Who's the best cd?

Richard78

So, I feel confused as to why any of you have memories of a "Cruise Director". I did go to the evening shows on every cruise (that's actually the only reason I go on cruises besides free cooking).

But I don't recall any of the introducers memorable enough to give them a title of "cruise director". I feel like I am really missing out on a part of the cruise experience. Nobody I've ever talked to on-board has ever mentioned a cruise director.

???

This was how I felt until we ran into Richard Spacey. He was the first cruise director that we ever took notice of. He's the BEST

This thread now has me concerned, I had Richard Spacey as the CD on my first cruise. So I take it I was spoiled the first round. I wonder who I'll end up with on Allure of the Seas...

Honestly, I wouldnt be too concerned. its the Allure for crying out loud! :D:p

While I think the CD has a very important job, I cant imagine any of them ever having enough power to make or break a cruise Im on or cause me to be concerned :) Some of them are just better at their job than others I think.

This thread now has me concerned, I had Richard Spacey as the CD on my first cruise. So I take it I was spoiled the first round. I wonder who I'll end up with on Allure of the Seas...

With any luck you'll get Allan Brooks.

Honestly, I wouldnt be too concerned. its the Allure for crying out loud! :D:p

While I think the CD has a very important job, I cant imagine any of them ever having enough power to make or break a cruise Im on or cause me to be concerned :) Some of them are just better at their job than others I think.

For sure it won't make or break my trip, but I did think Richard Spacey sort of added to the experience. It will be awesome no matter who is the cruise director.

We thought Ken Rush was the best we'd had, then we cruised with Richard Spacey (and his hilarious Activities Manager Katie Turner). They had us laughing so hard we cried. We've yet to sail with Graham Seymour so I guess we have one more reason to try a new ship ;)

Edited by 1ParticularHbr

Hopefully not Ken...

Well, just to be different, we didn't like Richard Spacey. He seemed very snobbish and tended to show a dislike for children. Casual discussion with the crew seemed to indicate they didn't like him, either. It seemed every time we turned on the RCI channel on the TV there was his stupid "Top Gun" takeoff. I got the feeling that he expected we would like him, so he wasn't trying to be liked.

It's not Richard's British style either, because we liked Joff Eaton. Our favourites were Drew Devine and Casey (lastname?). Topi Ylonen was also quite good, but different. Maybe because he's a little younger and less experienced. The last three all took time to stop and talk to us about different things. Topi even took time to talk about ideas he had and ask what we thought.

I would agree with what others have said, that the CD hardly creates and CRMs, but can make it a more enjoyable cruise.

Edited by TBone2K

So, me and my family just got off The Freedom of the Seas. We have cruised many times before but we were shocked at how much we loved our cruise director (Richard Spacey). The cd position has never before seemed to make a big difference as to how much we enjoyed the cruise but Richard actually really added to our cruise. We enjoyed him so much that we made sure we never missed his morning show. He was hilarious. What do you guys think? Who has been your favorite?

I agree with you Richard was great and really funny.

Hi everyone. We have just finished our cruises on Allure of the Seas and have a question for all you cruising experts out there. Do any of you know who is the number one cruise director for Royal Caribbean voted by passengers?

We have had the pleasure of cruising with Ken Rush 3 times and find him to be an unbelievable cruise director. He never seems to sleep, turns up at all events, gets to know people by name and is a total professional in all he does.

If no one knows the answer to our question, can you direct us to someone who does... and will answer us?

Gayle and Christian Jordan :):o;):)

Allure Nov 10th and 17th November 2013

How is john blair?

John is on my short list of favorites. If I knew he was going to be the CD on a particular cruise it would certainly add to the appeal of the sailing. He and his wife work together and they are very good entertainers. I would not hesitate to sail with him again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

Hi everyone. We have just finished our cruises on Allure of the Seas and have a question for all you cruising experts out there. Do any of you know who is the number one cruise director for Royal Caribbean voted by passengers?

We have had the pleasure of cruising with Ken Rush 3 times and find him to be an unbelievable cruise director. He never seems to sleep, turns up at all events, gets to know people by name and is a total professional in all he does.If no one knows the answer to our question, can you direct us to someone who does... and will answer us?

Gayle and Christian Jordan :):o;):)

Allure Nov 10th and 17th November 2013

I don't think that there is an official answer to your question, as there has never been an official poll.

In this informal discussion, Richard Spacey has the most "votes" from the people who posted here. Graham Seymour is also mentioned quite often as a favorite.

Leigh Xuereb is my favorite. He is a lot like Richard Spacey, but with a style that's more approachable and down to earth. I also like Dennis Charles for his energetic style. Both of these are "lesser known" but have the same attributes you listed as making a good CD.

Edited by DonnaK

Seems like Richard Spacey has about 50% of all the votes on his own.

Having had I guess 20 different Cruise Directors, I'd agree. Richard was brilliant and the only one that really stuck out.

Must say the first couple of days I didn't take to his humour (I'm a Brit too so not that), but he grew on me and come the end of the week I was loving his shows.

His Top Gun video is brilliant and his act on stage where he does loads of different dances etc (sorry can't remember). You tube him, it's hilarious :cool: