Westerdam or Eurodam?

WolfpackFan

We are thinking seriously about doing a HAL cruise next November. We have been on a number of cruises but never on HAL (mainly Princess and NCL). The cruise we are looking at is the 7 night Eastern Caribbean and it looks like it is available on both the Westerdam and Eurodam. Any suggestions about which is the better ship would be greatly appreciated.

The Tamarind is a big plus for us too. Both the Edam and NAdam feel a bit more crowded to me than the Vistas, especially in the Lido and MDR.

We've only been each ship once and have better memories from the Wdam, partly because of the itinerary, but wouldn't hesitate to go back to either.

The Wdam PG had the worst service of any we've ever tried, so much so that we didn't go to any for a few cruises after that.

Edited by jtl513

I didn't feel any great differences between the two myself. I just got off Westerdam, and took Eurodam in 2011. Eurodam had a few design changes - I will agree that the Tamarind restaurant, and just the entire use of that deck space above ClubHAL with the Silk Den bar, which Westerdam has no equivalent of, was a little better...but otherwise, not a big difference at all for me. Very happy with both. I do have to say I prefer one thing on Westerdam too - that they retained the lovely seating areas just outside Crow's Nest, which on Eurodam are occupied by the Retreat, which is a pay option only section. I love those long wooden tables, big wood chairs and benches covered by the canopies on the Vista class ships. I wish the library was still down on the lower decks and the Crows Nest got that entire space with the cigar bar off to starboard, as in the original Vista designs...but Eurodam has that same design issue for me with the library taking up 1/3 of Crows Nest and the cigar bar missing - so nothing to differentiate the two in that regard either for me.

I didn't feel any great differences between the two myself. I just got off Westerdam, and took Eurodam in 2011. Eurodam had a few design changes - I will agree that the Tamarind restaurant, and just the entire use of that deck space above ClubHAL with the Silk Den bar, which Westerdam has no equivalent of, was a little better...but otherwise, not a big difference at all for me. Very happy with both. I do have to say I prefer one thing on Westerdam too - that they retained the lovely seating areas just outside Crow's Nest, which on Eurodam are occupied by the Retreat, which is a pay option only section. I love those long wooden tables, big wood chairs and benches covered by the canopies on the Vista class ships. I wish the library was still down on the lower decks and the Crows Nest got that entire space with the cigar bar off to starboard, as in the original Vista designs...but Eurodam has that same design issue for me with the library taking up 1/3 of Crows Nest and the cigar bar missing - so nothing to differentiate the two in that regard either for me.

Eurodam and Westerdam are our two favorite ships but would give a slight edge to Eurodam. Tamarind and Silk Den are great additions to HAL ships; however, we do miss that seating area outside the Crow's Nest on Westerdam.

Edited by adrift@sea

I do have to say I prefer one thing on Westerdam too - that they retained the lovely seating areas just outside Crow's Nest, which on Eurodam are occupied by the Retreat,

... we do miss that seating area outside the Crow's Nest on Westerdam.
On the Noordam that space has been filled with 25 new cabins and a Retreat on top, and I expect the other three Vistas to get the same modification in future dry-docks, so enjoy it while you can! :)

We have sailed on both ships.

Have you checked the times that you will be in the ports? Does one ship stay longer in ports than the other one?

If there is no difference in the time you spend in the ports, then I would go for the Eurodam. She has the Silk Den for pre-dinner cocktails or after dinner drinks. And of course the Tamarind Restaurant -- Pan Asian food. It is $15 per person for dinner and can be pre-booked on HAL's site, or by calling Ship's Service at 1-800-541-1576 or once you are on the ship. You need to have a credit card handy if you pre-book. The Tamarind also is open for lunch some days -- it is a set menu but you can choose a dessert. Lunch is free and can not be booked until you are on the ship.

Been on both in past year. Like Eurodam as it was a bit nicer and newer, has the Tamarind dining and a NICE movie theater (none on Westerdam).

Food was better on Westerdam I thought,

I would go on either one.

DaveOKC

When we were on the Westerdam - we found the MDR service excellent, the food was very good and they had some 'different' entertainment which was very good.

Now, that ship does not have the Tamarind (which we like) nor the Silk Den - but we felt it offered plenty and value service and good food over a couple of dinners in the Tamarind.

So, we lean towards the Westerdam, but that's just based on our experience on that ship.

I agree with KK - check how long you are in the ports and if the ports are identical

The Westerdam will be less crowded than the Eurodam but it's all relative. The Eurodam is newer so depending upon your taste, either can easily fulfill it for you.

We are thinking seriously about doing a HAL cruise next November. We have been on a number of cruises but never on HAL (mainly Princess and NCL). The cruise we are looking at is the 7 night Eastern Caribbean and it looks like it is available on both the Westerdam and Eurodam. Any suggestions about which is the better ship would be greatly appreciated.

Absolutely Eurodam with no doubts.

I would also say the Eurodam, however we have been on the Westerdam twice and its other sister ship the NA (which we will never sit foot on again with its constant thump, thump, thump in the aft and dining room) and enjoy both ships very much. Besides comments above with optional additional dining, the Eurodam has a little different feel to it with design features we both like.