Walking to Manhattan cruise terminal

mcarlson86

Hello! Hoping someone who's done this before or is from the area can help me out! I need pretty straightforward directions on the best way to get to the NYC Manhattan cruise terminal via subway/walking. I can see that 12th avenue/55th street has an "entrance" but it looks like it is more for cars/taxis than people. I have been searching but I find mostly people saying it's "too far" or to just get a taxi. Others say how easy it is, but nobody has actually posted how to do it. I'm not from NYC so basically i need someone to say exactly what street (obviously it'll be 12th avenue) is the best place for a pedestrian to use for entrance to the terminal. I'm sailing from either 88/90/92nd pier. If you can even just give me that information I'll figure out what subway stop is closest!

Thanks!

Megan

Closest subway stop for you: 42nd & 8th (A, C, E trains) or 50th & 8th (C or E). Then walk four (long) blocks west to 12th.

I wouldn't even consider 42nd St and 8th Ave as an alternative, because the 50th St. station is 8 blocks closer and is essentially served by the same subway lines. (The only difference being which hours the 3 lines serve 50th and 8th.)

OP...Pier 92 is no longer used for cruise ships. You will be at 88 or 90, and the pedestrian entrance for 88 is at 48th St and 12th Ave, while Pier 90's pedestrian entrance is at 50th St. and 12th Ave.

Edited by njhorseman

Closest subway stop for you: 42nd & 8th (A, C, E trains) or 50th & 8th (C or E). Then walk four (long) blocks west to 12th.

Due note that the 8th Ave 50th Street station is a two level station. 8th Ave C trains are on the upper level and 8th Ave E trains are on the lower level.

The E train does run more frequently but not that much to make a difference but hauling bags an extra flight might so stick with the C if you can.

Due note that the 8th Ave 50th Street station is a two level station. 8th Ave C trains are on the upper level and 8th Ave E trains are on the lower level.

The E train does run more frequently but not that much to make a difference but hauling bags an extra flight might so stick with the C if you can.

Great advice, thanks!! : )

If you take the m42 bus. Which you pick up on 42nd street ( this is. A free transfer if you are using the subway first) you can take it all the way to the west side highway. Once there you can walk the pedestrian walkway all the way up through the terminals. It runs adjacent to bike path along the Hudson River

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea what this means, as the A train NEVER stops at 50th Street.

According to the MTA it does stop at 50th St. between midnight and 6:30 am, hours when the C train doesn't run. While it's obviously unlikely anyone would be going to the cruise terminal during those hours, my statement about all 3 lines serving 50th St. station is factually accurate.

Edited by njhorseman

I have no idea what this means, as the A train NEVER stops at 50th Street.

Yes the A in Transit vernacular "Crawls the wall" all local service stopping at 50th Street around 10:30p weekdays until around 6am and also weekends. I doubt anyone is going to the pier those times.

Always check http://www.mta.info for schedules.

Where are you walking from? It's quite different if you are just 'walking" as opposed to having luggage with you. Getting on and off of buses and up and down the stairs for subways with luggage and carry on...... for what you paid for the cruise...assuming you are somewhere in Manhattan, spring for $20 bucks and take a cab to the pier!