Never Cruised!!

lisap71

Hello! I have never been on a cruise. Im planning on a Bermuda cruise From Boston for our birthday (yes we have the same bday, but hes older lol) on the Dawn, Oct 31-Nov 7 as a surprise and I have NO clue as to what I am doing.:confused:

I did look and I think I want to do a penthouse suite AFT. But I am also considering a family suite with balcony......

Questions are....is AFT better than mid ship??

Is it worth the extra $$ for the suites with the suite perks, although im not even sure what the suite perks are....I just like perks lol

any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I have no clue what a cruise is like and I just want this to be a very special trip for the both of us.

Thanks!:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I have never stayed in a PH suite, but we either stay in balcony or inside room midship. Less motion with the ocean.I know ppl say aft rooms are also good. You will love cruising. You get the most for your money. I'm sure more ppl will help you with more info. Everyone here is so helpful. Keep us posted as what you do as far as plans.

Although I have not experienced it personally, I understand the "suite experience" on NCL is great. In addition to great amenities on the ship that everyone gets, suites come with a butler and concierge to help you with anything you need. The butler will take care of needs inside your room, while the concierge can help with any arrangements for shows, the specialty restaurants, etc.

Here are some things you need to know...

NCL embraces something called "freestyle" cruising. Many cruise lines have set dining times (early and late) in the dining rooms, but NCL allows you to eat when you want, where you want. It works like restaurants on land. You show up and get seated. There can be a wait during the busiest periods, but it's not long. There are also specialty restaurants that have an additional fee to eat there. These take reservations, but you can always try to just walk to to these too.

NCL also has a very relaxed dress code. Many cruise lines still have a "formal night" where guests are expected to dress up for dinner, but NCL has eliminated these (thankfully for most of us). I don't need to pack a jacket or tie like I used to.

There is a $12 per person, per day Daily Service Charge that will be added to your account on the ship. You CAN decide to pre-pay this if you like, but most don't. This DSC serves as the main compensation for your cabin steward and the food servers on the ship, and it replaces the old style tipping style using envelops at the end of your cruise. However, the butler and concierge are NOT included in the DSC pool. If you're in a suite, you will want to tip them separately. There are lots of posts here on tipping amounts. You can tip when service is provided, or you can wait until the end of the trip.

Most things on a ship are free, but there are items that will cost additional money if you want to do them. Martini tastings, for example, or eating in certain extra fee restaurants.

On the ship, everything except cash tips goes on a combination room key/charge card. This includes the shops, etc. You'll only need cash for tipping or maybe spending on shore.

The ship will offer you shore excursions (available on the NCL website), but if you visit the "ports of call" boards here you can get a lot of ideas of what to do in port.

I'm sure you will have a lot more questions, and folks are here to help. Try reading some of the reviews in this forum of the ship and itinerary. You'll get lots of good information, etc. Just put your ship name into the search function and you'll find lots and lots of posts that will make for good reading.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much for the information....

I dont really think I would know what to do with a butler, I know it did say they unpack your luggage but I dont think Id like that. haha

Im looking forward to planning this cruise for us, he has been on a few cruises in the past and loved them and has been trying to entice me on going but I keep saying NO WAY lol Hes really going to be surprised.

Thanks again

Never stayed in suite or mini suite--we never felt it was worth the extra money(would rather use the money for extra spending. Pictures. Dinners. Excursions. ).... but. Aft balcony are the BEST!! Had one on the Jewel and in January we are booked on the Gem in an aft balcony. If you take aft balcony try for one on the10th floor. They are much bigger than lower floors, and 11 is right under the buffet. Tenth floor aft balcony are the best rooms

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by spidybabe

NCL suite perks are WAY more than the butler unpacking your stuff... almost nobody does that anyway.

Some of my favorite perks...

> priority boarding and disembarkation - breeze by the 2,000 or so other passengers waiting in line to board on day 1 right onto the ship. Get off the ship quick when in ports. Suite guests don't spend too much time standing in line.

> breakfast and lunch at an exclusive "suite only" restaurant, Cagney's. No cattle call at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Great food, personal service.

> butler service will provide snacks and treats to your suite, en suite dining if you'd like, show you how to use the coffee machines... (you need this).

> various levels of complimentary booze depending on suite level booked.

My wife and I did an aft penthouse suite in Alaska this past September. It's an absolutely wonderful place. Many folks love the aft... and you're never on the wrong side of the ship. 180 degree views...your own PH suite is your own retreat.

More on NCL suites...

