Double credits for Vista Suites???

LindaM

You do not get double points if it is an upsell, only if you pay full price. If that is not true then Hal owes us some points. We have had several upgrades (upsells) but did not get any extra points towards mariner status.

Not necessarily true. In most cases yes but... as long as it is a published fare, and so it doesn't have to be full fare at the time of your booking.

We had an upsell to a suite once. Monitored the web site regularly and when the price dropped down below what we paid (by about $5) we took a screen shot just in case.

After the cruise we did not get our double points so we called, provided the screen shot, and got our double points.

Not necessarily true. In most cases yes but... as long as it is a published fare, and so it doesn't have to be full fare at the time of your booking.

We had an upsell to a suite once. Monitored the web site regularly and when the price dropped down below what we paid (by about $5) we took a screen shot just in case.

After the cruise we did not get our double points so we called, provided the screen shot, and got our double points.

Let's not confuse the issue. What you are describing is a price drop that you were able to take advantage of. It's not the same thing as an upsell. ;)

Just to be clear, upsells don't show on the HAL website. They are offers that you get through HAL, your PCC or TA. You will never see them on the website.

You were lucky enough to snatch a good deal that was available and yes, you should have had the points for it.

As I wanted confirmation earlier this year for the Koningsdam, I received this detailed response from the Mariner Society:

Dear Mr. Fouremco,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding our Suite Double Cruise Day credits. Guests who sail in a qualifying category and pay a published fare will earn double cruise day credits. For example, a guest who pays a published fare for Neptune Suite accommodations for a 10-day cruise earns 20 Cruise Day credits.

The qualifying suite categories are as follows:

Vista Class- Oosterdam, Noordam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam:

PS Pinnacle Suite

SA-SC Neptune Suite

SS-SZ Signature Suite

Signature Class- Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam:

PS Pinnacle Suite

SA-SC Neptune Suite

SQ Neptune Spa Suite

SU Signature Spa Suite

SS-SZ Signature Suite

S/R Class- Amsterdam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Rotterdam, Statendam, Volendam, and Zaandam:

PS Pinnacle Suite

S Neptune Suite

A-BC Vista Suite

BQ Vista Spa Suite

S/R Class – Veendam:

PS Pinnacle Suite

S Neptune Suite

A-BC Vista Suite

Note, the VQ category on the Veendam is a Verandah and does not qualify for Suite Bonus.

Prinsendam:

PS Pinnacle Suite

S Neptune Suite

SS-SY Signature Suite

A-BC Vista Suites

Pinnacle Class - Koningsdam

The Koningsdam has several categories that are have verandahs, however they are not listed as suites and therefore do not receive Suite Bonus Days. Only the following category classifications will receive Suite Bonus Day

Penthouse Suite

Neptune Suite

Signature Suite

Vista Suite

Guests who receive a complimentary upgrade into a Pinnacle Suite, Neptune Suite, Signature Suite or Vista Suite, or who are offered and accept a special paid upgrade from a lower non-qualifying category will not receive the suite double cruise day credits.

If you have further questions please let us know or visit us online at http://www.hollandamerica.com. We thank you for your continued patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back onboard in September.

Kind Regards,

Marsha

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

800-547-9139

Edited by Fouremco

Let's not confuse the issue. What you are describing is a price drop that you were able to take advantage of. It's not the same thing as an upsell. ;)

Just to be clear, upsells don't show on the HAL website. They are offers that you get through HAL, your PCC or TA. You will never see them on the website.

You were lucky enough to snatch a good deal that was available and yes, you should have had the points for it.

Not confusing the issue. I'll repeat. So people can learn.

I had a verandah and was offered an upsell which I took. Upsell to a suite was still several $100's less than what was available on the web site at the time of the upsell. After final payment date they eventually dropped the price (after several price drops) for a suite on the website to $5 less than my total upsell price. That became the new "published fare" for a suite so I got the double points, eventually. Since the price drops occurred after final payment I could not cancel and rebook at the lower rate (because you can't after final) and I did not get the $5 back either.

I did not take advantage of an advertised price drop to move from a verandah to a suite. I took advantage of an unadvertised upsell.

Just wanted to make the point that because you may have taken an upsell does not mean you will not get double points as the poster stated. You need to have the right conditions for it to happen.

So if you take an upsell, monitor the web site for price drops, and if it drops below what you paid then go get your double points.