Possibly cancelling cruise - sick dog :(

bhughey

This really made me weepy reading all these posts,its wonderful to read how much people love there fur babies.I lost my "precious,long hair chihuahua"while i was on a cruise to Asia.Come to find out she had a heart murmor.Every time we would pull out the luggage she would try and get in it,it got to the point to where i had to hide the luggage,because she would start grieving.I was devastated,i just wanted a few more minutes with her.i TOTALLY understand your concern with leaving your baby,prayers your baby gets well.

This really made me weepy reading all these posts,its wonderful to read how much people love there fur babies

Me too!

I really hope Cooper is better ASAP, and that you are able to go on your holiday without stressing or worrying about them (though that's not really ever possible, is it?!)

We lost a cat to cancer a few years ago now, and he had to be hospitalised during his chemo treatment but we made daily trips to see him. It was hard knowing he was sick and that we couldn't be there for him fully - but in the end he was better off in the hands of the professionals and if we had gone for a week he probably wouldn't have noticed.

Whatever decision you make will be the right one for you, and Cooper, at the time. All the best.

I have always appreciated the cruise critic community and even more so now. I am truly moved by everyone's well wishes and touched by every personal story. I think my co-workers and friends are tired of my constant stressing/worrying/weighing options, so thank you all for sharing your suggestions/ideas and opinions. I'll certainly keep you all posted.

~Beth, John & Cooper

We just got back after being gone 3 weeks we have 2 dogs that are ~18 and ~13 they are small dogs but have lost most of their teeth.

I would see if you can get an ultrasound done if that would help. If you have someone who cares about your pet then you should just make sure the vet knows they can make decisions and that you will cover the costs and go.

we also have elderly parents and if either of them had passed away when we were on the ship we would miss the funeral but that is all part of life. You never know when stuff will happen. i have had dogs that went for a long walk one day and the next day the vet said they had massive tumors in their lungs. The tipping point between healthy and sick is usually very quick.

Wishing your sweet pup a quick recovery and that he is back to normal before long. I too have lost a dog, she was my world... the reason I decided we could have kids (I didn't have a good family myself so I was unsure about starting one with my hubby)

I figured if we could care for a dog, surely we could adjust to a couple kids too!

My heart still hurts for her... I miss her all the time.

I just pray for you that yours if better before you know it.

Thoughts and Prayers you way my dear.

Chass

hello bhughey,

I know what your going through,we lost our little girl on nov 29 last year while on a cruise from Bangkok to Sydney.

she was ill when we left, but both our vet and ourselves were confident she would be waiting when we got back home,we left here with our daughter (she bought her for us) some 14 years earlier.our little baby was a chocolate brown mini poodle,and we just loved her to bits,and she to us.we had lots of hugs and cuddles before we left her, and just incase of the unexpected, I made a coffin and dug her plot in our back yard in a spot she loved to be.

we were sitting on our balcony watching a storm having a cold drink when our daughter rang to say our girl had gone backwards, and her organs were shutting down at a rapid rate and advise was from our vet to make her passing as painless as possible,i asked my daughter to tell the vet to help our girl go peacefully, and I hung up the phone,my daughter rang me and my wife back some ten minutes later to say she had gone to heaven,and just then a huge rainbow appeared over the ocean,we believe it was out girl saying goodby.she had a wonderfull life and wanted for nothing,my only regret was we were not there to say good by in person.we miss here badly everyday,but at least we can walk down to her plot in our back yard and say hello when ever we want. I know some people will think we are mad,but they can steal your heart.

if I had that time over, no I would not have gone on the cruise,loss of money or whatever I wouldn't care.

their is more to life thank money.

its a hard decision,just follow your heart

keep well

While you wait for any input on using the 'Any Reason" cancelling, you might also consider boarding the dog with the Vet. I know we never used boarding and had friends watch our pets at home, but if the dog is sick, and the Vet believes it is manageable, you might check with the Vet office on if they board or if they recommend a boarder they have a connection with.

The day after you cancel, the dog could very well start doing great. And your friends will really, really miss you!

Den

If my dog were sick I would cancel the cruise. If it were my wife I would go.

hello bhughey,

I know what your going through,we lost our little girl on nov 29 last year while on a cruise from Bangkok to Sydney.

she was ill when we left, but both our vet and ourselves were confident she would be waiting when we got back home,we left here with our daughter (she bought her for us) some 14 years earlier.our little baby was a chocolate brown mini poodle,and we just loved her to bits,and she to us.we had lots of hugs and cuddles before we left her, and just incase of the unexpected, I made a coffin and dug her plot in our back yard in a spot she loved to be.

we were sitting on our balcony watching a storm having a cold drink when our daughter rang to say our girl had gone backwards, and her organs were shutting down at a rapid rate and advise was from our vet to make her passing as painless as possible,i asked my daughter to tell the vet to help our girl go peacefully, and I hung up the phone,my daughter rang me and my wife back some ten minutes later to say she had gone to heaven,and just then a huge rainbow appeared over the ocean,we believe it was out girl saying goodby.she had a wonderfull life and wanted for nothing,my only regret was we were not there to say good by in person.we miss here badly everyday,but at least we can walk down to her plot in our back yard and say hello when ever we want. I know some people will think we are mad,but they can steal your heart.

if I had that time over, no I would not have gone on the cruise,loss of money or whatever I wouldn't care.

their is more to life thank money.

its a hard decision,just follow your heart

keep well

OMG, I wish I hadn't been temped to have a quick look at this thread to see how things were going whilst at work, your post was so beautiful it has made my cry (a lot!)

