Breakaway 45 days out ... cannot book entertainment?

nycgirl12345

I'm not new to cruising but this whole concept of 'booking entertainment' is new to me. Is this a new thing on all cruises? Or something unique to mega ships? We will be on the Breakaway in May '14, our first experience with a really big ship. Do we have to make reservations to see a show? If so, that's already setting up negative vibes.

Not familiar with Breakaway, but we did make reservations ahead of time on Oasis. It was stressful and I thought it was a pain to figure out what to do and what day we might want to do it.

However, once it was done and once we were onboard I was glad we did it. It made the cruise stressfree, knowing you could just walk into the events and have a (good) seat.

You don't have to, however.:)

Do not stress over the reservations. I made all arrangements in advance and when we got to our cabin we had slips of paper sayings 2 out of the three shows were rescheduled to new day and times. I had to call and reschedule to the times that worked with us not the days and time they changed it to. There was no problem doing it on the ship plenty of availability onboard.

I was curious if anyone else had this happen to them as well. All worked out well and we did enjoy the shows.

Have a great cruise.

I'm not new to cruising but this whole concept of 'booking entertainment' is new to me. Is this a new thing on all cruises? Or something unique to mega ships? We will be on the Breakaway in May '14, our first experience with a really big ship. Do we have to make reservations to see a show? If so, that's already setting up negative vibes.

you don't have to book every evenings entertainment however there are a couple of shows on board in the main theatre from broadway and they have sufficient seats for every cabin to go once in the trip - so if you want to select which day to go, this is why they book

It is something the Epic started and now some RCCL ships have started doing

Breakaway has rock of ages and burn the floor

Epic has legends from las vegas and the blue man group

Do not stress over the reservations. I made all arrangements in advance and when we got to our cabin we had slips of paper sayings 2 out of the three shows were rescheduled to new day and times. I had to call and reschedule to the times that worked with us not the days and time they changed it to. There was no problem doing it on the ship plenty of availability onboard.

I was curious if anyone else had this happen to them as well. All worked out well and we did enjoy the shows.

Have a great cruise.

I plan on booking mine in advance so that I am assured of at least seeing them. Once aboard, I may try to change the reservations to what would better fit my plans based on what else is happening each day.

I wonder why they rescheduled the shows.....could it have been based on advance bookings, to better meet supply and demand as far as favored performances?

I'm booked on the Epic and this is my first time on a ship with shows with reservations. I understand how to make the reservations, but how does that work at show time? Do you have to go and pick up a physical ticket somewhere or do they scan your card when you go in? Has anyone had success with going to a show without a reservation and getting in?

There are no charges for any of the shows on the Breakaway, except the Second City Dysfunktional Lunch, which I'm assuming you are paying because of the food. Cirque Jungle Dreams is also a charge. Both need reservations.

The Second City lunch sold out a couple weeks prior to our cruise. Once on board I looked for it under Entertainment, as we were going to book it, but never found it available. I assume it sold out in advance. I'm rather glad i didn't book it, it was a beautiful day to lounge on our balcony and we ended up just ordering room service. I also heard it was not that funny, as was the Second City shows we booked for free one evening.

It's best, if you are not doing advanced reservations to the FREE shows (Burn The Floor, Rock Of Ages etc.) to book this as soon as you get on the ship, in your cabin, via the Entertainment section of your TV listing. I noticed that towards the end of the cruise alot of the shows were fully booked. I'm guessing people also book these in advance towards the end of the cruise, and cancel and rearrange their schedule once on board.

If you don't cancel 24 hours before, you will be listed as seeing that show and won't be able to book it again, nor get your money back if you reschedule (that's why I noticed a lot of shows sold out towards the end of the cruise).

Only the Dysfunktional Luncheon and the Cirque Jungle Fantasy Dinner need to be paid in advance, just like any specialty dining.

Edited by ibcnusoon

I'm booked on the Epic and this is my first time on a ship with shows with reservations. I understand how to make the reservations, but how does that work at show time? Do you have to go and pick up a physical ticket somewhere or do they scan your card when you go in? Has anyone had success with going to a show without a reservation and getting in?

No tickets. They just scan your card on the Epic.

You can take your chances on going to shows like Blue Man Group without a reservation. I believe they start letting people in about 15 minutes before the show, first come, first serve. Now having said that I have sailed the Epic three times, some shows were full, some not so you just have to cross your fingers if you don't have a reservation.

No tickets. They just scan your card on the Epic.

You can take your chances on going to shows like Blue Man Group without a reservation. I believe they start letting people in about 15 minutes before the show, first come, first serve. Now having said that I have sailed the Epic three times, some shows were full, some not so you just have to cross your fingers if you don't have a reservation.

We saw all the shows on the Breakaway, the only show I can say that did not have any seats left was Rock Of Ages.

I was on the Breakaway in Aug and Oct,,, Rock of Ages is great (it is rated PG /PG-13). In Aug i dont recall a message about the "Blue" language, in Oct it was there.

Burn the floor was ok, saw it the 1st time. The 2nd city lunch show was funny, as was "Dream". We saw the Cirque on the Epic, I liked it on the better, but the breakaway Cirque is worth the take.

For NCL 1st timers,,, don't miss the crews show and Fountains.