Photographing night stars from a cruise ship

I was on the solstice and if you go as far midship on deck 15 (away from the Sunset bar) or all the way to the front on deck 15 or 16 the lights shouldn't affect the photography. I have a simple point and shoot Canon and some photos (Venus, I think) came out quite well. I suggest a really good camera with a very slow shutter speed will work better (or one with a really great flash).:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Next month i will be on Solstice going from Sydney to Auckland. My night sky maps show this part of the ocean to be very dark. Will cruise ship lights be too bright to really see the stars?

The night sky, if no cloud cover , is stunning from a cruise ship at sea. However finding somewhere to photograph it may not be easy as anywhere that passengers have "allowed access" to will be well lit for safety reasons.

Thanks everyone. I will ha e to check to see if there ia a full moon, as i am hoping to capture to stars. I will have a tripod and Nikon D7000 DSLR. With dingers crossed.

Full moon for Dec is the 17th.

To bad your not sailing in April 2014, there's a lunar eclipse on the 15th. I'll be in the Caribbean to see and hopefully photograph it.

Have a great trip.

Don