Veendam Panama Canal 10/19-11/9 quick report

Shmoo here

Well, since we’re back a week now, I finally was able to do a little trip wrap-up for our recent cruise.

ms Veendam 21 night Panama Canal cruise 19 Oct-9 Nov. Boston to San Diego. Ports of call: Port Canaveral, FL; Fort Lauderdale, FL; Key West, FL; Georgetown, Grand Cayman; Cartagena, Columbia; transit Panama Canal; Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica; Corinto, Nicaragua; Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala; Puerto Chiapas, Mexico; Huatulco, Mexico; Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

EMBARKATION: Actually we had it good. We flew in early to Boston where we were met by friends who took us on a short city tour (including the Duck Tour). The weather was absolutely gorgeous. Arrived at port around 2 pm and there was absolutely no line. Checked in and went immediately to room to drop off stuff (including sodas purchased by our friends for us to take along). Bags were arriving at our room almost as soon as we were leaving the room to get something quick to eat before muster drill.

THE GOOD: While I feel that the whole cruise was quite good, there were many things that stood out above – one of the best shows I’ve seen on HAL: Encore. Also good in the show department were the ABBA Fab show and several of the comedians. I also thought the HAL cats on this cruise were the best we’ve seen. The food on this cruise (and I realize that food is quite subjective) was the best food we’ve had on any of our HAL cruises, although I wish that they would mix in some “regular” dishes (meat loaf and mashed potatoes or ham and sweet potatoes) once in a while. Weather was absolutely awesome, most days in the mid 80’s, even with the 85-95% humidity. Almost every evening we were treated to a spectacular light show (lighting) due the rain that occurred most nights after we were back onboard. Only 750 passengers onboard from Boston to Fort Lauderdale. The ship filled up in Fort Lauderdale, but prior to that getting around and doing anything onboard was nice. Crew was so nice and friendly. Number of kids onboard: 5, plus one baby, no teenagers. The kids club people set up trick or treating for the kids on Halloween.

THE BAD: One of our dining companions showing up at dinner 2 nights before the end of the cruise announcing he has “one of the worst colds he’s ever had”. The Showroom at Sea was extremely cold, especially the lower level, at all times of the day. Many of us onboard were wearing our jackets every night for the shows. Also the AC in our room, while I had it turned all the way over to the warmest setting, I had to ask for additional blankets and wound up wearing my new HAL hoodie to bed (with the hood up). There were 2 people who delayed us (twice) since they were late returning to the ship. The police actually drove them up to the ship in Nicaragua.

DISEMBARKATION: As is to be expected, there were people in the non-US group who did not report the immigration/customs check point in a timely manner, delaying disembarkation for the rest of us. At least one party missed their flight out of San Diego because of this. And, courtesy of my dining companion, by the time we reached home I had a pretty bad cold.

Thanks for posting your mini review. As we will be on her in 16 days it is good to hear anything positive.

We are looking forward to good food and entertainment then. Yay. I would rather have it too cold than too hot.

As you did one can always add clothing or blankets, but when it is too hot - well once you are naked and have a fan blowing on you not much else you can do. :D

Thanks for the mostly good news about the Veendam since we join her for the Christmas holidays. Glad to know my Ugly Christmas Sweater will get some good use in those cold public rooms. Appreciate you taking the time to write your very comprehensive and informative review. Hope they are still doing the ABBA show next month.

Interesting review and we agree with much of what was said (we joined that cruise earlier in Quebec City). Food in the MDR was about the best HA food we have had other then on the Prinsendam where the food is always very good. The entertainment was a few notches above what we normally expect on HA and besides the shows (already mentioned by the OP) we would give a gold star to Don Alexander, the very talented piano player, piano-sax player (at the same time), piano-harmonica player, and singer who entertained us every night (he never gets a night off) in the MIX piano bar.

The OP mentioned the A/C issues and we agree...but think its even worse then the op. Yes, the showroom was often freezing...but at the same time the MDR could be warm and stuffy. And while the OP was too cold in their cabin, all 8 at our dinner table complained that it was always too hot in their cabins. In fact, once we were in the warmer climate we could not get our cabin temp below 73 (even on the coldest setting) and it was often over 75. Bottom line is that HA does a very poor job "balancing" their A/C...and we have had this problem on other HA ships.

Regarding food, unfortunately the very good MDR food was balanced out by sub-standard Lido food. The pizza (at slices) was typical awful HA fare and keeping pizza warm under a heat lamp for an hour does not help. The situation at the grill (near the pool) was even worse with the place being staffed by a single harried employee ( cook, server, order taker, cleaner, etc) who worked at his normal plodding pace no matter how many were in line. At times it could easily take over 15 min to get a burger which was often pre-cooked and then given a final grilling to heat it up (and make it near crispy). We heard more then a few passengers talking about the obvious understaffing in the food venues. The crew worked very hard, were always courteous, but just did not have enough help. In the Lido there was only one ice cream station open (they never staffed the 2nd location) and there were often long lines waiting to get a cone. At breakfast they expected a single cook to handle both the Eggs Benedict Station and Toast Station at the same time...which is not fair for the cook and less fair for passengers.

On a positive note, DW and I did dine in the Pinnacle one evening where everything was near perfect. However we later heard from several passengers that Le Cirque (in the Pinnacle) was not worth the cost and they did not think the selection was adequate for that special event.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks for the report. Our paths crossed in the Panama Canal for I was on the Westerdam.

Passing the Westerdam 10/29/13:

5yw9yf.jpg

21nplc4.jpg

Thank you for this report of your Veendam cruise.

Was Captain Bos in command of the ship?

No, we had Captain Chris Norman. Except for the distance between Costa Rica and Puerto Vallarta, when Captain Norman needed to leave the ship for personal reasons. Our interim captain was Captain Henrik Krombeen.

And I agree with Hlitner, Don Alexander in the Mix was great. We were in there most evenings after the show.

Edited by Shmoo here

No, we had Captain Chris Norman. Except for the distance between Costa Rica and Puerto Vallarta, when Captain Norman needed to leave the ship for personal reasons. Our interim captain was Captain Henrik Krombeen.

Krombeen? Is that his name? Seriously? :D

Krombeen? Is that his name? Seriously? :D

That's the name they gave me at the front desk when I asked. I couldn't really understand him well on the PA system, so I asked what his name was and that's what it sounded like he was saying.

Why, is it a funny name?

That's the name they gave me at the front desk when I asked. I couldn't really understand him well on the PA system, so I asked what his name was and that's what it sounded like he was saying.

Why, is it a funny name?

Captain CrookedLeg :)