21,000 people in port

kstetser

I'm reading that there will be 21,000+ cruise guests in port on 12/5. Can anyone confirm this (not sure where to look) and if it's true, will it be like Disney World on Christmas (i.e. so crowded it's not fun).

We were thinking about taking a taxi to Sapphire Beach. We just want to relax and enjoy a day at the beach.

Will this be possible or should we just stay on the ship?

Thanks!

Kathi

I'm reading that there will be 21,000+ cruise guests in port on 12/5. Can anyone confirm this (not sure where to look) and if it's true, will it be like Disney World on Christmas (i.e. so crowded it's not fun).

We were thinking about taking a taxi to Sapphire Beach. We just want to relax and enjoy a day at the beach.

Will this be possible or should we just stay on the ship?

Thanks!

Kathi

Here is a link to what ships are in St Thomas

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/US_Virgin_Islands/620-Saint_Thomas/December_2013

Thank you for the link. I had my days wrong. We are in port on 12/4 and that looks like the really busy day. The 5th, there is only one ship in port (wish it were ours).

We were thinking of getting up and off the ship as early as possible and taking a taxi to Sapphire Beach. Do you think if we get moving early enough we might beat the crowds and enjoy a peaceful morning? It sounds like Sapphire Beach does not generate the crowds that other beaches do.

Edited by kstetser

We stay at the Sapphire Resort and have been there with over 20k cruisers in port. On that day (or any day) I would recommend Sapphire over any other beach (except perhaps Smith's Bay if you want the quietest spot and bring a picnic from Gourmet Gallery at the dock).

There are 6 ships in port, 4 at Havensight and 2 at Crown. Yes, grab the first taxi you can, we see folks getting there earlier than others and enjoying the beach to themselves for a couple hours. You'll find several prime shaded spots along the beach.

Vinow dot com shows the ships in port for STT ans STJ as well.

Thank you blue water - do you recommend any particular location on the beach? We will rent chairs from the dive shop and get some drinks from them (do they have food also?). I'd like some shade if possible. We have a 9 year old daughter who loves to play in the water but none of us are snorkelers.

We are really excited to spend some time on Sapphire Beach - it looks really beautiful and laid back in the photos I've seen. Exactly what we are looking for.

Kathi

I think I will attempt to do a boat tour to avoid so many people being in port.

That's the best plan if you're not wanting to relax on a beach. New Horizons and Yacht Nightwind are both excellent and sail out of Sapphire Marina (most daysails are from the East End and primarily from the American Yacht Harbor in Red Hook or the Sapphire Marina).

Thank you blue water - do you recommend any particular location on the beach? We will rent chairs from the dive shop and get some drinks from them (do they have food also?). I'd like some shade if possible. We have a 9 year old daughter who loves to play in the water but none of us are snorkelers.

We are really excited to spend some time on Sapphire Beach - it looks really beautiful and laid back in the photos I've seen. Exactly what we are looking for.

Kathi

Hi Kathi! Yes as you walk out toward the shore you'll see a line of Seagrape trees and palms running along the shore to the right. I would grab any spot there, if you want a little more quiet go further to the right but it will be rockier there. The spot where the "keep off the coral" sign is in front of condo bldg A would be good for shade, and the sandy swimming area is there and to the left. Bldg A is next to the dive center.

The dive shop has all the rentals and also sells beer and rum punches a little cheaper than the Banana Cabana beach grill. But the BC has frozen drinks and a great mahi mahi sandwich. There is also a kady with a stand selling rum drinks that everyone likes.

You will see a girl taking orders on the beach for BC, andthere will be a guy with a colorful hat taking food and drink orders for the restaurant behind the marina. There's also a food truck at the entrance to Sapphire that has great food but you'd have to walk from there.

Yes we love Sapphire, if you walk the beach check out the condo bldgs while there, we've rented A209 and D211 and it's a great spot to spend a week. If you ever want to return and want the owner info let me know!

Edited by blue_water

We looked at condos at SH and just didn't care for the smallness of it all I guess. But SH is a good alternative if you like dead calm water and a smaller feel.

We toured the other STT beaches one day while staying at Sapphire, there was just 1 smaller ship in port and SH was pretty crowded (as were Coki and Magens of course). But you're sharing the beach with the condo folks and it is a much smaller bay whereas you can spread out at Sapphire. But all of the beaches are nice and everyone will find one their favorite just as we did.

Edited by blue_water

We just returned from St. Thomas. I think there were to be 7 ships in port on our day. The last three times we have arranged a day sail with Kathleen of High Pockets. Its a private sail, gets you to the other side of the island and off she takes you. I can't say enough good things!!