We have cats in our house, as we both work full time, but they are definitely our 'babies' as we've never had kids. We have two Ragdolls at the moment, quite young still (18mths). We lost our 2 Birmans last year, through old age and renal failure, and it absolutely broke my heart.

To the OP, I hope everything goes well with the vets, but you will know in your heart what is the right thing to do.

Wishing you all well

Lou x

Edited by Lovemychoos

We had a beautiful flat coated retriever for 9 years, rescued when he was 2 or 3 years old. He was very loving and adored people, not an aggressive bone in his body. In 2012 my husband and I were close to booking a Med cruise for October....Boomer started to show some problems in August which gradually morphed into more and more issues. Something was holding us back from sending that final email to the TA to say 'book it'.

Early in October he started to deteriorate rapidly and tests revealed problems with his liver and kidneys. We did x-rays which did not tell us anything comforting. The dog was not getting better no matter what we tried and we made the devastating decision to ring the vet who came to our home....the dog greeted him warmly at the door which made it all the worse for us!

Long story short, a year later and we are recovering from the loss of our sweet boy. We have said many times if we had booked that cruise we would have been cancelling it. We were so thankful we could be with him in his last moments, holding him and telling him how much we loved him and what a good dog he was.

We took that Med cruise this past August and it was wonderful.

My heart goes out to you. If your friends are true friends they will understand.

Please call the insurance company that's providing the insurance and ask specific questions. Unfortunately, illness or death of a "family" member does not include pets. In my case, the "cover for any reason" situation was only valid if I purchased the insurance within 15 days of making the original cruise deposit and paid 1.2 % in additional premium.

Best of luck.

Please call the insurance company that's providing the insurance and ask specific questions. Unfortunately, illness or death of a "family" member does not include pets. In my case, the "cover for any reason" situation was only valid if I purchased the insurance within 15 days of making the original cruise deposit and paid 1.2 % in additional premium.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your comments.

Was your policy through X? The cruisecare "cancel for any reason" verbiage does not mention anything re: additional cost or valid only if purchased 15 days from original deposit.

I understand how anyone who loves their pet feels when they are sick, to some they are animals but to us they are family and family come first

It is always a hard decision to make but you will make the right one for your furbaby

We were in a similar position in May when our dog was sick, I really didn't want to go and leave her and our pet insurance covered for holiday cancellation for a life threatening condition only, luckily she was fine before we left but I worried about her all holiday

I hope everything works out ok for you and I am sure we are all sending positive thoughts your way, and to all of you that have lost part of your family

Back in 2005 shortly before our first cruise (which celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary), our beloved sheltie, Sarge, became sick. Instead of leaving him at the trusted kennel that Sarge liked, we boarded him at a vet hospital that had boarding. We spoke to the hospital and/or doctor everyday we were in port (yes, we had a large 'roaming' charge - but we didn't care - he was our baby).

He was doing better or a while after we got home , but we found out a few weeks later that he had a very agressive stomach cancer and we had to put him down! :(

I hope Cooper gets well soon and I am sure he knows how much you love him.

I am so sorry you are faced with this dilemma and I second all those who say "if in doubt, don't go". I have 2 geriatric cats (16years) who are my children, and I am haunted with the knowledge that things could start to go downhill at anytime now. We have paid in full for a February cruise but I know that if I see signs that they are going downhill, I will not go.

I hope Cooper recovers and you feel confident enough to go, but if not I don't think you will ever regret the decision to not go, no matter what happens next.

I had the same problem with my dog on my cruise in June. He was very sick, wouldn't eat. Did ultrasound and found tumors on his liver and adrenal glands. Vets told me he if we can't get him to eat we should think of euthanasia.

I cooked for him for days and finally got him to eat. We could not leave him with the dog sitter who usually watched him so we boarded him in the hospital at the vets.

I left him with a heavy heart but knew he was in the best place.

It has been 5 months and he is doing great.

I wish you all the best with your decision.

Thanks for your comments.

Was your policy through X? The cruisecare "cancel for any reason" verbiage does not mention anything re: additional cost or valid only if purchased 15 days from original deposit.

I purchase my insurance through a different company, not Celebrity. It states specifically in the Celebrity policy the "need to cancel or interrupt their cruise vacation for SPECIFIED REASONS". I would question what those specified reasons might be.

For me, reading and understanding any insurance policy can only be done by someone who is much smarter than me.

In looking a bit further into Celebrity's policy, it states that up to 75% of the nonrefundable portion of the cruise fare can be applied to a future cruise IF the Cancellation Penalty Waver Addendum has been purchased.

I did tons of research for travel insurance programs that would allow me to cancel for any reason. All of them required an up front fee for the policy.

I sure hope Celebrity can help you out. I hope even more that your dog would recover and be healthy.

I am so sorry your dog is going through a tough time and I hope he is on the mend and you'll be able to take your cruise.

We had to put down our dog when he was 15 because it just seemed cruel not to. It was such a hard decision to make because we too did not have children and our Buddy filled that gap. As hard as it was it paled to losing my brother a few months earlier from brain cancer. All these years later I can cry about my brother and all that he has missed, but have very fond memories of our dog.

Your dog will always make you have happy thoughts. Hope your vet has good news for you and you can enjoy your holiday.

First of all my thoughts and prayers are with you. I hate to say it but I've had pets that were more important to me than many of my friends and certain family members... so I understand what you are going through.

You know in your heart what you want to do. Hopefully the insurance and other cancellation options will allow you to do that.

Don't forget, money can be earned... dealing with love and unconditional love can't be. My guess is the regret and heartbreak you will feel if anything happens while you are away will cost far more than cancelling the cruise.

Good luck.