A different MTD question

So my girlfriend and I are planning to try My Time Dining for the first time on our upcoming Liberty cruise in January.

Last time we had the traditional 8:30pm seating and a table for 2.

This time, we'd like to maybe start the first night at a larger table and see if it's a fun crowd; if not, we figure MTD would allow us to just get a table for two the next evening.

Question: do we need reservations if, let's say the first night we want to be at a table for 6 or 8? Either way, will they seat us with people who would first be starting their meal too, or would we be joining others at their table mid-way through a meal? (awkward)

Thanks!

my SWAG is that if you walk up the first night with no reservations and ask to be seated with others that is what will happen.

we had made ressies ahead of time ( indicated we would be okay with sitting at a larger table) and were given a 2 top and not even asked if we wanted anything larger.

The only problem with trying to sit with others at MTD, is that most folks don't WANT to sit with any but their own party....and if you do sit with others, they may not come to dinner at the same time again!

If you are seated with others, they will not put you at a table that's in the middle of service.

So my girlfriend and I are planning to try My Time Dining for the first time on our upcoming Liberty cruise in January.

Last time we had the traditional 8:30pm seating and a table for 2.

This time, we'd like to maybe start the first night at a larger table and see if it's a fun crowd; if not, we figure MTD would allow us to just get a table for two the next evening.

Question: do we need reservations if, let's say the first night we want to be at a table for 6 or 8? Either way, will they seat us with people who would first be starting their meal too, or would we be joining others at their table mid-way through a meal? (awkward)

Thanks!

Me and my wife went fot MTD thinking it would be like traditional dining with your own dinner schedule. It wasn't.

We like the idea of dining with other people to have a conversation with. But we found that most people who chose MTD were people who wanted to dine in private.

We weren't seated with others any of the nights we we went there.

On our next cruise in January we have gone back to traditional dining.

I agree with the prevailing thought of other posters here.

If you want to meet people at dinner, you are better off choosing a traditional dining seating.

I have tried to use MTD to sit with random people, and there are just not other people waiting for someone to join them. A group of 4 or a couple or a group of 6 will come to the dining room, asking for that table that fits them, for the most part. It is actually difficult to sit with "strangers" using MTD.

:)

When cruising with my sister, she would just as soon not have to make small talk with others. Granted we have had some unusual table mates over the years ;) but none completely awful. We just like dining at our own pace. We also tend to be more casual when traveling together.

When cruising with my husband he likes the conversation at a larger table and like at home, we tend to dine late. Also, we go a little more formal.

Thanks for the replies. We'll stick with traditional.

What if we want a table for two the second night on? Can we switch to MTD after the first night if the tablemates don't work out?

Well, "it depends."

You have a few options.

You can simply ask the Maitre D' to try to find you a different table in your same traditional seating and see if those tablemates are more "simpatico".

You can ask the Maitre D' if he can find you a two-top in your traditional seating.

You can ASK to switch into MTD, but the answer is often "it is completely full and we cannot accommodate another person."

Edited by Merion_Mom

Thanks for the replies. We'll stick with traditional.

What if we want a table for two the second night on? Can we switch to MTD after the first night if the tablemates don't work out?

Possibly. There's limited seating, so if they have space, they will accommodate you. If you are able to change, they will immediately charge the full gratuities.

My experience has been that MTD is very rushed because the waiters have more tables with differing needs to cater to, unless you are already with a group. If you want a relaxed dinner and social interaction, go with traditional, preferably second seating. First seating tends to have more family groups, including those with children. Second seating tends to have more younger couples. First seating also accommodates the more elderly. I know they try to look at the demographics when assigning tables, but not always.

Edited by Mystaken