Possibly cancelling cruise - sick dog :(

bhughey

In looking a bit further into Celebrity's policy, it states that up to 75% of the nonrefundable portion of the cruise fare can be applied to a future cruise IF the Cancellation Penalty Waver Addendum has been purchased.

I did tons of research for travel insurance programs that would allow me to cancel for any reason. All of them required an up front fee for the policy.

I sure hope Celebrity can help you out. I hope even more that your dog would recover and be healthy.

Wow... so grateful for all of your kind words and warm thoughts. Thank you!! Cooper is doing a good bit better...eating, tail wagging, playing with his bone...pretty much his usual self! But we are very cautiously optimistic and still operating on a on a wait-and-see basis.

On a seperate note....

The verbiage re: the X cruisecare/75% credit is a bit unclear. I've copied & pasted below:

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above

or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at anytime up until departure,

and you have purchased CruiseCare, Celebrity Cruise will provide

you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the nonrefundable value excluding

ChoiceAir of your Cruise Vacation prepaid to Celebrity Cruises, for your

use toward a future cruise.This additional enhancement is offered by

Celebrity Cruises as a special service to guests that purchase this cruise

ticket Cancellation Penalty Waiver Addendum. Certain restrictions on the

use of these cruise credits such as blackout periods may apply. Credits

are valid for one year from issue date, are not transferable, and have

be given to Celebrity Cruises prior to the ship’s departure. Once you’ve

cancelled with Celebrity Cruises, please contact the CruiseCare Help Line

at 1 800 797 4516 regarding cruise credits. ChoiceAir is not subject to

this cruise credit feature.

First it says...

1) "If you cancel for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at anytime up until departure and you have purchased CruiseCare, Celebrity Cruises will provide you a a credit..."

Ok - we have have purchased CruiseCare, so is this a special benefit for purchasing X's policy???

Then it also says....

2) "this additional enhancement is offered by Celebrity Cruises as a special service to guests that purchase this cruise ticket Cancellation Penalty Waiver Addendum".

But no where does it say... click here for more details on the Addendum? Is the addendum part of the standard policy? I am no contract lawyer and I ran it by my defense attorney husband who is also confused. I know I just need to call if/when the time comes.... but quite honestly at this point, the money is not the issue.

Again... my SINCEREST thanks to all of you! It's comforting knowing how many others have the same love for their fur babies!

I hope your Cooper gets well soon! I can't even imagine what I would do in your position. Our boy is the centre of our world, too! It's so stressful having a beloved pet get ill, if we could only ask them how they feel. Can someone stay at your house while you're away and take care of Cooper? At least he'd be in familiar surroundings.

Wishing you and Cooper all the best for a speedy recovery. Please let us know how this turns out.

BHUGHEY:

Even my defense attorney husband won't (can't) read insurance policies! He says he would rather stick to what he does best... speak in plain english! For as complicated as his job is, he always leaves any kind of insurance issues up to me.

As far as I can tell, the only way to get the correct information is to go to the source, the insurance company. Good luck!!

I'm no lawyer either (thank goodness), but from our EXPERIENCE using this insurance, they automatically give you the 75% credit. IIRC, it has to be used within a year. When they say of the "non-refundable portions", that means the refundable portions (shore excursions, etc.) will be automatically refunded, nothing to do with the insurance, and they will cover the parts that were not refundable.

I have no knowledge of the Choice Air stuff because we have never used Choice Air.

The "addendum" part I believe just means that this is an enhancement that we have "added" to the policy. Because I've never seen another travel insurance policy that has this provision (they all want "covered" reasons). And it is the reason why we always, always buy the X policy, because you never know when something non-medical/disaster-related might happen. 75% is a lot better than nothing.

I do recall one other thing...when we first called to cancel and stated the reason, we got a letter that the first words were "your claim has been DENIED"...don't panic...it goes on to say "your claim has been denied, BUT...you are covered under the "any reason" 75% thing" (I'm obviously paraphrasing).

So if my cat being sick was good enough then your dog being sick will be good enough.

But hopefully he'll be well enough that you'll be able to go!

Also want to add: the 3 times we've had to cancel an X cruise, twice for medical reasons, once for the cat...all 3 we happened to use FF miles for our air tickets, and all 3 times they ALSO covered the cost of reinstating the miles back into our accounts.

Edited by warmwinds

I'm no lawyer either (thank goodness), but from our EXPERIENCE using this insurance, they automatically give you the 75% credit. IIRC, it has to be used within a year. When they say of the "non-refundable portions", that means the refundable portions (shore excursions, etc.) will be automatically refunded, nothing to do with the insurance, and they will cover the parts that were not refundable.

I have no knowledge of the Choice Air stuff because we have never used Choice Air.

The "addendum" part I believe just means that this is an enhancement that we have "added" to the policy. Because I've never seen another travel insurance policy that has this provision (they all want "covered" reasons). And it is the reason why we always, always buy the X policy, because you never know when something non-medical/disaster-related might happen. 75% is a lot better than nothing.

I do recall one other thing...when we first called to cancel and stated the reason, we got a letter that the first words were "your claim has been DENIED"...don't panic...it goes on to say "your claim has been denied, BUT...you are covered under the "any reason" 75% thing" (I'm obviously paraphrasing).

