I hear you and on the other side of the coin, I prefer the hump balconies like 9576 and feel I am getting more for my money like:

Extremely convenient location to all areas of the ship.

Larger balcony that is not like a tunnel (solely my opinion!)

cabin apart from balcony is pretty much identical to the cabins on the aft

I am sorry you think that I flamed you...I did not mean my comment to be a flame. How about if we just agree to disagree?!! I hope the OP was able to get something from both our posts to help him make a decision.

Happy Cruising!:)

<tongue firmly planted in cheek>

:DAft cabins on Radiance class are absolutely horrible.:D I definitely will not be staying in one until the next cruise. No way. And then definitely not until the next we cruise again. :p

Absolutely stay away from them. It's nothing but soot, vibration, long walks to everything, terrible wi-fi coverage (this sadly is true on Radiance class...hopefully will get fixed when new renovations are done)

</tongue firmly planted in cheek>

Seriously, they are not for everyone but for us nothing beats the 180 degree view of the wake.

:pNow all you humpers, stay put and get off our aft...:p

Well that does it....I'm walking...no I'm running to cancel now! LOL! Did you experience any soot or vibration at all? I didn't think these ships had that. I didn't know about the wi-fi coverage so thanks for that info though.

Well that does it....I'm walking...no I'm running to cancel now! LOL! Did you experience any soot or vibration at all? I didn't think these ships had that. I didn't know about the wi-fi coverage so thanks for that info though.

No noticeable vibration on either of the Radiance class but I'm not really sensitive to that.

The bad wifi in the aft was on Serenade before renovation. and Jewel also this past May - I included it on the comment card. Serenade had a small amount of soot when we were on her a few years ago. However Jewel, which was running on biodiesel at least the first time we were on her, did not have any noticeable soot either time. The exhaust was white and smelled like the Seaview Cafe :p which just made you hungrier on the pool deck. I will let you know about the soot in a week for sure :D

One last thing about the Jewel... being a GTS (gas turbine ship) - boy, can that ship move when it has to. Sadly, the short itineraries between islands and RCI fuel savings practices and cost savings make it unnecessary and undesirable to go fast. However, due to a medical emergency on the Jewel the fist time we were on her, the captain put the hammer down - she was doing slightly greater than 26 knots according to the room tv (old liner speeds). My understanding is that she may have been modified and can no longer do those speeds but maybe someone will know those details better.

Edited by ClassicalSax

oh you are getting ready to sail on Jewel again? Next week? I'm not affected by vibration or motion much either. my partner is a little, but a few weeks ago on Grandeur a few folks were talking about the motion of the ship and it didn't phase me at all. Interesting how some are more affected than others.

I am curious as the soot though as I will ususally hang my bathing suit outside to dry