Nieuw Amsterdam Vibration

Oville

When the Zuiderdam came out, she had some severe cavitation problems aft at certain speeds. I remember having breakfast at a stern window table in the dining room and watched as dishes jiggled their way across the table. Such vibrations were reported on CC. When I entered the dining room and asked the Maitre d' to be seated in that area, he tried to discourage me from being seated there. But, I wanted to confirm for myself what others had reported on Cruise Critic. To counter this, an underwater bubble technology system was installed on the ship(s) that solved the problem. I do not know the technical details of how this solved the issue.

I do not think that the vibration issues on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Eurodam in sections of the Tamarind Restaurant are due to the same problem. I have dined at stern tables in the dining room on both ships and have felt nothing unusual whatsoever. But, in sections of the Tamarind, some vibration is noted, but, IMO, not a problem.

Ww returned last Sunday from our first Holland America cruise. For the most part our cruse was fabulous. The biggest disappoint was the horrible vibration we felt in our aft facing cabin. Is this problematic on all HAL ships or just a flunk on Nieuw Amsterdam? Is there any place on this ship anyone would recommend to stay where you don't have to worry about the fillings in your teeth being loosened when you sit/sleep in your cabin?

We thought the food was wonderful in both the MDR and specialty restaurant, though Le Cirque was a rip off. We basically had the same meal a few days earlier when it was the Pinnacle Grill.

One more question, what is with the smoking policy? Although we were not bothered by smoke on our cruise, it was a bit off putting to see someone's cigar butt on our veranda from the previous cruise. Does anyone think HAL will change their very liberal smoking policy? Seems like they are behind the times.

Again we had a great time and are looking at booking another cruise on NA, just wish the smoking issue would go away.

I will be on the N.A. next week and I will see if I notice the vibration in the aft Dining Room.

What can be done to remedy this, after the ship is built? Thanks. A tutorial about ship building would probably be very interesting and to also learn what passenger comfort conditions have been addressed with more modern technology over time since cruising went mainstream.

Ahhh, that is a good question. We have been told there are no easy fixes, but a redesign of the propeller can often mitigate some or all of the problem. So this is not something done as a matter of course....but might be considered if the problem is severe and there is an upcoming scheduled drydock. And if you are curious how we learned about some of this useless stuff....we happened to meet a marine architect (who designed multiple cruise ships) while on a cruise. He was a great tablemate and also educated the table on some of these design issues.

Hank

Ahhh, that is a good question. We have been told there are no easy fixes, but a redesign of the propeller can often mitigate some or all of the problem. So this is not something done as a matter of course....but might be considered if the problem is severe and there is an upcoming scheduled drydock. And if you are curious how we learned about some of this useless stuff....we happened to meet a marine architect (who designed multiple cruise ships) while on a cruise. He was a great tablemate and also educated the table on some of these design issues.

Hank

I remain in awe that planes can fly and ships can float when in fact they are huge welded and hollow metal containers which have to be 100% self-contained when in full operation, while have thousands of moving parts that must remain essentially synchronized under some pretty aggressive forces of nature.

• 1 year later...

We had cabin 6166, next to wrap around 6164. For us older folks the vibration was intolerable and after much effort were able to move to a regular balcony cabin about half way towards midship on deck 5. The couple in 6164 could put up with it but we couldn't. This was the TA in April 2015. The vibration has nothing to do with props, etc., as it is present at the docks. How HA gets away with using these cabins without some reserve cabins for those who can't take the constant bounce is beyond us. We were only offered the cabin $ difference as a credit in the next year booking of a future cruise. The vibration is real and if you are the least bit concerned get a cabin at least midship.

We had cabin 6166, next to wrap around 6164. For us older folks the vibration was intolerable and after much effort were able to move to a regular balcony cabin about half way towards midship on deck 5. The couple in 6164 could put up with it but we couldn't. This was the TA in April 2015. The vibration has nothing to do with props, etc., as it is present at the docks. How HA gets away with using these cabins without some reserve cabins for those who can't take the constant bounce is beyond us. We were only offered the cabin $ difference as a credit in the next year booking of a future cruise. The vibration is real and if you are the least bit concerned get a cabin at least midship.

That's interesting. My father in law was right there and didn't notice anything. Of course, he's only 77, so I guess it depends on what the definition of "older folks" is. Sorry to hear that the movement bothered you.

That's interesting. My father in law was right there and didn't notice anything. Of course, he's only 77, so I guess it depends on what the definition of "older folks" is. Sorry to hear that the movement bothered you.

Perhaps the definition is responding to a thread that's a 1 1/2 years old.

We were in a aft wraparound cabin on the Rotterdam Deck on the NA in 2013, and the vibration was severe. We brought this up the first night at the Suite Welcoming Party and the HD said it would be fixed at the next dry-dock. At the Tamarind, we had to hold our glasses the entire meal on both nights we had dinner. Sleeping was a problem for us most nights.

