Box Wine?

Happy2Crews

For those of you that snub boxed wine, it is now time to read and educate yourself. Fine wine does now come in a box. ;)

I agree & many times house wine by the glass is boxed wine which maintains it's quality longer due to how it's packaged.

I've even read about Trader Joe's "$2 Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw but now $2.50-$3.00) winning wine tastings done by 'experts'. ;)

For those of you that snub boxed wine, it is now time to read and educate yourself. Fine wine does now come in a box. ;)

I would never snub boxed or bagged wine and have had plenty.

But Fine wine does not come in a box, good drinking wine is packaged in the box.

Of course the term fine needs to be defined.

Edited by wineforhealth

No issues here with taking on our very enjoyable boxed wine in our luggage. On our particular Princess cruise there was no evidence that security/admin even had the apparatus in place to levy a corkage fee for anyone bringing on individual bottles at cruise ports of call.

if you do it legally they will still charge you $15 per 750 mls according to the box size

I thought that also until someone pointed out that 2) 750ml per couple are not charged a fee. Thus a 3L box of wine would be subject to $30 fee for the equivalent of 2) additional 750ml bottles of wine.

Where are people getting the idea that wine must be in a carry-on and not in your checked luggage? The policy is very clear:

"As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded."

It doesn't say anything about how the wine is transported on board only that it will be subject to a corkage fee.

I only have my "free" bottle in my carry-on and all of the additional bottles I bring on board are in my checked luggage.

Where are people getting the idea that wine must be in a carry-on and not in your checked luggage? The policy is very clear:

"As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded."

It doesn't say anything about how the wine is transported on board only that it will be subject to a corkage fee.

I only have my "free" bottle in my carry-on and all of the additional bottles I bring on board are in my checked luggage.

I don't think I have ever carried wine on board, I always put a case in a wine shipper and just put it in with the luggage

Always is the first piece to show up in the room.

here's the passenger contract. They have been very clear about it being in your carry on. There are tables set up for extra bottles to collect corkage fees. There are other posts that indicated that their checked bag booze was disposed of. It's spotty and not done everywhere, but...

Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage will be scanned for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein. Your luggage will undergo a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You will be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

You f

here's the passenger contract. They have been very clear about it being in your carry on. There are tables set up for extra bottles to collect corkage fees. There are other posts that indicated that their checked bag booze was disposed of. It's spotty and not done everywhere, but...

Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage will be scanned for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein. Your luggage will undergo a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You will be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

You f

LOL....

Both are wine policies published on the Princess website.

From personal experience, regardless of port, I always have wine in my checked luggage and have never had it destroyed. Cork fees have sometimes been added and sometimes not.

LOL....

From personal experience, regardless of port, I always have wine in my checked luggage and have never had it destroyed. Cork fees have sometimes been added and sometimes not.

This summer Princess took our checked bags from the airport directly to the ship. We hadn't paid for it but with our Princess tags on them they did it. Thus both bags had our no fee bottles of wine in them. One went to our cabin & the other to the naughty room & I had to open it to show it was wine & not booze.

The Black Box Wines are very good and a lot easier to transport if you are flying.

There were 3 of us embarking in Seattle and I was fully prepared to pay the 1 bottle extra corkage and put it in my carryon.

Nothing was said, couldn't tell if they knew it was in there or not.

Well, I'm sure they are not cross referencing what we pack in our carry ons, and what we pack in our 'checked' luggage. So, if you pack your permitted allowance of wine in your 'checked' luggage, and also bring the same amount in your carry on, how would they know you have twice the allowed amount of wine? I'm not suggesting anyone do this, I'm just asking.

I have always believed the wine you bring on board is to be in your carry on bags, and therefore anything in your checked bag is subject to 'search and seizure"!

LOL....

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, boxed wine gets a bad rap! I think I will "smuggle" a box of Bota in my checked luggage since we are flying in the day we leave this next cruise in March.

I evidently am not a wine connoisseur as many profess to be and if I like it, that's all that matters.

I will purchase a bottle or two when we get to port and pay the corkage fee if necessary. I bet I like my boxed wine better though!

Anyone have any experiences taking box wine onboard instead of bottles? Can they or do they charge a corkage fee for box wine? Thanks.

My wife boarded the Ruby Princess a couple weeks ago with a Black Box in her checked luggage. When the bag was delivered, there was a note from Princess saying the box counted as 4 bottles and exceeded the allowable limit and that she would be contacted by a crewmember. The wine was not taken from the bag. No one ever contacted her and she was not charged a corkage fee. She wasn't attempting to "smuggle" the wine on board and would have gladly paid the corkage fee.