So if my cat being sick was good enough then your dog being sick will be good enough.

But hopefully he'll be well enough that you'll be able to go!

Also want to add: the 3 times we've had to cancel an X cruise, twice for medical reasons, once for the cat...all 3 we happened to use FF miles for our air tickets, and all 3 times they ALSO covered the cost of reinstating the miles back into our accounts.

Thank you for sharing your experience! This certainly helps shed some light on the fine print ... and this is what I believed to be the case as well, but always like to ask the experts on cruise critic who have actually had real-life experiences!

Glad to hear Cooper is a little better. On another note, there are dog snacks out there that are making dogs sick. Not sure of the names but they are from China (what isn't these days). They are like jerky treats and chicken strips. So if Cooper gets snacks like those, find another snack. If I can find the article I'll be back to post the link. Here it is.... http://www.nbcnews.com/health/pet-jerky-treat-mystery-nearly-600-animals-dead-still-no-8C11436330

Feel better soon Cooper!!

Edited by fridaythe13th
posted link

Our first Lab's name was Cooper. He was 100 pounds of love. He was not heavy but was very tall dog. We lost his at age 9 all of a sudden. We miss him. We had two other dogs but my wife went out and got Riley. We have 3 dogs, 2 Labs and a Pug. Each has a different personality. I never wanted a dog but my kids pestered me and I broke down. It was the best decision of my life (I hope my wife doesn't read this). No matter how lousy my day is, I have the best welcoming committee when I walk through the door. Our Pug lost an eye when he was six months and people said we should put him down and I thought they were crazy. He's my best friend and sits on my lap and barking at every dog he sees on TV. I pray they your Cooper will do well.

bhughey, your post hit me in my heart. My Old English Sheepdog, Simone, passed away while being boarded at my vet while I was on a cruise (Spain, Portugal and Morocco) and I didn't find out until I landed at JFK. It was the longest flight home to Arizona. Even though in my heart I know that there would have been nothing I could have done if I were home, I still feel that if I was there she would have been alright. It will be three years this Thanksgiving. I said I would never get another dog, but six months later I got an Old English Sheepdog puppy, Sadie, who hasn't replace Simone in my heart, but has made her own place in my heart.

If you want some great snacks, Science Diet has some fantastic ones. Sadie loves the potato and spinsch ones, the oatmeal and banana ones and the oatmeal and cranberry ones. They are all natural.

Glad to hear Cooper is a little better. On another note, there are dog snacks out there that are making dogs sick. Not sure of the names but they are from China (what isn't these days). They are like jerky treats and chicken strips. So if Cooper gets snacks like those, find another snack. If I can find the article I'll be back to post the link. Here it is.... http://www.nbcnews.com/health/pet-jerky-treat-mystery-nearly-600-animals-dead-still-no-8C11436330

Feel better soon Cooper!!

As I read this post I was thinking the same thing. I recently found out from a client of mine that one of her dogs got very ill, to the point of thinking they would have to put him down. The vet couldn't pin point what the problem was, while she was laying in bed that night she remembered all the stuff about the jerky making dogs sick. She had purchased jerky from a big warehouse store, but it was made in the USA. She stopped giving any to her dog, as he was still willing to eat only that. He started getting better right away. Very scary! On a side note, I'm so sorry cooper is sick, We have our own Cooper half lab and half Aussie and the love of our lives. Our sweet 13 yr old Golden "Max" passed from cancer several months ago. I know what you are going through. Take Care

We are leaving on Friday for Fort Lauderdale and always board both of our loves. I worry when I drop them off that it will be the last time I see them. My little Twinkie is a 14 year old Yorkie with lots of problems but no pain. He still jumps around like a child. My Reece is a Min Pin that is 9 and he is just laid back.

My prayers are with you and Cooper and hope that he is just fine.

Glad to see that the OP isn't posting and I don't say that very often! Hope Cooper is OK and she is enjoying her cruise without too much worry. Her dilemma touched us as animal lovers and pet owners, as well as so many others.

• 3 weeks later...

Popped in on cruise critic for the first time in a while and saw this thread on the first page... I know I said I would report back... I just haven't had the courage or strength. It is with the heaviest heart that I report the passing of our sweet boy. It's simply too long (and too painful) of a story to go into all the details of how things transpired just before our cruise - but I do want to say that both my husband and I are finding peace and healing a teeny bit each day.

Our Cooper had the spirit of something not of this earth... I swear, I could look into his eyes and see his soul... and he could see mine. He was a dear friend, a snuggle-bug, a listener, a comedian (he had no idea how funny he was!) and a true gentleman. He left an indelible paw-print on our hearts and in our memories that will keep us connected until we meet again... and we will...

Thank you for thinking of us... it really means so much.

941951242_coopersmiles.jpg.dbc8087ee6dd401bc1b43cb33951cff1.jpg

Edited by bhughey

Oh, I was so hoping for some wonderful news. My heart goes out to you. Anyone who has ever lost a dear canine friend totally relates. I lost my true and faithful companion of 10 years, Rufus, in October and I know what you mean. God bless you and your husband.

Betty