Edited by kjw869

DW likes some vibrations :). Ok, this is all true. A few years ago we were on the maiden voyage of the Enchantment of the Seas and we quickly found ourselves in their Schooner Bar which was located along one side of Deck 6. Our couch seat had a very pronounced vibration (probably caused by a mechanical room located nearby) which made our entire group laugh. The vibration was compared to what one would expect from a vibrating bed in some hotels (where you often pay for the treat). As the cruise continued over the next few days DW mentioned that she notice that any woman sitting in that particular area had a smile on her face. So I guess all vibrations on ships are not bad :)

As an afterthought, we have not been back on that ship since she was stretched by RCI. We now wonder if that seat still has the same vibration of if the later modifications eliminated the problem (or treat).

Hank

LOL-loved this story:D

The thread may be 1 1/2 years old, but the problem still exists.;)

We've been on the NA twice. First time there was a slight vibration we felt in the Tamarind. The following year, we again were in an aft cabin and the vibration was severe. It wasn't like the "Magic Fingers" we experienced in the hotel rooms in the 60's!

Edited by kjw869

I've been on the NA 3 times in the last 1.5 years. Yes, there is a vibration but I've never had to hold my glass on the table in the tamarind. I average about 5 meals there at least on a 2 week cruise. I guess I've been lucky. I wonder why we haven't heard more reports about it considering how bad it is.

Edited by cruz chic

I've been on the NA 3 times in the last 1.5 years. Yes, there is a vibration but I've never had to hold my glass on the table in the tamarind. I average about 5 meals there at least on a 2 week cruise. I guess I've been lucky. I wonder why we haven't heard more reports about it considering how bad it is.

There have been other posts about it. I remember reading about the vibration and holding onto glasses in a post before our first NA cruise. Our last cruise on the NA, the first night in the Tamarind wasn't as bad as the second night, when we asked the stewardess to remove our water glasses.

In a post on the recent thread below, the poster (Post #23) was told the problem would be taken care at dry-dock, the same thing we were told a few years earlier.

We didn't feel the vibration the three nights we ate at the Pinnacle Grille on that cruise.

As a note, below is a link to a YouTube video of the vibration on the Eurodam. This IS what we experienced the second night on the NA.

Video of vibration:

And a CC review where the lamps were shaking in the Tamarind: http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=36651093

Yes, you were lucky! ;)

Edited by kjw869

I looked at that video. Yes, it's shaking. I would say it was likely shaking that much at times that I've been there. Not sure how that would knock over a glass. Too bad that people are more interested in making videos then enjoying a lovely meal and sitting on a wonderful ship on an ocean. I would love to be in their place instead of the hell my life has become these last few months. Anyone that wants to switch places with me let me know.

Not sure. I replied to a post from about 30 minutes ago.

Thanks for being helpful, though.

I looked at that video. Yes, it's shaking. I would say it was likely shaking that much at times that I've been there. Not sure how that would knock over a glass. Too bad that people are more interested in making videos then enjoying a lovely meal and sitting on a wonderful ship on an ocean. I would love to be in their place instead of the hell my life has become these last few months. Anyone that wants to switch places with me let me know.

It didn't knock over a glass, I never said it did. The glasses just kept moving on the table.

It's not for me to judge if someone wants to make a video of their meal on the Eurodam. It certainly demonstrated what we experienced one night.

We made a pledge not to book the NA until the problem is fixed (if ever). We expect a much better experience in the Tamarind when we sail on the Koningsdam in Norway in July 2016.

I do hope your life turns around in the near future and hope the best for you. :)

I'm concerned about our booking and room location. Never been on NA. Booked in K1119 on Main deck, aft. Could move to J1034 or J1073. But they may be under something noisy?

Where is the Tamarind restaurant that folks have had the vibrations in? HAL deck plan shows a large white area in the aft of Main deck but no label. Is that Tamarind?

We'll be 12 nights in eastern Med so not going very far/very fast. I picked that room because it's supposed to have a couch in it. Maybe I should forego the couch and get somewhere else. Thanks for your help. I'll be out today but will reply tonight. m--

I'm concerned about our booking and room location. Never been on NA. Booked in K1119 on Main deck, aft. Could move to J1034 or J1073. But they may be under something noisy?

Where is the Tamarind restaurant that folks have had the vibrations in? HAL deck plan shows a large white area in the aft of Main deck but no label. Is that Tamarind?

We'll be 12 nights in eastern Med so not going very far/very fast. I picked that room because it's supposed to have a couch in it. Maybe I should forego the couch and get somewhere else. Thanks for your help. I'll be out today but will reply tonight. m--

The tamarind is on the observation deck. Will you feel vibrations? Who knows. I've been on the NA 3 times in the last 1.5 years. I've had rooms in the front, mid ship and the stern. I'm not a good sleeper and I never lost any sleep from vibration. I think some people are more bothered by it then others. There used to be complaints about the eurodam and the NA. I haven't seen any besides this one in a long time. There may have been threads while I was on holidays that I missed.

Edited by cruz chic

We were in K1116 in January on the NA. It was fabulous and we didn't feel any excessive movement or vibration. I also thought the location was excellent! Would book it again in a heartbeat!

We were in K1116 in January on the NA. It was fabulous and we didn't feel any excessive movement or vibration. I also thought the location was excellent! Would book it again in a heartbeat!

This is such good news to hear. We were out all day and discussed the pros and cons. There are good reasons to stay with what we have booked now. I'm so glad I asked about this and even more happy that you were here to share your experience. Many thanks, m--