MSC Grand Voyages (Repositioning Cruises) October 2014 - April 2015

Skipper Tim

I believe it is something to do with the Mediterranean mentality. I have lived in Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey and found the cultural inability/reluctance to plan ahead a common trait. Mobile phones have made it worse. Try to make an appointment with a dentist: "Just call me when you are coming". To a workman: "So you will come tomorrow?", "I will call".

I am sure MSC finds our desire to book things a year or more in advance totally mad. They are trying to adapt to cope with our madness but have little sympathy for it.

Tim.

But if so, how do you explain that Costa and Silversea have already its repo? Well, OK maybe for Costa the planning is being done by the "parents" (Carnival), but Silversea, which advertises the "Italian way of cruising"?.....

There is still no news on when these will go on sale. This is the latest speculation and collection of rumours.

Key: known facts (best guess itinerary) [reason for update], changes are marked in bold

Repositioning Cruises start dates/ports by ship

MSC Armonia, 17th November 2014, (Italy to Durban, 18-19 nights) [after scheduled refit & stretch]

MSC Armonia 27th April 2015, from Istanbul (to Venice, 3-4 nights or 1 night without passengers) [May be switched to MSC Opera]

MSC Lirica, 7th November 2014 from Civitavecchia to Rio de Janeiro (16-17 nights)

MSC Magnifica, 19th October 2014, from Hamburg (to Buenos Aires, 17-18 nights)

MSC Musica, 17th November 2014, from Genoa (to Santo Domingo, Caribbean, 13-15 nights)

MSC Opera, 7th October 2014, from Southampton (to Gran Canaria, 11 nights)

MSC Orchestra, 5th November 2014, from Venice to Dubai, (18 nights)

MSC Orchestra, 21st February, 2015, from Dubai to India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia ending 23rd March 2015 at Fremantle, Australia, 33 nights

MSC Poesia, 17th November 2014, from Genoa to Santos, (16-17 nights)

MSC Preziosa, 8th November 2014, from Venice to Santos, 16-18 nights)

MSC Sinfonia, 27th November 2014, from Genoa (to Durban or Cape Town, 18-19 nights)

Repositioning Cruises end dates/ports by ship

MSC Armonia ending 18th April 2015 at Istanbul (for ‘Gallipoli’ charter) (from Durban, 18-22 nights, may be switched to MSC Opera from Gran Canaria, 7 or 14 nights)

'Stationary’ Ships

MSC Divina, 4th April 2015, year-round Miami

MSC Fantasia, 2nd November 2014, year-round Genoa/Venice

MSC Splendida, 29th March 2015, year-round Genoa

Dry Dock

The rumour in Italy is that all four Lirica class ships will be 'stretched' by Fincantieri in Parlemo and the schedule would be as follows (thanks to MM42). This complicates and adds to an already busy repositioning season!

Lirica from 24/04/2014 to 14/07/2014

Armonia from 15/09/2014 to 17/11/2014 (then to Durban or Cape Town)

Sinfonia from 12/01/2015 to 16/03/2015 (from Durban or Cape Town)

Opera from 27/04/2015 to 29/06/2015

So if the 33 night Dubai to Australia doesn’t tickle your World cruise fancy, how about a 19/20 night cruise on the newly-stretched and refitted Armonia in late November from Palermo to South Africa, two weeks or so there and then back on the Sinfonia over Christmas and New Year? That would be a good chunk towards Black card status.

If anyone has any further repositioning cruise information, please to post it here.

Tim.

This is the latest speculation and collection of rumours with the latest on the Orchestra’s repositioning to Dubai.

Key: known facts (best guess itinerary) [reason for update], changes are marked in bold

MSC Armonia, 17th November 2014, (Italy to Durban, 18-19 nights) [after scheduled refit & stretch]

MSC Armonia 27th April 2015, from Istanbul (to Venice, 3-4 nights or 1 night without passengers) [May be switched to MSC Opera]

MSC Lirica, 7th November 2014 from Civitavecchia to Rio de Janeiro (16-17 nights)

MSC Musica, 17th November 2014, from Genoa (to Santo Domingo, Caribbean, 13-15 nights)

MSC Orchestra, 25th November 2014, from Venice to Dubai, (18 nights)

MSC Orchestra, 21st February, 2015, from Dubai to Fremantle, Australia, 33 nights

MSC Poesia, 17th November 2014, from Genoa to Santos, (16-17 nights)