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-accommodations/suites-and-penthouses

You will hear the term "The Haven" a lot. The Dawn is not a Haven ship... that is, it does have lovely suites, but not a dedicated Haven area as the Jewel class and newer ships have.

welcome Lisa to cruise critic. If there only 2 of you go for the aft suites it's amazing with the views. If there are more than 2 go for the 2 bdrm suite. I have stayed in both. The aft has a lil more movement but in Bermuda you will be docked for 21/2 days. The suite perks include priority embarkation and disembarkation Also reserved seats for shows. Those are jobs of your concierge your butler will take care of all your inside the suite needs. Bringing room service to you, yyou can have breakfast in your suite or lunch or dinner or wings or etc. The service from your butler and concierge are amazing. Your first cruise and you will be spoiled, lol. I have stayed in every suite but the villa. Spoiled myself. Tips are extra for your concierge and butler. Like someone said there are tons of posts about that. enjoy

Hello! I have never been on a cruise. Im planning on a Bermuda cruise From Boston for our birthday (yes we have the same bday, but hes older lol) on the Dawn, Oct 31-Nov 7 as a surprise and I have NO clue as to what I am doing.:confused:

I did look and I think I want to do a penthouse suite AFT. But I am also considering a family suite with balcony......

Questions are....is AFT better than mid ship??

Is it worth the extra $$ for the suites with the suite perks, although im not even sure what the suite perks are....I just like perks lol

any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I have no clue what a cruise is like and I just want this to be a very special trip for the both of us.

Thanks!:)

Personally I like the aft cabins much better. As for your other questions: I would contact a travel agent and have them help you. It doesn't cost anything to use one and they can be very helpful to new cruisers, especially when you are looking at booking something a bit upscale.

You might want to book more than 9 months in advance with a deposit, this will get you extra Latitudes points, which will lead to more perks sooner on future cruises. Also, if your hubby sailed with NCL in the past he can check out his status and open a My NCL account, which may mean some extras on your first cruise. You will enjoy!!

Aft suites are great and family suites usually have more room. For 2 the aft suite is probably the way to go. We have done aft suites twice and had more than enough room. The extras that come with the suite are way worth it. Anyone who says they aren't hasn't stayed in one.

SO and I did our very first cruise last year, sailing NYC - Bermuda on the Star, and we splurged for the aft penthouse.

Best travel decision we ever made! :D

The cabin was generously proportioned and the views were spectacular whether at sea or docked in Bermuda. The extra perks (Triptolemus listed some of our favorites above), left us feeling more pampered than we had been probably since we were wearing them as infants.

We did not take advantage of having the butler unpack our luggage, but the possibility did spawn many hysterical conversations around unusual/bizarre items one could bring, just to see the reactions.

You guys are GREAT!!! Thanks for the responses. Has anyone ever purchased the drink package. I'm considering this.

No, I never purchased drink packages. When I was in an owners suite, I received 3 free bottles of booze, and all of the water or soft drinks I wanted. No need to buy anything else.

Even when we were in regular cabins, I didn't buy packages. The free water & Iced tea from the buffet was enough, and we brought bottled water from home. On ocassion I ordered a drink, when I wanted a coctail.

I found mid ship cabins to be the most comfortable, not so much ocean movement.

If you're going for the "suite life", just make sure the "family suite" is a true suite. Doesn't NCL call some of their mini-suites "family suites"? We have friends that booked one for their family of four (two grown daughters) and they had to climb over each other to get into bed!

We were in a two bedroom Penthouse suite and had friends in aft suites. They are very, very nice. We loved having breakfast and lunch in Cagneys, and the LaVazza coffee machine in the room. You will love this trip!

If you're going for the "suite life", just make sure the "family suite" is a true suite. Doesn't NCL call some of their mini-suites "family suites"? We have friends that booked one for their family of four (two grown daughters) and they had to climb over each other to get into bed!quote]

I don't think that is true. NCL has mini-suites and family mini-suites where the only difference is cabin location on the ship. Anything called a family suite is a suite and will have suite amenities.

I'm liking the responses here!!! Thank you!!! I guess an AFT Penthouse is the way to go!!! The perks sound wonderful as well.

Definitely THINKJNG of using the $300 on board credit toward the unlimited booze package. I mean we aren't alcoholics or anything but yeah we like to party n have a good time!!! Lol.

Now, I hope this isn't offensive, definitely not trying to be but a lot of people have told me that I will find the crowds to be "older" people cruising versus people our age (even tho I consider myself "older"-early 40's lol). Not that it matters as I will be with my love enjoying each other but curious I guess.

Now, I hope this isn't offensive, definitely not trying to be but a lot of people have told me that I will find the crowds to be "older" people cruising versus people our age (even tho I consider myself "older"-early 40's lol). Not that it matters as I will be with my love enjoying each other but curious I guess.

Let me ask you a question. The people who have told you this... have they ever cruised?