Possibly cancelling cruise - sick dog :(

bhughey

Hi,

My thoughts and heart go out to you and your husband. I lost one of my best friends and a true soul-mate...my female Golden Retriever, Awstyn, and twin to my Cooper (who is lying next to me right now) exactly one year ago today...and I still miss her every single day...as does Cooper.

If you have never read Going Home...by Jon Katz...I highly recommend it. My wife bought if for me last Christmas...and reading it helped tremendously in my healing process.

And let me just quote a few sentences from the book:

(Dog Speaking)

"By now you must know that there is always a goodbye hovering in the shadow of a dog. We are never here for long, or for long enough. We were never meant to share all of your life, only to mark it's passages. We come and we go. We come when we are needed. We leave when it is time. Death is necessary. It defines life.

I will see you again.

I will watch over you..."....Jon Katz

Find Peace in the memories.

Woody

Edited by rwr235

I am so very sorry for your loss. As I was reading your post, tears came to my eyes and my throat closed up. But you have so many happy memories, and Cooper lives on in those memories. He was very lucky to have been so loved.

Popped in on cruise critic for the first time in a while and saw this thread on the first page... I know I said I would report back... I just haven't had the courage or strength. It is with the heaviest heart that I report the passing of our sweet boy. It's simply too long (and too painful) of a story to go into all the details of how things transpired just before our cruise - but I do want to say that both my husband and I are finding peace and healing a teeny bit each day.

Our Cooper had the spirit of something not of this earth... I swear, I could look into his eyes and see his soul... and he could see mine. He was a dear friend, a snuggle-bug, a listener, a comedian (he had no idea how funny he was!) and a true gentleman. He left an indelible paw-print on our hearts and in our memories that will keep us connected until we meet again... and we will...

Thank you for thinking of us... it really means so much.

My thoughts are with you...I lost my "soul mate" dog Jack a couple years ago from cancer and while the hurt will never go away it does get better. He was the most amazing animal I have ever had. Its amazing how sometimes there is just that one special one! Take Care

Hi,

My thoughts and heart go out to you and your husband. I lost one of my best friends and a true soul-mate...my female Golden Retriever, Awstyn, and twin to my Cooper (who is lying next to me right now) exactly one year ago today...and I still miss her every single day...as does Cooper.

If you have never read Going Home...by Jon Katz...I highly recommend it. My wife bought if for me last Christmas...and reading it helped tremendously in my healing process.

And let me just quote a few sentences from the book:

(Dog Speaking)

"By now you must know that there is always a goodbye hovering in the shadow of a dog. We are never here for long, or for long enough. We were never meant to share all of your life, only to mark it's passages. We come and we go. We come when we are needed. We leave when it is time. Death is necessary. It defines life.

I will see you again.

I will watch over you..."....Jon Katz

Find Peace in the memories.

Woody

What a beautiful quote. Tears streaming....

I will most definitely download to my kindle today. Cooper was our "first born" - he has been with me a 1/3 of my life, so we are navigating through our grief and trying to get used to this new routine without our big buddy and could use some help finding our path.

My sincerest thanks for all of your thoughts and especially those who have shared their personal and painful experiences of loss. Sometimes I think (I know!) my family thinks I am crazy for the way we viewed our dog as "one of us" - it's nice to know there are others who feel the same way.

I am so sorry for your loss, it is so hard to lose a best friend. Someone sent me a card with this on it, when I lost one of my best friends.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….Author unknown

I am so sorry for your loss, it is so hard to lose a best friend. Someone sent me a card with this on it, when I lost one of my best friends.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

I am sitting here crying. Such beautiful thoughts. Thank you for posting.

I love this... one of my favorites. Brings a tear and a smile.

Edited by bhughey

So sorry for your loss. Pets become big parts of our lives and those of us who have been there fully understand what you are going through. A friend shared this with us when our Shadow crossed the Rainbow Bridge a few years ago.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."

--Unknown

We will always miss Shadow, and Misty (who left earlier) as they were "one of us".

Take the time you need to grieve the loss. Talk about the good times you had. Cry together because it celebrates what you have shared.

It will hurt as you establish a new routine. You will be reminded of what you have lost. Do not fight the feelings, lets them out, acknowledge them and be comforted in the joy you had with Cooper.

Eventually, and your hearts will tell you when, you will be able to move on. In the mean time we are here for you.

My condolences on your loss, so sorry to hear this. Isn't it amazing how our beloved pets add so much to our lives? And it is a real and painful grief when they die. Sending prayers to you and your family.

We've had several wonderful furry friends, Crosbey, Bogart - our yellow and black Labs - sweetest dogs ever. Now I have Stuart my heart dog, a rescued Goldendoodle (born in a puppy mill), and I know his time will be short as he has no immune system and is allergic to vaccines, bee stings, meds. We have to carry a human Epi pen at all times but we aren't sure it would save him if he goes into shock again.

I'm blessed with a wonderful dog sitter who cares for both our dogs, in her home, while we travel. Our upcoming 14 night cruise will be the longest we've ever left them - and I'm a bit worried. I know if and when something takes him from us - that we loved him as hard as we could and gave him a great life.

