Venice hotel recommendations?

RobandJames

Hi

We are booked on the May 10th Jade Greek Isle trip next year and have 2 days in Venice prior to the cruise. Can anyone recommend any hotels to stay in, that aren't too expensive?

Many thanks

Rob

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hotels in the Venice area are very expensive. The more affordable hotels are on the mainland in Maestre but the trade off is that you'll have to take a bus across the causeway to get to Venice itself. Some of the B&Bs in Venice can be less expensive than than the Venice hotels, but not as affordable as the lodgings in Maestre. Most of the B&Bs do not have elevators, so if climbing stairs is a concern, the B&Bs would probably not be a good choice.

We opted to economize somewhere else and stayed in Ca' San Giorgio, a B&B in Venice itself. It was one of the best decisions we ever made, travel-wise. Every evening, after the crowds went back to the mainland, Venice became a different place...almost magical.

Hi

We are booked on the May 10th Jade Greek Isle trip next year and have 2 days in Venice prior to the cruise. Can anyone recommend any hotels to stay in, that aren't too expensive?

Your best bet is to ask (this thread might be moved there too by the moderators) from "Italy ports" board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

We wanted to have a hotel with easy access (using vaporettos with two pieces of luggage plus a backbag or purse each is PITA) so we were one night post-cruise in Best Western Hotel Olimpia right by Piazzale Roma, only one bridge away from the airport buses, taxis and people mover.

Edited by Demonyte

We wanted to have a hotel with easy access (using vaporettos with two pieces of luggage plus a backbag or purse each is PITA) so we were one night post-cruise in Best Western Hotel Olimpia right by Piazzale Roma, only one bridge away from the airport buses, taxis and people mover.

Double up on that hotel. :p We stayed there last month and it was simply perfect.

(and... yes, this thread will be moved. :cool: )

Edited by computerworks

A third up for BW- stayed there 3 yrs. ago, very easy to get to, breakfast was included and good.

Actually the Hotel Ala linked before my post is also a BW hotel - just using the chain's name is a poor identifier. ;)

We stayed here in August.

http://www.alsolehotels.com/

I had had an accident not long before our trip and even given that I wasn't fully recovered, I was easily able to mange the walk from Piazzalle Roma. There were lots of bars and restaurants within easy walking distance too!

Enjoy your stay in Venice and enjoy the beautiful Jade and the fabulous Greek Islands :)

Hi

Many thanks

Rob

Affordable 3 star hotels in Venice (in/near Piazzale Roma) that are easily accessible from the cruise terminal:

Hotel Santa Chiara (no bridges to cross)

Ca' Doge (no bridges to cross)

Best Western Hotel Olimpia (1 bridge)

Hotel Antiche Figure (1 bridge)

Great resource for cruise visitors to Venice:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/arriving_in_venice_by_ship.htm

Edited by dogs4fun

Hi

Many thanks

Rob

If you don't mind a 20 minute bus ride into town, we stayed here and it was great, not to mention $97/night:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g194812-d1948936-Reviews-Mercure_Venezia_Marghera_hotel-Marghera_Mestre_Veneto.html

Going to stay at Hotel al Ponte Mocinego next year for our third time. Love this place Easy walk from the San Stae vaporetta stop and no bridges to haul luggage which we managed easily on the vaporetta both from the airport and to the cruise ship. Price is reasonable for Venice its an easy walk to the Rialto bridge

Terry

Going to stay at Hotel al Ponte Mocinego next year for our third time. Love this place Easy walk from the San Stae vaporetta stop and no bridges to haul luggage which we managed easily on the vaporetta both from the airport and to the cruise ship. Price is reasonable for Venice its an easy walk to the Rialto bridge

Terry

I stayed at the Hotel al Ponte Mocinego for three nights in October. It is one of the top rated hotels in Venice on Trip Advisor at a very reasonable price. Access is great, close to the San Stae vaporetto stop with no bridges to cross and is also an Alilaguna stop direct from the airport. It is located in a peaceful neighborhood yet with easy access to all the popular attractions via walking or vaporetto.

I stayed at the Hotel al Ponte Mocinego for three nights in October. It is one of the top rated hotels in Venice on Trip Advisor at a very reasonable price. Access is great, close to the San Stae vaporetto stop with no bridges to cross and is also an Alilaguna stop direct from the airport. It is located in a peaceful neighborhood yet with easy access to all the popular attractions via walking or vaporetto.

Began our recent cruise with 3 nights in Venice at 3 star Violino da Oro Hotel, located on a small canal not far from Piazza San Marco. Loved strolling in that area at night. No bridges to cross if you take a water taxi, one if you use vaporetto. Staff helpful with making restaurant and concert reservations. Good breakfast in a room overlooking gondoliers preparing their gondolas for the day.

Terry

I agree with both Posts.

Great place to stay!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hotel ai do mori was inexpensive, clean and right off st. mark's square. We look the aguilina (sp?) to St. Marks, then to the ship the day we left (blue line I think, but don't quote me). we dragged our luggage thru the square and less than two block was the hotel. As long as you can manage your luggage for a little while, I LOVED staying right near the heart of the city rather than by the transportation hub, which really isn't that scenic.

We stayed at hotel Olimpia in September this year. Excellent position, free glass of Prosecco, good breakfast, outdoor terrace in garden, canalside.... Also easy to walk to from Piazzale Roma. Bedrooms aren't huge but they are comfortable with good beds and good bathrooms.

Thanks for the recommendation hotel al Ponte. Unfortunately it's fully booked for the 2 days in May we want. We will keep looking!

You may be having the same problem as I just experienced. When I changed from 2 nights to 3 there was availability. So, contacting them directly may work to see if they will waive the minimum.

Just wanted to post some information regarding Hotel Al Codega. It gets awesome reviews on TA and the price was only $13 more that the Olimpia for our 2 night stay. They offer a prepaid rate for a bit less but I used the standard rate. Here is the TA link for anyone that wants to check it out.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d644431-Reviews-Hotel_Al_Codega-Venice_Veneto.html