A34 closure causes nightmare journey - 16/17 November 2013

dun123das

Just a quick post to say that cruisers driving down to Southampton today or, more significantly on Sunday need to be aware that we had about 70 miles diversion through little villages which added almost 2 hours to our journey today. Hope this prevents anyone getting caught out tomorrow.

Wow, you could certainly miss the boat with a 2 hour delay, that must've been awful. Although I must say some of those villages are really pretty if you are not in a rush.

Maybe that's what happened to Hyacinth and Richard Bucket when they missed the QE2;)

Thank you for this. You have made me very pleased that I decided to catch the train tomorrow instead of driving!

Of course, catching a train on a Sunday is not very good as there are track closures. The trains I would have caught now include bus from Reading to Basingstoke. Luckily there's a 10:15 train that goes the long way around, but does not include any changes.

I agree. We would never leave it until " the day"

Before now,we have been caught in a tailback after an accident on the M4, that delayed us over 4 hours! Luckily we were travelling the day before, but had it been on the day, we would most definitely have missed the ship.

If you make sure you are ahead of the coaches the ship won't leave without you.

David.

Usually. I have known the ship leave before the coaches arrived, when they were severely delayed. They wouldn't have made their itinerary and the forecast was bad, so passengers were flown to Spain somewhere.

Edited by cruiseluvva