MSC Grand Voyages (Repositioning Cruises) October 2014 - April 2015

Skipper Tim

I did the Suez run earlier this year on the Azamara Journey from Mumbai to Piraeus; I should like to do it again since it has an addictive quality. I was born in one of the numerous RAF bases in the desert which were dotted along the length of the Canal, but my stay there was cut short by a contretemps with the locals :)

Having read the 'how to get Freebie air flights' I suspect I would be travelling cattle class; subject to that it certainly looks interesting...

Having looked into the flights and especially Avios situation regarding a number of these increasingly likely repo cruises, the Orchestra's from Venice to Dubai is looking particularly attractive to me.

1) Venice is cheap, fast and convenient to reach from the UK unlike Genoa which would have involved (for me) two flights and possibly two train journeys: one in the UK and one in Italy from Milan. It is also beautiful and possibly the most attractive port to leave from or arrive at in the World. This is a good start!

2) Going East is good! Things get more interesting in the Eastern Med. I hope they spice up the itinerary with some ports of call in Greece and Turkey before Suez.

3) Suez! I have done a Suez transit once before and look forward to doing it again. Apart from the startling imagery of a huge ship passing through a narrow canal cut into the desert, I remember groups of soldiers who were deployed near the banks of the canal in the middle of nowhere coming out to wave at us as we slowly passed. I gather they don't get that many cruise ships passing through - it must be mostly freight.

4) The excitement of the Gulf of Aden - will pirates attempt to board? Will the guests and crew fight them off?

5) I would like to visit Muscat when it is under 140 degrees C. I feel I couldn't do it justice on the one previous occasion.

Dubai, I can take or leave. I am not one for large air-conditioned shopping malls full of over-priced designer wear.

6) Instead, I will return business class on one of the luxurious Middle-Eastern airlines that include a limousine pickup from anywhere in the UAE free of charge. I can be met off the ship by my private chauffeur and rushed to the executive lounge, completely spoilt there and on the flight back. A very good use of my hard-earned Avios, I believe and an excellent end to the trip. (See my thread about free flights for repo cruises).

I am therefore committing myself to this repo on the proviso that MSC come out with their regular UK repo pricing. Hence I thought I would get the roll call off to an early start.

Anyone thinking about joining me?

Tim.

On the Lirica repo, we stopped at Athens before Suez.

Suez was IMHO quite boring - but we were fog bound part of the transit.

At Suez, MSC took on board a contingent of personnel from http://www.solaceglobal.com

I agree re Dubai - I can take it or leave it.

I only cruise MSC for repos but I have an instinct that they will reduce the number of advantageously priced cabins for solos. The repo from Dubai to Australia interests me, so after South Africa next March, I may have a year gap before my next MSC cruise. Maybe time for a Panama Canal transit next year.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

I only cruise MSC for repos but I have an instinct that they will reduce the number of advantageously priced cabins for solos.

Annie

What do you mean? Were there special priced cabins for solos? According to my understanding there is a solo supplement. Do you mean they will make less cabins available for solos?

I hope not, altough this is quite difficult to guess. I hope it will not turn out to be a self fulfilling prophecy...

What do you mean? Were there special priced cabins for solos? According to my understanding there is a solo supplement. Do you mean they will make less cabins available for solos?

I hope not, altough this is quite difficult to guess. I hope it will not turn out to be a self fulfilling prophecy...

Not all MSC cruises attract a solo supplement.

I have observed that the number of solo deals appears to be drying up - that is all.

Also there has been a change in the top management structure in MSC UK.

Annie

In the UK at least, most MSC repositioning cruises have initially gone on sale with zero solo supplements. As the cruise sells, supplements start to appear (25-50%), then the base fares rise, supplements may rise, then sometimes MSC stop accepting solo occupancy bookings at any price.

Hence the early discussion! We solos need to be aware of what is likely to be offered and be fast off the block when repo itineraries go on sale.

I have my flights already planned :). I am just waiting for someone in Geneva to press the 'release' button.

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Having looked into the flights and especially Avios situation regarding a number of these increasingly likely repo cruises, the Orchestra's from Venice to Dubai is looking particularly attractive to me.

1) Venice is cheap, fast and convenient to reach from the UK unlike Genoa which would have involved (for me) two flights and possibly two train journeys: one in the UK and one in Italy from Milan. It is also beautiful and possibly the most attractive port to leave from or arrive at in the World. This is a good start!

2) Going East is good! Things get more interesting in the Eastern Med. I hope they spice up the itinerary with some ports of call in Greece and Turkey before Suez.

