Using Travellers Checks to pay for on-board expenses

Susan-M

I am thinking of bringing Travellers Checks to pay for our on-board expenses and wondered if Celebrity charges a fee for them? Normally I would pay by credit card, but the conversion rate charged by our credit card company (exchange rate, plus a fee from U.S. to Cdn) is not that favorable. I was going to bring U.S. Checks for shipboard expenses, and some Euro Checks to exchange for cash on board. Thanks for your help with this,

One of the things to remember is that you will need to go to Guest Relations to settle your bill at the end with travellers cheques. Not quite so straight forward when you want to chill before they turf you off the ship.

I would be surprised if the exchange rate and fees for paying by card would be any worse than those in obtaining travellers cheques. My experience is that it has always been better. My only proviso would be if you wanted to take advantage of a better rate and stock up before you go.

As for the euros, I wouldn't bother with cheques. Just take a couple of cards with you and use them in the ATMs in the countries you visit. Saves queueing in the banks and the rate should be more favourable. Check with your bank what the fees are before you leave.

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the advice. I agree that the bother of traveller's cheques is usually not worth it & I haven't used them in years. One of the reasons I am thinking of buying the Euro cheques is because of the better rate at present. Since booking this trip in January, the cost to buy a Euro has dropped by $.20 Cdn. Of course it could continue to improve...it's a gamble. I don't think I would cash them at banks, rather will use them for our hotel stays and cash some on board the ship for spending money. This is a very port-intensive cruise, so perhaps cashing them at the ship's bank may not be a good idea due to our busy schedule, and the ATM for daily spending would make more sense.

As for on-board expenses, perhaps I should take some U.S. cheques and apply them to our account early in the cruise when I can find a quiet time at the Guest Relations. Anything spent above that could go on our CC with the poor exchange rates.

Hi Susan. That's not a bad compromise, so that if the rate gets better you can take advantage of that too. That would be the only reason for me taking currency or travellers as you say if you wanted to guarantee the rate before you left. I must say that I have always just used the cards and got the rate at whatever it was when I returned. Sometimes it has been better, sometimes worse. Just one other thing. If you have currency or travellers cheques, use them up unless you plan on keeping them for another trip as the difference in the buying and selling rate will mean you'll lose out.

Phil

Archived