Should we bother locking our luggage?

Kristinemomof3

Another fan of zip ties. I have used them for U.S. and international travel, as well as cruises for years. They are inexpensive, and easy to carry a pack for the return trip.

They may not be high security, but (in my opinion) neither are small padlocks or TSA locks - but can detect if a bag has been opened. Only remember once having one cut off, and it was re-sealed with another tie and a note inside from TSA.

I carry a small knife or clippers in an outside zippered pocket to cut them off. Or easy to ask a steward or bellman to cut them.

Sent from my iPhone 5C using Forums mobile app.

It is all a moot issue since a ball point pin will open any zippered suitcase. I do not lock but keep the valuables with me in my carryon which is never out of my sight. They can have anything in the checked baggage as I also have a photo of everything in it with the camera around my neck just in case. Locks on luggage these days are not an issue as all can be defeated in a few seconds behind closed doors or rooms, go google lock picking!

We'd have to buy locks, is it worth it? We'll be flying from Chicago to Miami.

Worth it - probably not as someone can just steal your luggage. However, 2 locks w a total cost of $15 are 0.5% of the cost of a $3000 cruise. Is the meaningless feeling of safety worth 0.5% of your cruise cost?

By the way, a ball point pen (see previous post) may not open a metal zipper but a good knife will open almost anything. When you get your luggage and find that the zipper has been forced or the luggage has been slashed open, what are you going to do about it?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Worth it - probably not as someone can just steal your luggage. However, 2 locks w a total cost of $15 are 0.5% of the cost of a $3000 cruise. Is the meaningless feeling of safety worth 0.5% of your cruise cost?

By the way, a ball point pen (see previous post) may not open a metal zipper but a good knife will open almost anything. When you get your luggage and find that the zipper has been forced or the luggage has been slashed open, what are you going to do about it?

DON

Locks just keep the honest people out. Others don't care and always have a way. :cool:

I would recommend it. Your luggage gets moved around a lot at the airport and in portage onto the cruise ship and to your cabin. Even if you have no worries about theft, you could lose things out of the suitcase if it pops open. Locks are very inexpensive. Just be sure you get a TSA approved one so that airport security can access your contents if necessary without destroying your lock.

DON

Dust for fingerprints.

We never lock our luggage. And we have really expensive clothes and shoes. We just don't worry about it. If someone is so determined to steal a pair of my size 6 Prada shoes or my hubby's canali suits, they must be desperate.

As an FYI, hubby flies about 80+ flight segments a year for many years now, not once has the luggage been tampered with. One tip, don't buy really expensive luggage. We just use travelpro crew 8 and 9, so it blends in. Anything too expensive will make your bag a target.

I agree that if a person is determined to break into a suitcase, then there is not a lock under the sun that will stop this.

I have one question though - if your case is not locked, does it invalidate any travel insurance that may have covered losses and thefts?

There was also a thing in the daily mail online about contortionists squashing into suitcases so they could get "backstage" at airports and help themselves to stuff.... wow!! thats one type of determined thief!!

I think it's a personal choice, lock them if you want.

We lock ours so the zipper pulls don't unzip in transit. Zip ties would work, but the luggage locks we use came with the luggage, so why not use them? I don't for an instant think it thieves will be deterred by a lock, but there is always the possibility they will go to the next bag and bypass the locked one. I also don't think for an instant that thieves purposely looked for locked luggage with the thought there is more expensive goods in the locked pieces. I think it is opportunity alone, I don't think they take the time to think it through.

Then, there's the issue that a thief will just walk off with the whole bag, lock or no lock will not make a bit of difference. But I also don't think thieves are highly intelligent people who would know the difference between an expensive piece of luggage and a cheaply made one. I think they look at them as rectangular zippered cases in varying colors. I also think that most bags that are missing are the fault of airline mishandling…along with an unidentifiable bag. Always put identification inside the case as well as 2 tags outside. You don't need your address sticking out there, a business card or phone numbers will be sufficient, or your travel agents business card.

I work part time in a luggage store, luggage locks are our number one item sold. Only once in 6 years have I heard anyone tell us their luggage was stolen, from a hotel in New York City, not an airport or a cruise port. I do hear occasional stories about briefcases stolen, typically from the seat of a rental car, the case left out in the open. I've never had anyone tell me their luggage was broken into and items stolen. I have had a few people tell me the TSA cut their locks instead of using the key, but they always leave a note the luggage was searched.

Finally, I don't put expensive electronics, makeup, jewelry, meds into my checked bag. But I still consider what clothing and shoes I have packed to be valuable, some of my shoes cost more than my camera.