My wife boarded the Ruby Princess a couple weeks ago with a Black Box in her checked luggage. When the bag was delivered, there was a note from Princess saying the box counted as 4 bottles and exceeded the allowable limit and that she would be contacted by a crewmember. The wine was not taken from the bag. No one ever contacted her and she was not charged a corkage fee. She wasn't attempting to "smuggle" the wine on board and would have gladly paid the corkage fee.

:)I am just glad to here they are allowing the boxed wines and I will be glad to pay the equivalent corkage fee.

Please don't presume that we are all "smuggling". There were 4 of us in my party and therefore the box of wine between us was within the rules of the Princess wine policy - I was simply responding to the OP's question about practicality.

Personally I find the wine on board to be over priced for the quality and much prefer my boxed New Zealand or Australian wine. It is also much more convenient for transporting and drinking on my balcony

As with most things it is a matter of personal preference and opinion.

Agreed. Even the lesser quality wines on board, are overpriced. But, that is to be expected. Some of the box wines, such as Black Box are quite good, given the price.

I am choosing Bota over Black Box because there are 3 liters in the Bota box rather than 4 liters in Black Box and I need to put it in my checked in luggage at the airport. I like both.

FYI. Bota (3 liters) weighs approximately 6.1 lbs. Just weighed it this morning :D.

We had no problem in FLL two weeks ago. Friends even carried on a bag of six bottles without them even saying a word, but that can change at any time.

Hello Fairport. I noticed you are from Upstate NY. We used to live on Selborne Chase off of Rt 31 (hickory ridge neighborhood) in Fairport.

We'll be in London a couple days before embarking at Dover. Could you recommend a good brand of box wine available in the UK? I am also a fan of black box, but have found others I enjoy too. I'm not a connoisseur of fine wines, but if I find one I like, I prefer to have it conveniently packaged in boxes!;):) PS I prefer Sav Blanc or Chardonnay, but any white wine is fine

Hi

Apologies for the late reply - I have only just seen your question. All the supermarkets in the UK (Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury's etc) have their own brand boxed wine which is variable in quality but very reasonably priced. The chardonnay is usually the best and of decent quality so you may want to gamble!

Hardy's and Banrock Station are probably the two most readily available Australian boxed wines that you can find in any of the supermarkets in the UK and are very similar. The Hardy's is marginally nicer in my opinion, but of course it's all very subjective. They are generally very popular though. They will cost you around £19 for 3l but sometimes have special offers on. The Hardy's chardonnay is my favourite

Other brands are Kumala and Namaqua - they are South African and not as popular (or as nice in my opinion) as the Hardy's and Banrock station

You will find there is a lot less choice in boxed wine than by the bottle in the UK but the ones I've mentioned above are perfectly enjoyable for a glass or two on the balcony :D No doubt some would disagree but like you, I'm not a connoisseur - I also prefer the convenience

I hope you enjoy your trip across to this side of the pond :)

Some of the Black Box wines have scored well against other, much more expensive, wines in blind tastings. And the trend is continuing to grow with more and more decent wines put in boxes. The advantage to wine lovers is that you can drink wine from a box over a period of days with little to no degradation in the quality. The plastic bags, that actually house the wine, do not allow any oxygen to get into the wine (as opposed to an open bottle).

Hank

Hi

Apologies for the late reply - I have only just seen your question. All the supermarkets in the UK (Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury's etc) have their own brand boxed wine which is variable in quality but very reasonably priced. The chardonnay is usually the best and of decent quality so you may want to gamble!

Hardy's and Banrock Station are probably the two most readily available Australian boxed wines that you can find in any of the supermarkets in the UK and are very similar. The Hardy's is marginally nicer in my opinion, but of course it's all very subjective. They are generally very popular though. They will cost you around £19 for 3l but sometimes have special offers on. The Hardy's chardonnay is my favourite

Other brands are Kumala and Namaqua - they are South African and not as popular (or as nice in my opinion) as the Hardy's and Banrock station

You will find there is a lot less choice in boxed wine than by the bottle in the UK but the ones I've mentioned above are perfectly enjoyable for a glass or two on the balcony :D No doubt some would disagree but like you, I'm not a connoisseur - I also prefer the convenience

I hope you enjoy your trip across to this side of the pond :)

Thanks for the feedback! We also have Hardys and Banrock. You know what that means? RESEARCH!!! :D I'll let you know the results of my study! ;)

Just wondering if you leave it in the box or take the bladder out of box and then pack it so it is less bulky. I am ready to pay the fee if need be, but wonder which is best.

Candi

That is a great question. When we travel with a box (always a Black Box product) we pack the entire box because the box is pretty sturdy and is an additional barrier and helps protect the wine bag. We usually do not take the bag out of the box until it is pretty depleted. DW always thinks its a bit gross when the bags our out of the box because the white wines look a little like a bag or urine and the red wines look like blood.

Hank