MSC Preziosa, 8th November 2014, from Venice to Santos, 16-18 nights)

MSC Sinfonia, 27th November 2014, from Genoa (to Durban or Cape Town, 18-19 nights)

MSC Armonia ending 18th April 2015 at Istanbul (for ‘Gallipoli’ charter) (from Durban, 18-22 nights, may be switched to MSC Opera from Gran Canaria, 7 or 14 nights)

'Stationary’ Ships

Dry Dock

The rumour in Italy is that all four Lirica class ships will be 'stretched' by Fincantieri in Parlemo and the schedule would be as follows (thanks to MM42). This complicates and adds to an already busy repositioning season!

So if the 33 night Dubai to Australia doesn’t tickle your World cruise fancy, how about a 19/20 night cruise on the newly-stretched and refitted Armonia in late November from Palermo to South Africa, two weeks or so there and then back on the Sinfonia over Christmas and New Year? That would be a good chunk towards Black card status.

If anyone has any further repositioning cruise information, please to post it here.

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Hello friends

We receiveid yesterday a pre-reservation for this cruise departing november 8 from Venice to Santos, with a previous stop in Rio (instead Búzios this time).

Here's the itinerary:

08/11/14

SÁBADO

--:--

17:00

VCE

Veneza, Itália

10/11/14

SEGUNDA-FEIRA

08:00

18:00

MLA

La Valletta, Malta

12/11/14

QUARTA-FEIRA

16:00

MLT

Barcelona, Spain (PRT)

14/11/14

SEXTA-FEIRA

10:30

18:30

LIS

Lisboa, Portugal

16/11/14

DOMINGO

FNC

Funchal, Portugal

17/11/14

SEGUNDA-FEIRA

09:00

SCT

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Espanha

24/11/14

SEGUNDA-FEIRA

09:00

SSA

Salvador, Brasil

26/11/14

QUARTA-FEIRA

RIO

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

27/11/14

QUINTA-FEIRA

07:00

--:-

SSZ

Santos, Brasil

We have a YC2 cabin reservation for 3 adults, but i don't think we gonna make this cruise. The price offered for MSC (with MSC Gold Card) is the absurd of US$12.500,00. This is more than the double offered in this year crossing. I really don't know what is going on with MSC Prices this season. Probably we gonna try Princess departing LA to Rio in deceber, 33 nights for less than MSC offered in 18 days... CRAZY MSC!:mad:

Victor Joseph

Thanks Victor. I have now been able to link to three repositioning itineraries on the MSC non-geographic website and confirmed their durations. Slowly the picture is becoming clearer. My other attempts have thus far failed which may suggest my information is not quite right as yet. Victor’s concerns over price increases reflects comments by the new UK MSC head, Giles Hawke, that MSC were no longer going to compete just on price.

MSC Orchestra, 25th November 2014, from Venice to Dubai, 18 nights

MSC Orchestra, 21st February, 2015, from Dubai to Fremantle, Australia, 33 nights

MSC Poesia, 17th November 2014, from Genoa to Santos, 19 nights

MSC Preziosa, 8th November 2014, from Venice to Santos, 19 nights

'Stationary’ Ships

Dry Dock

The rumour is that all four Lirica class ships will be 'stretched' by Fincantieri in Parlemo and the schedule would be as follows (thanks to MM42).

Tim.

February!

MSCChat.jpg

This is dissappointing to us. Options with other cruiselines are already selling well. Apparently who ever is responsible is still facing the challenge to put the itineraries together. Why it is so difficult for MSC remains for me unknown. I do not think that it has to do with the "italian" way of doing things because Costa and Silversea seem to be able to plan in advance.

Edited by travelberlin

I don't know if it was intended but even the word "should" implies a degree of uncertainty.

In an industry where customers like to book up to two years in advance, 8/9 months before the start of the season really is very late. This must cost MSC sales.

Tim.

I don't know if it was intended but even the word "should" implies a degree of uncertainty.

In an industry where customers like to book up to two years in advance, 8/9 months before the start of the season really is very late. This must cost MSC sales.

Tim.

Yes my response also said should be Feb but they are going to message me when they are on the website.

They need to sell these a bit earlier than this but it's earlier than it used to be! Used to be February for the summer! Another 5 or 10 years and they'll be on sale a year in advance!

Yes my response also said should be Feb but they are going to message me when they are on the website.