3) Suez! I have done a Suez transit once before and look forward to doing it again. Apart from the startling imagery of a huge ship passing through a narrow canal cut into the desert, I remember groups of soldiers who were deployed near the banks of the canal in the middle of nowhere coming out to wave at us as we slowly passed. I gather they don't get that many cruise ships passing through - it must be mostly freight.

4) The excitement of the Gulf of Aden - will pirates attempt to board? Will the guests and crew fight them off?

5) I would like to visit Muscat when it is under 140 degrees C. I feel I couldn't do it justice on the one previous occasion.

Dubai, I can take or leave. I am not one for large air-conditioned shopping malls full of over-priced designer wear.

6) Instead, I will return business class on one of the luxurious Middle-Eastern airlines that include a limousine pickup from anywhere in the UAE free of charge. I can be met off the ship by my private chauffeur and rushed to the executive lounge, completely spoilt there and on the flight back. A very good use of my hard-earned Avios, I believe and an excellent end to the trip. (See my thread about free flights for repo cruises).

I am therefore committing myself to this repo on the proviso that MSC come out with their regular UK repo pricing. Hence I thought I would get the roll call off to an early start.

Tim.

I think if the price is right we're with you on this one........

Will not have enough Avios to get near a flight from Dubai but we will give it a go...

I think if the price is right we're with you on this one........

Will not have enough Avios to get near a flight from Dubai but we will give it a go...

There are ways and means for collecting (Amex cards. bonus Tesco points, TopCashBack and the like) but also ways and means for spending little on flights. It is only 12,500 Avios +£13.40 taxes pp in economy from Abu Dhabi to Berlin and another 4,500 + £17.50 pp onto Manchester via Heathrow. The times are not great but the journey is doable at very little cost.

Tim.

Also seriously interested subject to seeing now they price it.

As a matter of interest which Middle eastern airlines can you use Avios with? Currently have almost 50,000 but should have more in early 2014. Did business class within emirates (work paying) and it was amazing. Chauffeur pick up, dedicated check ins and fast track everywhere. Only time I had a long wait was at passport control back at Glasgow!

Edited by AmoMondo

As a matter of interest which Middle eastern airlines can you use Avios with? Currently have almost 50,000 but should have more in early 2014. Did business class within emirates (work paying) and it was amazing. Chauffeur pick up, dedicated check ins and fast track everywhere. Only time I had a long wait was at passport control back at Glasgow!

Sadly, Emirates is not on the list. I believe BA, Qatar and Royal Jordanian are the only OneWorld (ie. Avios-compatible) airlines of use from Dubai to the UK. BA have by far the highest taxes and fees (around £162 + 20k Avios economy, £210 + 40k Avios business).

The odd one out is AirBerlin from AbuDhabi to Berlin which, because of a codeshare with luxury airline Etihad provides an Etihad-like business class service on that route only, including chauffeur pickup from anywhere within the UAE. This is a bargain at 25k Avios + £13.40 business class plus another 9k +17.50 to the UK with BA on a separate ticket but has serious downsides as I pointed out to MooMoo above.

A conventional redemption will be with BA or with Qatar from Dubai - don't mix more than one airline per one ticket otherwise the rates go up to 35k/70k Avios + taxes and fees. Separate tickets are fine except for the lack of responsibility to get you home! I will look into Royal Jordanian.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Tim.

Ha, ha...that's an interesting and exciting aspect.

However, I believe to 100% that there is no reason to be afraid or worried!

I would really love to go on this repositioning; one of the main high-lights - for me - would be the passage through the Suez channel.

Though, the biggest problem is to be away from work that many days. I guess that is a very common issue for a lot of us...

If not - like you Tim - you have a company of your own and may do your work from anywhere, or if you are a pensionar or similar (with a good economy) :rolleyes:...

Edited by Frode

Price is everything - if I am mostly going to be on the ship, I am a tart to the price.

I couldn't find any Royal Jordanian redemption seats showing on the BAEC system. However, doing a broader search on skyscanner, economy seats from Dubai to London are routinely available upwards of £110 including taxes via 25+ airlines. It is too early to see competitive fares a year's hence but the omens are very promising for obtaining a reasonably-priced flight back from Dubai and perhaps trying a new airline to boot.

I would expect to see vast numbers of cheap flights from Dubai, given the number of package holidays there; there will also be the expensive ones designed for business travellers, so I was surprised to see that there are no direct flights to London City Airport. Those may come on stream next year...

Edited by Willow1686
Too many 'the's

Tim.

