Melbourne Cup Cruises 2014

Interesting to see that Carnival Corp is competing with itself on the Melbourne Cup cruises next year with P&O offering 2 cruises (Jewel and Pearl) and Carnival offering 1 (Spirit). It'll be a great sight at Station Pier seeing all 3 ships there along with Spirit of Tasmania.

Interestingly the Spirit cruise is 7 days whilst the P&O cruises are 6 days. Spirit has 2 sea days on the way back to Sydney. I assume this is because of limited available wharves in Sydney.

Pricing is also interesting. A 6 night cruise on Jewel in a balcony cabin is currently shown as $2350.00 whilst a balcony can be had on the 7 night Spirit cruise from $2329.00. Outside cabins are $1800 on either P&O ship and $1900 on Spirit. A suite can be had on Spirit for about $100 less than what P&O is offering. I think at these prices, I'd be going with Spirit!!! Obviously there will be lots of specials along the way with P&O already offering a fly/cruise package for Brisbane and Gold Coast customers.

Edited by jessica3152

Hi Jessica

My wife Denise and I have booked on the Spirit and are keen to hook up with other travelers in order to book a table at Flemington sooner rather than later as we believe it books out quick.

Paul and Denise from Perth

Any of you mob who been on the Melbourne Cup cruises, is the ship full of drunken bogans? I don't particularly want to book a Cup cruise if that is the case. A bit of decorum in the forum.

Would the cruise include transport and entry into Flemington Racecourse?

We were on Carnival Spirit in 2005, 'Fire & Ice' - Hawaii and Alaska. She was a nice ship then, but I fear she has been Australian Boganised, reading some recent reviews, if there is such a word. LOL.

Edited by NSWP

The only thing has has stopped hubby and I booking a Melbourne Cup cruise is the general lack of information available. I had made several calls to Carnival, but as the calls get routed to the US a lot of the time, they don't even know what the Melbourne Cup is and my questions are greeted with "that hasn't been decided yet".

I got this email from P & O:

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=iVPO2wJyfQ8mYf%2b%2fEc1j74l6o11cRmoSQHONrJuE4PQ%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fau-content.em.sdlproducts.com%2fcarnival_australia%2fimages%2f4533%2fimages_POAU-Melbourne-Cup-2014-Nov13-JB-ConsumerEDM_FINAL4_NSW_01.jpg

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=iVPO2wJyfQ8mYf%2b%2fEc1j74l6o11cRmoSQHONrJuE4PQ%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fau-content.em.sdlproducts.com%2fcarnival_australia%2fimages%2f4533%2fimages_POAU-Melbourne-Cup-2014-Nov13-JB-ConsumerEDM_FINAL4_NSW_02.jpg

There is also a list of "optional extras" that wouldn't copy and paste here but says:

*VRC Oaks club luncheon

*Behind the scenes tour of Flemington racecourse

*Upgrade to a swankier tent including The Precint, The Lawn Stand and more....

So I called them to get more information. They knew nothing of this and after speaking to a supervisor I was advised that there should be more information available in another 6 months time. With a seat in a restaurant that has a view of the track and lunch costing on average $1200 per person (just for cup day), this would be a once in a lifetime thing for us and we want to know exactly what we are getting for exactly what price prior to booking. Is this too much to ask???

The only thing has has stopped hubby and I booking a Melbourne Cup cruise is the general lack of information available. I had made several calls to Carnival, but as the calls get routed to the US a lot of the time, they don't even know what the Melbourne Cup is and my questions are greeted with "that hasn't been decided yet".

I got this email from P & O:

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=iVPO2wJyfQ8mYf%2b%2fEc1j74l6o11cRmoSQHONrJuE4PQ%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fau-content.em.sdlproducts.com%2fcarnival_australia%2fimages%2f4533%2fimages_POAU-Melbourne-Cup-2014-Nov13-JB-ConsumerEDM_FINAL4_NSW_01.jpg

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=iVPO2wJyfQ8mYf%2b%2fEc1j74l6o11cRmoSQHONrJuE4PQ%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fau-content.em.sdlproducts.com%2fcarnival_australia%2fimages%2f4533%2fimages_POAU-Melbourne-Cup-2014-Nov13-JB-ConsumerEDM_FINAL4_NSW_02.jpg

There is also a list of "optional extras" that wouldn't copy and paste here but says:

*VRC Oaks club luncheon

*Behind the scenes tour of Flemington racecourse

*Upgrade to a swankier tent including The Precint, The Lawn Stand and more....

So I called them to get more information. They knew nothing of this and after speaking to a supervisor I was advised that there should be more information available in another 6 months time. With a seat in a restaurant that has a view of the track and lunch costing on average $1200 per person (just for cup day), this would be a once in a lifetime thing for us and we want to know exactly what we are getting for exactly what price prior to booking. Is this too much to ask???

I think you'll find this link useful. It gives details of how some of these extras worked for this year's cruise.

You'll then be in a better position to decide whether this is worthwhile, or other options...

http://www.carnivalaustralia.com/media-releases/2013/october/and-they%E2%80%99re-off!-%E2%80%93-po-cruises-offers-exclusive-melbourne-cup-experiences.aspx

I think you'll find this link useful. It gives details of how some of these extras worked for this year's cruise.

You'll then be in a better position to decide whether this is worthwhile, or other options...

http://www.carnivalaustralia.com/media-releases/2013/october/and-they%E2%80%99re-off!-%E2%80%93-po-cruises-offers-exclusive-melbourne-cup-experiences.aspx

Cheers for the link.:D

• 3 months later...

Hi Mum81.

My husband (PaulZoom - above) & I are booked on the Carnival Spirit for this year's Melbourne Cup cruise and want to book a table at the Rose Room for $1350 per person. The hitch is that bookings must be for a minimum of 4 people. The website states "group of 4, 8, 10 or 12".

Bookings are open from 11 March, so I guess if we don't have another couple wanting to book we'll just make bookings for 4 and hope to sell the remaining 2 on board! (A bit risky, but surely there will be others wanting a prime spot for the once-in-a-lifetime event?)

Edited by Deneez

Any of you mob who been on the Melbourne Cup cruises, is the ship full of drunken bogans? I don't particularly want to book a Cup cruise if that is the case. A bit of decorum in the forum.

Would the cruise include transport and entry into Flemington Racecourse?

We were on Carnival Spirit in 2005, 'Fire & Ice' - Hawaii and Alaska. She was a nice ship then, but I fear she has been Australian Boganised, reading some recent reviews, if there is such a word. LOL.

I haven't been, but speaking to a couple I know just this weekend they were pleasantly surprised at last years Melbourne cup cruise on P & O, they are usually Princess/Cunard cruisers. They wanted to do a Melbourne Cup cruise but had the same concerns as you (as would I). However, they took the punt, and they had a ball with no boganish drunken behaviour identified:)

I would LOVE to do a Melbourne Cup cruise but they are extremely expensive cruises, can find two week balcony cruises for the same price as a 6 night inside room on a Melb Cup cruise.

Might wait last minute and see if anything comes out better value, if it's sold out so be it, I'll try again next year :)

• 5 months later...