Mini review of Barcelona with pictures

DragonOfTheSeas

I was waiting to hear how your trip was. We are leaving next week! Thanks for posting all the info, especially the taxi stuff.

Have a great trip.

A taxi is easy to use and I did not feel they were that expensive. the evening rush hour has horrible traffic. I think the fares would be higher during that time frame--since they charge a fee for the time they sit in traffic, too.

thank you for your excellent review and photos. I also appreciated the hints and tips. Can you give us more information about your bed and breakfast? Thank you. lydia

We stayed at the Marina View Bed and Breakfast for 2 nights. The location is great. It is a block from the Columbus Statue and the port shuttle bus. It is right on the water and within walking distance of Las Ramblas, Barcelonta Beach, the Gothic Quarter and Placa Catalunya.

Here is the link:

http://www.marinaviewbcn.com/web/index.php/en/cruise-passengers

It is not a B & B in the American sense of the word. There are six rooms on the 4th and 5th floors of what must be an apartment building. There is no common area or living room. There is a secure entrance and an small elevator. They bring your breakfast to you on a trolley in the morning. You order the time for delivery the night before. [between 8:30-10 am] We had to make special arrangements to get it at 8:15 the first morning so we could make the HOHO bus. Breakfast is hot croissants, jam, butter, juice, and coffee. I loved the warm milk for the coffee. It was all yummy!!

Five of the rooms are on the 4th floor. People who stayed on this floor entered from the hall with a key and then entered their rooms with another key. The Property Manager, Paddy, had an office in this area. He was very personable and helpful. We were on the 5th floor and had our own entrance off the hall. We were in the Captain’s room. It was the largest room and had an excellent view and a decked out bathroom.

There were a couple of down sides to our room. The WiFi did not work on the 5th floor. So, to email my children and check the weather I had to go to the 4th floor and hang out in the inner hall on a love seat to connect. It was a little thing—but, not convenient.

We were away from the rest of the rooms [and the office]. Although there were other members of our roll call staying there we never saw them, until one night we walked out the door at the same time as one of these couples. They had a map of all of the restaurants nearby and Paddy’s recommendations. We had tried to ask about restaurants but, the 2 times I rode the elevator to the 4th floor to locate Paddy he was not in the office. [did not expect him to be at my beck and call] If we had been on that floor I am sure we would have caught him. Another option would be to place a copy of the map in each room.

When we checked out he asked if we would stay there again. We told him we would. Location is everything when you have a short time in a city. However, I would stay in the Columbus Room on the 4th floor. This room has a French balcony with about the same view we did and we would have better access to the WiFi and information.

I know this is a long answer. but, thank you for making me write it out. Now I will post it on Tri:Dp Advisor.

You mention getting wine to bring on board. Did they let you freely bring it on the ship. I know on Caribbean cruises they confiscate it. If you were, how much is allowed?

Going May 2014 on the serenade and spending 3 days in Barcelona pre cruise. Loved your review.

You mention getting wine to bring on board. Did they let you freely bring it on the ship. I know on Caribbean cruises they confiscate it. If you were, how much is allowed?

Going May 2014 on the serenade and spending 3 days in Barcelona pre cruise. Loved your review.

Royal Caribbean began allowing passengers to bring 2 bottles of wine on the ship for use in your cabins on the day you embark. If you buy wine in a port they will hold it for you until the end of the cruise. [2 bottles per cabin--not person]

There is a corkage fee only if you take it into pubic venues. [ie. Main Dining Room]

I found wine to be really cheap in Spain. [i do not have a very educated palate :p] I got a bottle of wine for 5 euros and a liter bottle of sangria for 3 euros. I looked for a smaller [750 ml] bottle of Sangria in the store I visited not far off Las Ramblas and they did not have it. If RCL had confiscated this I would have understood. But, I am glad they did not.

Thank you for the information about the B&B. I have made an inquiry as to availability. Lydia

Glad to help. I hope it works out for you.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon of the Seas, we will be in Barcelona prior to a cruise and our points of interest are exactly what you reviewed. We will be following your lead, including exiting on the first day at Montjuic (5th stop on the Red bus). I have read that the walk up hill from the bus to Park Quell is very extensive and that catching a taxi would be better. Did you find it to be?

Dragon of the Seas, we will be in Barcelona prior to a cruise and our points of interest are exactly what you reviewed. We will be following your lead, including exiting on the first day at Montjuic (5th stop on the Red bus). I have read that the walk up hill from the bus to Park Quell is very extensive and that catching a taxi would be better. Did you find it to be?

If I go back to Park Guell I will take a taxi. That way I can enter through the gate near the "monumental" area. I also noted when we were there that since this entrance can not be accessed by the buses there was no line to buy tickets.

However, if they had reached the 400 person limit for a given time period you still would need to wait to enter. [either from pre-sales or walk-up sales]

Have fun. We had a great time in Barcelona.

• 4 weeks later...
If I go back to Park Guell I will take a taxi. That way I can enter through the gate near the "monumental" area. I also noted when we were there that since this entrance can not be accessed by the buses there was no line to buy tickets.

However, if they had reached the 400 person limit for a given time period you still would need to wait to enter. [either from pre-sales or walk-up sales]

Have fun. We had a great time in Barcelona.

If you like you can take a regular bus, Number 24, to the Carmel stop which is next to the upper entrance and there is almost no walk at all.

There is a ticket boot there.

If you like you can take a regular bus, Number 24, to the Carmel stop which is next to the upper entrance and there is almost no walk at all.

Thanks--I will keep that in mind. However, it is important to remember that no matter where you choose to enter if you do not pre-purchase tickets and they hit the 400 person limit you will have to wait for the next available time.

That was not an issue for us on a very rainy day--but, could be in the summer tourist season.

Thank you for this information!:D

[=http://www.cruisecritic.com]countdown.pl?image=Greece&name=lvcrzn&date=9-28-2014&text=Cruising The Med!&ship=Norwegian Epic[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful Barcelona! We were there in September before our Mediterranean cruise. You're right it is very easy to get around, and the HOHO makes some of the further flung sites easy to get to. Having said that, we did use the metro the first day to get from Barcelona Sans station to the Sagrada and it was very easy to use as well. Thanks for your review and especially the pictures.

Beautiful Barcelona! We were there in September before our Mediterranean cruise. You're right it is very easy to get around, and the HOHO makes some of the further flung sites easy to get to. Having said that, we did use the metro the first day to get from Barcelona Sans station to the Sagrada and it was very easy to use as well. Thanks for your review and especially the pictures.

We will likely use the metro [or a taxi ]the next time we are there for the Segrada Familia and Park Guell. Since it takes so long to get to them. I think the HOHO is good for everything else.

Thank you... for your lovely detailed post. I took away a lot of information! Looking forward to using it in January 2015.

Havea great trip.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...