Possibly cancelling cruise - sick dog :(

bhughey

Just wanted to say that I am very sorry for the loss of your furbaby. I work in animal rescue and nothing pleases me more than to see an animal in a good home who is loved. That is apparently the kind of home Cooper had. Thank you for taking care of him. Although it will never be the same without him and your grief will always be there, it will get 'easier' to think of him without the tears - though I have to say that I still have them years later... I don't think the grief ever fully subsides - we never stop missing them....we just come to the resignation that we will continue without them....and hope that one day we will see them again.

I just saw this post today and I am so sorry to hear of your loss. We went through something similar with our 8 year old Golden. The vet tried medication for a week but when there was no improvement, xrays showed cancer. The vet was able to give us medication that kept Jake comfortable, but we were informed surgery was of no use. We were happy to have had the last few days with him.

It is so hard to loose a member of the family - and that's what our dogs are to us. They are our children. I work from home and right now I am looking into the spare bedroom and my 9 year old golden is laying on the bed taking his afternoon nap.

Time does make the hurt a little better, but they never loose their place in our hearts.

I have to add my condolences to this thread. I am so sorry for your loss. Only people who have had a beloved pet and lost one can understand how it feels. They give you so much and ask for so little in return. I hope the great memories you have of Cooper will help you in your grieving process.

Popped in on cruise critic for the first time in a while and saw this thread on the first page... I know I said I would report back... I just haven't had the courage or strength. It is with the heaviest heart that I report the passing of our sweet boy. It's simply too long (and too painful) of a story to go into all the details of how things transpired just before our cruise - but I do want to say that both my husband and I are finding peace and healing a teeny bit each day.

Our Cooper had the spirit of something not of this earth... I swear, I could look into his eyes and see his soul... and he could see mine. He was a dear friend, a snuggle-bug, a listener, a comedian (he had no idea how funny he was!) and a true gentleman. He left an indelible paw-print on our hearts and in our memories that will keep us connected until we meet again... and we will...

Thank you for thinking of us... it really means so much.

Oh, I am so very sorry to hear this. Your Cooper was such a lovely boy. I know you miss him terribly. But he knew that. I'm not sure if you were able to cruise or not, but if he passed before your cruise, I feel like it was his gift to you. He didn't want you to fret while you were gone. And if you missed your cruise because he was too sick to leave, I know he appreciated your love for him.

I hesitated for a long time to get any more dogs after we lost our previous ones (Golden Retriever, mother and son). We had Shauna for 12 years and Moose (her son) for 15 years. I loved those dogs so much. About 15 years passed before I was able to bring another dog into our family. We now have two! They are adorable Coton de Tulears and they are the loves our our lives. Of course, our human boys think we are a bit crazy, but we love these dogs so much, I can't bear to think of the day we'll lose them. They are still very young (Tiki is 3 1/2 and Coco is 1), but we had to open our hearts and prepare to be saddened when we lose them...it's the price you pay for the love and devotion they give you for the time they are on this earth.

I will be thinking of you during this difficult time. Your Cooper is a beautiful boy and you are honoring his life by your love for him. Find comfort in the years you had with him and know that some day you will be reunited.