They need to sell these a bit earlier than this but it's earlier than it used to be! Used to be February for the summer! Another 5 or 10 years and they'll be on sale a year in advance!

Well, I can stop checking twice a day then.

Will they release a full year's cruises?

What I find odd is that MSC can order a new ship to be built years before it is ready and they presumably know what they are going to do with it when it arrives but we can't book a cruise more less than a year away, despite the flights being on sale and all the competition have their offering already out. MSC need a good poking.

Well, I can stop checking twice a day then.

Will they release a full year's cruises?

What I find odd is that MSC can order a new ship to be built years before it is ready and they presumably know what they are going to do with it when it arrives but we can't book a cruise more less than a year away, despite the flights being on sale and all the competition have their offering already out. MSC need a good poking.

The flights for Feb and Mar 15 won't be on sale until Feb 14 at earliest. That and the 'stretching' of the Lirica class has no doubt upset the planning.

Annie

PS that won't stop me checking daily though :)

The flights for Feb and Mar 15 won't be on sale until Feb 14 at earliest. That and the 'stretching' of the Lirica class has no doubt upset the planning.

That and the new Venice restrictions/uncertainty. A 20% reduction in cruise ships in Venice would impact upon MSC quite seriously. If only Berlusconi were still in power and a few bribes could be done.

PS that won't stop me checking daily though :)

Nor me :).

MSC Australia has announced in a news letter 3 Grand Voyages for November 2014. Here is the link: http://www.msccruises.com.au/au_en/About-MSC-Cruises/Loyalty-Newsletter.aspx

I was hoping that the Orchestra would leave on the 5th for Dubai...

All the Grand Voyages until April 2015 are all open for booking on MSC Australia. http://www.msccruises.com.au/au_en/Msc/MSC-Cruises-Grand-Voyages.aspx

Edited by MM42

What! It used to be in February for the summer!!! No wonder it is hard to use the MSC coupn. It requires either full rate or to be used with booking 6 months in advance (early booking)

All the Grand Voyages until April 2015 are all open for booking on MSC Australia. http://www.msccruises.com.au/au_en/Msc/MSC-Cruises-Grand-Voyages.aspx

That is an exceptionally confusing web page.

Some of the the dates say 2013 not 2014.

The maps aren't correct (the repo for Dubai appears multiple times)

The place names are incorrect

The Opera repo in 2014 from S'ton is right in the middle of a bookable cruise on the UK site.

I'm hoping all these are cosmetic errors otherwise whoever is playing chess with these ships probably does need until February to sort out the mess!

That is an exceptionally confusing web page.

Some of the the dates say 2013 not 2014.

The maps aren't correct (the repo for Dubai appears multiple times)

The place names are incorrect

The Opera repo in 2014 from S'ton is right in the middle of a bookable cruise on the UK site.

I'm hoping all these are cosmetic errors otherwise whoever is playing chess with these ships probably does need until February to sort out the mess!

I found this link by mistake... or just luck. Those cruises are not available yet. Once the main office pushes the 'release season 2014-2015' button, they will become available for booking. That's why when you press the 'book now' button you are redirected to different cruises. I guess they haven't finished working on the maps but the dates are correct.

Edited by MM42

I found this link by mistake... or just luck. Those cruises are not available yet. Once the main office pushes the 'release season 2014-2015' button, they will become available for booking. That's why when you press the 'book now' button you are redirected to different cruises. I guess they haven't finished working on the maps but the dates are correct.

That's the thing - they aren't correct. The August and October dates all say 2013. And it's backed up with the Opera being in service up to the end Sep 2014 out of S'ton.

I'm sure they will rehash this and slot the correct dates in. At least we know that the Venice Dubai is a go and the dates. There are quite a few that are up for this one. We are torn between this and the Rio to Miami in July. Whichever we choose it will be the only other holiday we will have in 2014 so we should choose wisely.

That's the thing - they aren't correct. The August and October dates all say 2013. And it's backed up with the Opera being in service up to the end Sep 2014 out of S'ton.

I'm sure they will rehash this and slot the correct dates in. At least we know that the Venice Dubai is a go and the dates. There are quite a few that are up for this one. We are torn between this and the Rio to Miami in July. Whichever we choose it will be the only other holiday we will have in 2014 so we should choose wisely.

You are right. Sorry, my mistake. I only looked at the repo cruises starting in November 2014 since the 2014-2015 season starts in October/November 2014.