Euros in Tallin and Oslo?

In Tallin 2 yrs ago they took Estonian Kroon (EEK) and Oslo, Norwegian Kroner (NOK)

I don't think they took Euros but maybe someone with more recent trip there will post.

In Tallin 2 yrs ago they took Estonian Kroon (EEK) and Oslo, Norwegian Kroner (NOK)

I don't think they took Euros but maybe someone with more recent trip there will post.

Certainly, neither Estonia nor Norway officially use the Euro.

I'd rather assumed that the OP knew that already, but I don't know how widespread the acceptance of Euros actually is. Usual rules apply, though: If you don't use the official local currency, expect to be ripped off to a greater or lesser degree by the exchange rates which shops will apply.

Certainly, neither Estonia nor Norway officially use the Euro.

I'd rather assumed that the OP knew that already, but I don't know how widespread the acceptance of Euros actually is. Usual rules apply, though: If you don't use the official local currency, expect to be ripped off to a greater or lesser degree by the exchange rates which shops will apply.

When we were there the shops only took the countries own currency!

We had to go to the ATM or Forex to exchange U.S. dollars to local currency.

My point was : in 2 years things may have changed as many more tourists are arrivng on many more cruise ships.

Celebrity does not carry Estonian money on their ships. Shops in Tallinn accept $$ (and probably Euros too) and credit cards. I got a lower price for $$ cash payment. I asked for change back in Estonian money and they I got it.

There are money change places but they charge a $4 or $5 min fee. I saw some ATMs too.

The only place I used local currency for was for beer (since I had some), but could have used credit card.

We were able to use credit cards in the shops for merchandise. However, we went into a lovely cafe for some pastry and coffee but couldn't get anything because they didn't take US Dollars, Euro's or credit cards. :(

Jane

I was able to get Estonian krooni right at the ATM in the downtown hotel right in Tallinn where we were dropped off for the day from the port. At that time, in 2000, it was illegal to take the currency out of the country, though I am not sure how they enforce that.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived