Tipping for room service??????

grantime

Room service is FREE. You are not charged a gratuity. However, technically speaking it is not accounted for in the daily gratuities charged to you. You may elect to spend any amount; including $0.

I usually tip $2-3 per order. It seems like many tip a similar nominal amount.

Edited by LMaxwell

We always tip 2$ when ever we use room service. I usually get a bunch of 2$ bills from the bank before we leave. It is considered good luck by many of the workers on the ships in that part of the country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree with other posters. Although its free technically, its just nice to give a few dollars. I have not seen it in print that you have to you. (maybe someone can help with this?)

I just think of I this way. If I ordered room service in a hotel, I would tip. Same goes for an all inclusive resort. So we also come prepared with singles for this purpose.

We always tip 2$ when ever we use room service. I usually get a bunch of 2$ bills from the bank before we leave. It is considered good luck by many of the workers on the ships in that part of the country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No, much of the crew think the $2 bill is fake and they cannot be used in any non US ports. The shops will not take them.

Actually tips are included in the gratuity . I tip extra ;)

...Actually, the tips for the room service delivery people (usually the off duty junior waitstaff) is not included in the gratuities. It is extra work besides their MDR duties, and should be tipped in addition to your regular tips.

...Also, regarding the $2 bills. Happen to mention it a couple of times while room service was making a delivery. It's true that they feel $2 bills are unlucky. They try to avoid them. We used to use them all the time until we found this out. Near the end of one of our cruises, I happen to catch the workers loading up the luggage late on the last evening of our cruise. I had a couple of $2 bills left, and thought it would be a nice gesture to give a little something to this one very hard working guy. As I handed it to him, he looked down at the cash and said "No, no thank you" and walked away. Luckily, I caught him a few minutes later in the hallway loading a new cart, and gave him 4 single dollar bills. He smiled and thanked me several times.

...Actually, the tips for the room service delivery people (usually the off duty junior waitstaff) is not included in the gratuities. It is extra work besides their MDR duties, and should be tipped in addition to your regular tips.

...Also, regarding the $2 bills. Happen to mention it a couple of times while room service was making a delivery. It's true that they feel $2 bills are unlucky. They try to avoid them. We used to use them all the time until we found this out. Near the end of one of our cruises, I happen to catch the workers loading up the luggage late on the last evening of our cruise. I had a couple of $2 bills left, and thought it would be a nice gesture to give a little something to this one very hard working guy. As I handed it to him, he looked down at the cash and said "No, no thank you" and walked away. Luckily, I caught him a few minutes later in the hallway loading a new cart, and gave him 4 single dollar bills. He smiled and thanked me several times.

I highly disagree .

I'd tip $10 if they brought me a full hot breakfast in the morning. :D Maybe I should write that on the card. :rolleyes:

(I imagine the wait staff has no control of the available room service menu - so I'm mostly kidding)

Room service is FREE. You are not charged a gratuity. However, technically speaking it is not accounted for in the daily gratuities charged to you. You may elect to spend any amount; including $0.

I usually tip $2-3 per order. It seems like many tip a similar nominal amount.

Do not elect to tip zero. They are doing you a service so tip something.

Actually tips are included in the gratuity . I tip extra ;)

Room service is not included in auto tips. We tip a buck or two depending upon what we order.

Was a fun novelty early on in our cruising career but lately we rarely use room service.

Room service is not included in auto tips. We tip a buck or two depending upon what we order.

Was a fun novelty early on in our cruising career but lately we rarely use room service.

We also have not done it on the last few cruises.

What country are you talking about? Staff comes from many countries. Never heard of $2 bills be "lucky". If anything the opposite as some merchants do not want to take them.

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

$ 3.70 - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.