getting to manhattan terminal

CVA34

Hello all...My dilemma....We can arrive at any of the 3 major New York area airports for our cruise in May to London. Planning to stay one night...then to the pier. Question is...what would be the preferred way to get to the pier. I know that there are numerous ways, taxi, hire a car, train or bus. I guess my question is has anyone gone any of these ways. My first thought was hotel to pier by a hired car or maybe super shuttle. OR?

Thanks

Dennis

Hello all...My dilemma....We can arrive at any of the 3 major New York area airports for our cruise in May to London. Planning to stay one night...then to the pier. Question is...what would be the preferred way to get to the pier. I know that there are numerous ways, taxi, hire a car, train or bus. I guess my question is has anyone gone any of these ways. My first thought was hotel to pier by a hired car or maybe super shuttle. OR?

Thanks

Dennis

There are no shuttles to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. so you will want a taxi.

If I were you, I'd fish for a great rate in a major well established hotel like the Waldorf Astoria, which can be surprisingly affordable.

From the Waldorf, you can walk to the theater district, Rockefeller Center, The United Nations, and Times Square.

Lincoln Center, Ground Zero and Greenwich Village are a ten minute cab ride (or you might like to try the subway).

The Waldorf is a particularly good choice because the building is a historic landmark in itself and with the caliber of their doorman, you can send your luggage down with a bellhop, and walk directly to your waiting car.

frontofhotel.jpg?w=500&h=375 The perfect, relaxing way to set out for a cruise! Absolutely zero aggravation, and fifteen minutes later you will be walking up the gangplank.

By the way, I believe that we are sailing with you....hope to see you in Martini's ;)

Edited by JimandStan

if arriving in Newark I would take the free shuttle to the Marriott Airport hotel, Then the next day you have a direct shot at Manhattan via the George Washington bridge or tunnel.

It will save you an extra cab fare getting from the airport to the hotel !!

I used to do this for years.... cheaper in Newark... and faster to mid-town.

Hi Dennis

We have done this twice - the first time we flew into Newark and stayed at an airport hotel (can't remember which one). The next day the traffic was awful to the pier.

The next year we flew to JFK and stayed at the Casablanca Hotel just steps from Times Square. We paid a lot less for this taxi ride and it took about half the time of the journey from Newark. The Hotel was great - complimentary breakfast with complimentary nightly cheese and wine reception every evening :D. In the morning it was a short taxi ride to the pier.

Like London, New York is always a gamble with the traffic :eek:.

Brenda

Edited by Lady Meer

If this is your first to NY you should stay in a hotel in midtown. You can walk around, see the city and chose between 100's of places to eat. The door man at the hotel will get you a cab to the ship for a short ride. All that is at any of the airports is a airport.

True, but you'd miss a great dinner and a show if you don't stay in the City.

Rick

But that requires several days to do...:rolleyes: Flying in on an Oceania ticket you will have but a few hours or a quick overnight max. Too hectic to adjust to several hours time zones,+ 5 to 11 hours of travel.

After a cruise then you have time to poke around arriving all fresh and relaxed. and dropping $300 to 500 for tickets and dinner after that is a bit too much.. You would end up totally exhausted and collapse on the ship.

However, after a full day of travel all I want is a beer a bed and a bath.

I am not looking for party time or a huge meal... I will be getting that for weeks on the cruise.. the following day

That's why I have used the Airport hotels like Marriott, within min of getting your bags your on a free transfer . The Marriott has great room service and calzones...

I do not know the day of the week your trip is however traffic can be very bad in NYC. Just for piece of mind I would get to midtown the night before just to beat the rush, also a taxi is the best choice IMO, there is public trans but you have to change a lot and hall your bags up and down lots of steps.

It will be easy and not that pricey to get a cab from your hotel to the cruise terminal and why would anybody stay at the airport when you can stay in town? You can get hotel deal on any of the booking sites (we got a 5 star for less than $200 last summer) and live it up with a fancy meal or an OK one to kick off the trip. There are so many options-hotels will hold luggage until ship boarding, half price theater tickets, you could use public transportation if not much luggage, etc, etc and you can always just rest at the hotel and surrounding area and it is still NY and better than the airport.

I would suspect that arrivals in NY from the west coast or South west wont be getting in until mid morning the day of departure of the ship, OR SOME TIME AFTER 8pm in the evening. The time available to do anything will be minimal.... Unless you pay for a deviation then spend several days....