I hope all the wonderful memories of your Cooper bring you comfort!!!!

Bhughey, there are many, many folks who have suffered as you and your husband are suffering now. I love the picture of Cooper smiling - he was a beautiful boy!

I will never forget my big, strong hubby sobbing when we lost our furry friend " dogs don't disappoint you". It's been over a year for us and it does get easier but we will always miss him. I have so much admiration for people who are able to bring another dog into their lives after a loss like this....just the prospect of losing another is enough of a deterrent for us, the pain is still so close to the surface but hey - never say never.

Dogs are such wonderful companions and expect so little in return.

My deepest condolences

Be sure to read "A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron. It will help you in many ways.

Heartwarming, insightful, and often laugh-out-loud funny, A Dog's Purpose is not only the emotional and hilarious story of a dog's many lives, but also a dog's-eye commentary on human relationships and the unbreakable bonds between man and man's best friend. This moving and beautifully crafted story teaches us that love never dies, that our true friends are always with us, and that every creature on earth is born with a purpose. **

Edited by wbrumel

I am sorry to hear of the passing of your dog. Our Iguana (Adult male, 6 foot) passed away a few weeks ago while we were on our cruise. We knew when we left he was very sick and we would not see him alive again and said our goodbyes. He didn't seem to be in any pain, was mostly sleeping, so we decided to leave him in his cage. We felt guilty leaving him with my step daughter. We will see him again at his burial but now have to wait until the spring.

I don't usually share these stories as most people don't get the reptiles. We have a tortoise who is approx. 30 years old and they do become part of your family.

My sympathies.

Edited by Jade13

behughey, I'm sorry for your loss.

A few years ago we had to let our friend go, and while the pain has faded, the great memories of our time together are still with us. I hope in time the same will be true for you.

For whatever good it might do, I'd like to share the following.

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be I grow frail and weak

And pain prevents my peaceful sleep.

Then you must do what must be done

When this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand.

Selfishness might stay your hand.

But on this day, more than the rest.

Your love and friendship take the test.

We've had so many happy years

That what's to come hold no fears.

You'd not want me to suffer.

So, When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend.

Only stay with me until the end.

Hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time, you too will see

It is a kindness that you do for me.

Although my tail its last has waved.

From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Do not grieve it should be you

Who must decide this thing to do.

We've been so close, we two, these years...

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Anonymous

Just wanted to send you a quick note to tell you how sad I am for your loss.

Anyone who views their furbaby as a part of their family knows exactly what your going through. We lost our beloved Autumn three years ago, and I still cry for her.

The love of a dog is an unconditional love.

I am estranged from my parents, a sister and brother... when I lost my dog, I didn't think I could go on.

I miss her more then I ever missed my "family".

Its amazing the attachment we have to our sweet little "pets".

They look to you for everything, and in turn, we end up looking to them as well.

Be strong, and know that the hurt will subside somewhat as the days/weeks/months go by.

Soon the sorrow filled thoughts will change to fond memories.

It just takes time.

HUGS to you both

Chass

So sorry for your loss. Pets become big parts of our lives and those of us who have been there fully understand what you are going through. A friend shared this with us when our Shadow crossed the Rainbow Bridge a few years ago.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."

--Unknown

We will always miss Shadow, and Misty (who left earlier) as they were "one of us".

Take the time you need to grieve the loss. Talk about the good times you had. Cry together because it celebrates what you have shared.

It will hurt as you establish a new routine. You will be reminded of what you have lost. Do not fight the feelings, lets them out, acknowledge them and be comforted in the joy you had with Cooper.

Eventually, and your hearts will tell you when, you will be able to move on. In the mean time we are here for you.

Your words are so comforting. Thank you.

I am so sorry.

A Dog Lovers Poem

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.

I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear.

"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea.

You were thinking of the many times your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, your arms were getting sore.

I longed to take your parcels, I wished I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today you tend it with such care

I want to reassure you I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house as you fumbled for your key,

I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "It's me."

You looked so very tired and then you sank into a chair,

I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday

And say with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew

that in that stillness of that evening I was very close to you.

The day is over...I smile and watch you yawning

And say, "Goodnight, sweet dreams, God bless,

I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide

I'll rush to greet you and we'll stand together side-by-side.

I have so many things to show you, there's much for you to see.

Be patient, live your journey out

Then come home and be with me.

----- Anonymous

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. Cooper was a beautiful boy, and know that his years with you were filled with love and joy.

As a new pet mom, I resisted for years for a variety of reasons. We adopted our girl, a shiba/shepherd mix, in April 2012. We thought she was only about 2 but the vet says she was closer to 4 when she came to us. She was with me and my boys through the long, painful divorce from their father, and I believe their love for her is what helps anchors them to our home.

She sleeps next to me each night and her unconditional love and joy when she sees us is something to behold. I now know what all other pet parents have been saying all these years, and your story just reinforces those feelings. I know that we will not have as long a time together as some, but we will enjoy all the time we have with her.

May Cooper's name be for a blessing.