Skipper Tim, what about this solution as I can see that you are interested in some "action" :D

http://www.somalicruises.com/

Here is a slight update using the assumption that the Arabian Sea and Canaries/Red Sea itineraries will again run Saturday-Saturday. This puts more certainty on the likely durations of the Armonia and Orchestra October/November repositionings.

Key: known facts (best guess itinerary) [reason for update], updates in bold

Repositioning Cruises start dates/ports by ship

MSC Armonia, 17th October 2014, from Venice (probably to Gran Canaria, possibly to Sharm el-Sheikh, 9 nights) [to end on a Saturday]

MSC Armonia 27th April 2015, from Istanbul (to Venice, 3-4 nights or 1 night without passengers)

MSC Lirica, current itineraries end 7th November 2014 at Civitavecchia. To be stretched (4-8 weeks) before repositioning to Rio de Janeiro

MSC Magnifica, 19th October 2014, from Hamburg (to Buenos Aires, 17-18 nights)

MSC Musica, 17th November 2014, from Genoa (to Santo Domingo, Caribbean, 13-15 nights)

MSC Opera, 7th October 2014, from Southampton (to Durban, 18-19 nights)

MSC Orchestra, 5th November 2014, from Venice to Dubai, (18 nights) [to end on a Saturday]

MSC Orchestra, 21st February, 2015, from Dubai to Fremantle, Australia, 33 nights

MSC Poesia, 17th November 2014, from Genoa to Santos, (16-17 nights)

MSC Preziosa, 8th November 2014, from Venice to Santos, 16-18 nights)

MSC Sinfonia, 27th November 2014, from Genoa (to Durban or Cape Town, 18-19 nights)

Repositioning Cruises end dates/ports by ship

MSC Orchestra ending 23rd March 2015 at Fremantle, Australia (from Dubai, starting 21st February 2015, 33 nights)

MSC Armonia ending 18th April 2015 at Istanbul (probably from Gran Canaria, possibly from Sharm el Sheikh, 6-12 nights)

'Stationary’ Ships

MSC Divina, 4th April 2015, year-round Miami

MSC Fantasia, 2nd November 2014, year-round Genoa/Venice

MSC Splendida, 29th March 2015, year-round Genoa

If anyone has any further repositioning cruise information, please to post it here.

Tim.

Thanks to Norwegian Cruiser 73 for a tip off to an additional source: the Facebook page of the fan group, ‘MSC Forever’. Here is the Google translation of their most recent post.

“New horizons for MSC, including classic routes here, and new exclusive MSC For Ever a preview on the winter season 2014/2015. Great news of the season is the arrival of MSC Orchestra in the UAE, as well as the exclusive MSC Grand Voyage that will take from Dubai to Fremantle in a fabulous 34-day cruise with stops in India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Australia. Lovers of the Mediterranean will also count for the coming winter on MSC Splendida with the classic 8-day cruises with MSC Fantasia and the alternate to the Canary Islands and in Israel. Another new feature is the positioning of the MSC Opera MSC Armonia instead of fly-cruise itineraries in the Canary Islands. For now it is confirmed the presence of MSC Poesia, MSC Magnifica and MSC Precious in South America, MSC Musica and MSC Divina to the Caribbean.”

So the Opera will replace the Armonia in the Canaries. In the absence of any other information, we must assume the Armonia will replace the Opera in South Africa. Also, the same source states that all four Lirica class ships will be stretched before the 2014/5 season, starting 4th April with the Lirca scheduled to take 3 MONTHS! This sounds much more than a stretching - more like a total refit. Presumably, we are going to hear about an awful lot about cancelled cruises aboard Lirica class vessels this Summer. If you are a compensation chaser, it may be the time to book.

Putting all the latest information together we have……

Key: known facts (best guess itinerary) [reason for update], changes are marked in bold

Repositioning Cruises start dates/ports by ship

MSC Armonia, 17th October 2014, from Venice (to Durban, 18-19 nights) [source above]

MSC Armonia 27th April 2015, from Istanbul (to Venice, 3-4 nights or 1 night without passengers) [May be switched to MSC Opera]

MSC Lirica, 7th November 2014 from Civitavecchia to Rio de Janeiro (16-17 nights)

MSC Magnifica, 19th October 2014, from Hamburg (to Buenos Aires, 17-18 nights)

MSC Musica, 17th November 2014, from Genoa (to Santo Domingo, Caribbean, 13-15 nights)

MSC Opera, 7th October 2014, from Southampton (to Gran Canaria, 11 nights) [source above]

MSC Orchestra, 5th November 2014, from Venice to Dubai, (18 nights) [to end on a Saturday]

MSC Orchestra, 21st February, 2015, from Dubai to Fremantle, Australia, 33 nights

