White Pass Train

jsf

This is a milepost for the train from Skagway to Carcross. There will also be announcements regarding these areas as the train travels along.

http://www.wpyrmediakit.com/mediakit/milepostguide.html

Glaciers, thank you very much for the website. It is a wonderful resource. I have saved a copy of the Milepost Guide and will print it out for my trip. Thank you again, it is much appreciated.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Glaciers, thank you very much for the website. It is a wonderful resource. I have saved a copy of the Milepost Guide and will print it out for my trip. Thank you again, it is much appreciated.

You’re welcome. It is a nifty resource. I was outside on the platform at the end of the car taking photos so missed some of what was being announced so it helps.

These photos are fromm their photo contest that recently ended. Beautiful trip.

http://wpyr.com/explore/photossubmitted.html

When viewing the train's web site, the White Pass summit is $119' while HAL excursion lists it at $126.95. While this is not a huge amount of difference, for the 2 of us, $16 is lunch money! What do I need to book a tour? And just how far is it to walk to the depot yourself?

When viewing the train's web site, the White Pass summit is $119' while HAL excursion lists it at $126.95. While this is not a huge amount of difference, for the 2 of us, $16 is lunch money! What do I need to book a tour? And just how far is it to walk to the depot yourself?

The depot is about a 15 minute walk as I recall.

A couple of nice things about letting HAL book it:

1. You board right on the pier.

2. If the tour is cancelled you easily get your money back from HAL.

3. You earn "cruise day" points for HAL excursions. Assuming 2 people to a cabin at $126.95 each, you earn $253.90 in points. For every $300 in points you earn/spend on a HAL cruise you get an extra "cruise day" (for both people in the cabin). Check out HAL's website for details.

DaveOKC

So if I book myself and save $& by walking a coule of blocks, what do I need the tour for? Comentary? Does the regular tour point out features? Stop for photos on the bus back?

The train commentary is the same for all tours as it is done my the train crew (on our last trip we sat in the same car as the person doing the commentary).

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

So if I book myself and save $& by walking a coule of blocks, what do I need the tour for? Comentary? Does the regular tour point out features? Stop for photos on the bus back?

You mentioned in a previous post that you are looking at the Summit tour. There is no bus involved in this tour, just train up to the summit and back down. The tour is exactly the same for everyone on it, except for where you get on the train. Passengers from ships docked at the two Railroad docks will get on the train right at the dock. I'm not sure about passengers from ships at the other docks. If you buy tickets direct, you would walk to the depot.

There is a bigger difference in tours that involve a bus, due to varying bus/van sizes and thus larger/smaller group sizes.

One plus for booking with the railroad directly and getting on at the station - the car you are in may not be as crowded as those at the ship/pier. Do not know this for certain, but in our case the three of us had an entire car to ourselves (and the commentator). We booked through Chilkoot and boarded at the downtown station.

DaveOKC

I ended up booking with Chilkoot this weekend. It is, indeed for the summit train and bus excursion. Had a nice talk with the lady on the phone. Basically we are using them, not for the price, for it was pretty much the same as HAL, but for the small group sizes. She said since they have a small group to unload and load at each spot on the bus, they can stop more often, yet still have the same time frame.

I ended up booking with Chilkoot this weekend. It is, indeed for the summit train and bus excursion. Had a nice talk with the lady on the phone. Basically we are using them, not for the price, for it was pretty much the same as HAL, but for the small group sizes. She said since they have a small group to unload and load at each spot on the bus, they can stop more often, yet still have the same time frame.

Actually, there really aren't many/any "extra" stops on the short tour you have booked. Since you aren't going into the Yukon, the stops will be similar to the ship contracted buses.

Edited by Budget Queen

Will they pick you up at the ship and did you give a deposit or have to pay the total amount?

For those of you that recommend the Chilkoot Tour going to the White Pass Summit via the train and bus combo. Which is the best way to do it, train up and bus back or bus up and train back? Just wanting to know which way you all prefer.

Thanks.

Julie

It is about $80 extra for the train and bus combo from Chilkoot vs. bus alone going to the same places.....$80 each for 4 people - is the train that much better than the bus? The views are really spectacular?

We are already taking the train from Anchorage to Seward....

I am really inclined to say yes....but it appears we are really blowing the budget for tours this cruise...

For those of you that recommend the Chilkoot Tour going to the White Pass Summit via the train and bus combo. Which is the best way to do it, train up and bus back or bus up and train back? Just wanting to know which way you all prefer.

Thanks.

Julie

You might want to check what day your in port, the routes vary by day of week, you may not have a choice of which way to take train.

J.

Yes, we are due in port at 7 AM - train first is 7:30 AM - I am hoping we won't have a problem with that...

Bus first leaves at 8:30 AM

That's our timeline as well. We're doing the train first with the dogcart ride too. I think the ship is usually on time for this port since (at least on our itinerary) it has 2 days at sea prior.

That's our timeline as well. We're doing the train first with the dogcart ride too. I think the ship is usually on time for this port since (at least on our itinerary) it has 2 days at sea prior.

I spoke on the phone to Stacy from Chilkoot (I had a problem with the website when making my reservation). She said they never have a problem with meeting at 7:30 - the ships usually arrive at 5-6 AM and are ready to let people off at 7. It is only a few minutes from the ship to the meeting place.