Great Barrier Reef

wams

Is Arlie Beach or Port Douglas better to go to the Reef? Is it better to go to the reef world or Islands near the reef?

The trip from Airlie Beach to the pontoon on the reef is the best 'reef experience' in my opinion. It is also expensive.

Another option is to book with Reef Sprinter in Port Douglas for a shorter trip to the reef at the Low Isles. This costs a bit over $100 pp, all equipment supplied. They do a few trips a day and take only 14 people. Book in their office in the shopping centre where the tender will drop you off.

The trip from Airlie Beach to the pontoon on the reef is the best 'reef experience' in my opinion. It is also expensive.

Another option is to book with Reef Sprinter in Port Douglas for a shorter trip to the reef at the Low Isles. This costs a bit over $100 pp, all equipment supplied. They do a few trips a day and take only 14 people. Book in their office in the shopping centre where the tender will drop you off.

I think the outer reef is the way to go (weather permitting) but they can be expensive. The quicksilver tours are good and can leave from airlie/port douglas or cairns .:D

I think the outer reef is the way to go (weather permitting) but they can be expensive. The quicksilver tours are good and can leave from airlie/port douglas or cairns .:D

The problem with going to the reef from Airlie Beach when on a cruise ship, is that it can only be done by booking through the ship. There isn't time to go ashore to Airlie and take a bus to Shute Harbour before the cruise boats leave for the day. Similar problems occur with the return trip. People who book this excursion through the ship are taken directly off the cruiseship at the start of the day and returned the same way. This would save probably 1.5 hours at each end of the day.

The problem with going to the reef from Airlie Beach when on a cruise ship, is that it can only be done by booking through the ship. There isn't time to go ashore to Airlie and take a bus to Shute Harbour before the cruise boats leave for the day. Similar problems occur with the return trip. People who book this excursion through the ship are taken directly off the cruiseship at the start of the day and returned the same way. This would save probably 1.5 hours at each end of the day.

I do not see this as a problem but a convenience.:D

I do not see this as a problem but a convenience.:D

Maybe I didn't express myself well. :D You mentioned that the Quicksilver tours leave from Airlie Beach (I think it is actually Shute Harbour). I was making the point that people have to book through the ship and cannot do this tour privately.

With a trip like this I'd always use the ships tour. And I usually don't book ships tours.

I share the same view ....any big day long tour we always book from the ship.....simply because if anything goes wrong the ship will wait for you but not if you organise your own private tour.its rare that things go wrong but it has happened and will happen again...kinda like a bit of insurance and peace of mind i guess.

Col:)

I share the same view ....any big day long tour we always book from the ship.....simply because if anything goes wrong the ship will wait for you but not if you organise your own private tour.its rare that things go wrong but it has happened and will happen again...kinda like a bit of insurance and peace of mind i guess.

Col:)

Same sort of view as you. I do like to mix it up with Ship's tours, private excursions and CC rollcall organised tours.:D

Sorry to butt in - question for MicCanberra. We're going to be in Canberra in March. Do you know anything about the Nagee apartments in Manuka vs the Meriton apartments in Kingston? Which one is the better one??? Thanks!!:confused:

Sorry to butt in - question for MicCanberra. We're going to be in Canberra in March. Do you know anything about the Nagee apartments in Manuka vs the Meriton apartments in Kingston? Which one is the better one??? Thanks!!:confused:

Sorry, I do not know about the Nagee apartments but have utilised the Meriton ones in Kingston several times, it is reasonably priced to stay there. Kingston is a suburb which Manuka is a shopping precinct nestled between Kingston, Griffith, Forrest and Barton both are fairly close to Capital Hill. I would think price may be an indication as they are probably fairly close to each other (300 m).

I would think being closer to Civic (Turner, Acton, Braddon) would be a better location in Canberra but this all depends on what you want to do and how long you are here for and if you have your own transport.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Sorry, I do not know about the Nagee apartments but have utilised the Meriton ones in Kingston several times, it is reasonably priced to stay there. Kingston is a suburb which Manuka is a shopping precinct nestled between Kingston, Griffith, Forrest and Barton both are fairly close to Capital Hill. I would think price may be an indication as they are probably fairly close to each other (300 m).

I would think being closer to Civic (Turner, Acton, Braddon) would be a better location in Canberra but this all depends on what you want to do and how long you are here for and if you have your own transport.:D

Thanks for the update MicCanberra. We're actually driving from Sydney along the coast before going inland to Canberra & then playing golf at Federal and staying in Canberrra overnight before the next drive to Lake Entrance & onto Melbourne. I just wasn't sure which apartments to stay at since both are about the same in pricing!:o

Thanks for the update MicCanberra. We're actually driving from Sydney along the coast before going inland to Canberra & then playing golf at Federal and staying in Canberrra overnight before the next drive to Lake Entrance & onto Melbourne. I just wasn't sure which apartments to stay at since both are about the same in pricing!:o

Both of those locations are very handy for Federal Golf course. Nagee apartments are spread out all over Canberra with the office (where you need to pick up the keys) in Manuka itself, so if you go with them make sure the address of the actual apartment is in the close proximity to Manuka or it may prove rather inconvenient.:D

Both of those locations are very handy for Federal Golf course. Nagee apartments are spread out all over Canberra with the office (where you need to pick up the keys) in Manuka itself, so if you go with them make sure the address of the actual apartment is in the close proximity to Manuka or it may prove rather inconvenient.:D

MicCanberra - you are my contact for Canberra! Did you like the Meriton Apartments? Also, do you have any good suggestions for restaurants nearby? The only one that sounded good to me was Water's Edge Restaurant. I really appreciate your help!:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Is Arlie Beach or Port Douglas better to go to the Reef? Is it better to go to the reef world or Islands near the reef?

We did the QuickSilver trip out of Port Douglas. Now in all honesty I don't know how this would work coming off a cruise ship. We were there by car and it was simple and reasonably priced. The Great Barrier Reef is not to be missed. Oh, and the platform we used was great, Nice lunch served as well.

Cheers, Kenn

MicCanberra - you are my contact for Canberra! Did you like the Meriton Apartments? Also, do you have any good suggestions for restaurants nearby? The only one that sounded good to me was Water's Edge Restaurant. I really appreciate your help!:rolleyes:

Sorry, this thread fell off my radar. There are plenty of nice restuarants in the Kingston/ Manuka area ranging in all types of cuisine. Food is very subjective though so I would advise going for a walk, look at some menus and then decide if you want to go in or move on to the next place.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

We did the QuickSilver trip out of Port Douglas. Now in all honesty I don't know how this would work coming off a cruise ship. We were there by car and it was simple and reasonably priced. The Great Barrier Reef is not to be missed. Oh, and the platform we used was great, Nice lunch served as well.

Cheers, Kenn

If you do the ship's tour they pick you up from the ship with the Catermaran that goes out to the reef.:D