White Pass Train

jsf

Yes, I just asked my husband - he OKed the extra money - he has always talked about taking the train from MN out west.... I am sure there will be no comparison:D

Hi Linda -

DH and I took Amtrak out to Seattle for our Alaskan Cruise in 2013. We left Minneapolis at 11:30 at night and since we decided NOT to do a sleeper - we were assigned to upstairs seating. Because Minneapolis is one of the "further down the line" stops - seating for a family will be very difficult. Until we got to Grand Forks, ND, we were seated several rows apart.

The trip is interesting but can be arduous if your children are active. Would suggest getting a sleeper - much easier than sleeping setting up for two nights.

If you do decide to travel that way - please post here and I can give you a few tips that might make it easier for you.

Barbara

________________________________Previous Cruises

Alaska - Westerdam - September, 2009 - 7 days

Alaska - Rotterdam - September 2010 - 7 days

Mexican Riviera - Oosterdam - April 2011 - 7 days

Alaska - Amsterdam - September 2012 - 14 days

Hi Linda -

DH and I took Amtrak out to Seattle for our Alaskan Cruise in 2013. We left Minneapolis at 11:30 at night and since we decided NOT to do a sleeper - we were assigned to upstairs seating. Because Minneapolis is one of the "further down the line" stops - seating for a family will be very difficult. Until we got to Grand Forks, ND, we were seated several rows apart.

The trip is interesting but can be arduous if your children are active. Would suggest getting a sleeper - much easier than sleeping setting up for two nights.

If you do decide to travel that way - please post here and I can give you a few tips that might make it easier for you.

Barbara

________________________________Previous Cruises

Alaska - Westerdam - September, 2009 - 7 days

Alaska - Rotterdam - September 2010 - 7 days

Mexican Riviera - Oosterdam - April 2011 - 7 days

Alaska - Amsterdam - September 2012 - 14 days

I am hoping his desire for train travel will be satisfied with the two shorter trips! No - we wouldn't be able to take the train west this time - we have to make a stop in California on our way to Anchorage. But thank you for the information - that is the trip he has always talked about - I never thought it would be good when the kids were young and active, and now that they are older he can't afford to take the extra time off work to travel that way!

I tried to read carefully and have done other searches and understand most of the White Pass info -- Thanks everyone for that!

BUT what I haven't found is: Does the train fill up? Does Chilkoot fill up? My greatest concern is the weather issue with pre-booking. How risky is it to wait until the day before to book with Chilkoot -- and can you even do that -- or what about if you just walk to the depot the day of and get tickets?

And further on the weather issue -- is a day ahead even enough? Has anyone booked it the day before, and then the weather changes drastically by the time you pull into Skagway, and now you're stuck?