MSC Poesia, 17th November 2014, from Genoa to Santos, (16-17 nights)

MSC Preziosa, 8th November 2014, from Venice to Santos, 16-18 nights)

MSC Sinfonia, 27th November 2014, from Genoa (to Durban or Cape Town, 18-19 nights)

Repositioning Cruises end dates/ports by ship

MSC Orchestra ending 23rd March 2015 at Fremantle, Australia (from Dubai, starting 21st February 2015, 33 nights)

MSC Armonia ending 18th April 2015 at Istanbul (probably from Durban, 18-22 nights) [May be switched to MSC Opera from Gran Canaria]

'Stationary’ Ships

MSC Divina, 4th April 2015, year-round Miami

MSC Fantasia, 2nd November 2014, year-round Genoa/Venice

MSC Splendida, 29th March 2015, year-round Genoa

If anyone has any further repositioning cruise information, please to post it here.

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Also, the same source states that all four Lirica class ships will be stretched before the 2014/5 season, starting 4th April with the Lirca scheduled to take 3 MONTHS! This sounds much more than a stretching - more like a total refit. Presumably, we are going to hear about an awful lot about cancelled cruises aboard Lirica class vessels this Summer. If you are a compensation chaser, it may be the time to book.

The rumour in Italy is that the ships will be 'stretched' by Fincantieri in Parlemo and the schedule would be as follow:

Lirica from 24/04/2014 to 14/07/2014

Armonia from 15/09/2014 to 17/11/2014

Sinfonia from 12/01/2015 to 16/03/2015

Opera from 27/04/2015 to 29/06/2015

Edited by MM42

The rumour in Italy is that the ships will be 'stretched' by Fincantieri in Parlemo and the schedule would be as follow:

For the second time in one day, I find myself begging for the source of a better informed Cruise Critic. Such specific dates are a very hard form of rumour. Would you care to share your source?

A glass of wine in advance,

Tim.

... and if true, those dates set up some interesting repositioning opportunities at potentially knock-down rates. The Sinfonia would (probably) have to transit from South Africa to Italy over Christmas and New Year and the Armonia would leave Europe, newly stretched and refitted, for South Africa late November. There is the possibility of a repo B2B! Wouldn't that be something?

... and if true, those dates set up some interesting repositioning opportunities at potentially knock-down rates. The Sinfonia would (probably) have to transit from South Africa to Italy over Christmas and New Year and the Armonia would leave Europe, newly stretched and refitted, for South Africa late November. There is the possibility of a repo B2B! Wouldn't that be something?

On magnifica on equator no news from cruise consultant re any repro 2015

David

On magnifica on equator no news from cruise consultant re any repro 2015

David

Many thanks David. Perhaps you should bring the cruise consultant upto speed from this thread?

I had interpreted a Brazilian press-release, via Google Translate, to mean that their 2014/5 season would go on sale yesterday, possibly including the repo cruises. That turned out not to be the case. I will keep watching. With less than a year to go to the repos and the season generally, it really is getting a little late!

Many thanks David. Perhaps you should bring the cruise consultant upto speed from this thread?

I had interpreted a Brazilian press-release, via Google Translate, to mean that their 2014/5 season would go on sale yesterday, possibly including the repo cruises. That turned out not to be the case. I will keep watching. With less than a year to go to the repos and the season generally, it really is getting a little late!

Yes, I agree that it is getting late. I wonder why does it take so long:confused Every other cruiseline has already the reposition dates...

Yes, I agree that it is getting late. I wonder why does it take so long:confused Every other cruiseline has already the reposition dates...

I believe it is something to do with the Mediterranean mentality. I have lived in Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey and found the cultural inability/reluctance to plan ahead a common trait. Mobile phones have made it worse. Try to make an appointment with a dentist: "Just call me when you are coming". To a workman: "So you will come tomorrow?", "I will call".

I am sure MSC finds our desire to book things a year or more in advance totally mad. They are trying to adapt to cope with our madness but have little sympathy for it.

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Just crossed equator 30 humidity 87 still no news re repro

David

Ps my drink is most expensive WATER ok Tim re orchestra

I believe it is something to do with the Mediterranean mentality. I have lived in Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey and found the cultural inability/reluctance to plan ahead a common trait. Mobile phones have made it worse. Try to make an appointment with a dentist: "Just call me when you are coming". To a workman: "So you will come tomorrow?", "I will call".

I am sure MSC finds our desire to book things a year or more in advance totally mad. They are trying to adapt to cope with our madness but have little sympathy for it.

Tim.

True. Italians do not plan a vacation more than 3 months in advance.