attempted live from the Crown- Tgiving cruise

cibaygirls

I told myself I would try to do a live from aboard the Crown 7 day Thanksgiving cruise, but am not sure how frequently I will get online. I will do a thorough review when I return, but will try to get down some observations and answer questions if possible

I am cruising with my DH and my mother (for her first cruise ever)We are on currently on day 3. We embarked on Saturday and arrived at the terminal around 11:00, got right inside, breezed through the preferred check-in and that is where things halted. The computer went down so we waited and then hopped onto another line. We got checked in quickly (although the regular lines were moving faster at this point) and found a seat to wait. We were able to get on board around noon. Went to our room, completed the ship treasure hunt thing had lunch and relaxed. The ship looks great, and the crew so far has been super (as we expected). The rest of the day was kind of low key. We had dinner in the botticelli dining room and all continued to be good.

Our first full day was at Princess Cay. We took our time getting up; ship was anchored around 9, we went down to get onto a tender around 10:30, they were still using tickets but the process went very quickly and we only waited maybe 10 minutes. It was a hot day on the beach, very sunny and the water was very refreshing. My mom rented snorkel equipment (apparently that was on her bucket list unbeknownst to me) and used it all of 5 minutes and said "check that off" She saw some fish but I guess was not too impressed. Came back to ship, played some Wii bowling, relaxed and went to dinner. After dinner we went to the Yes/No game and my mother signed up and got chosen...you have to go through a round of questioning by deputy cruise director without answering yes/no for 3 minutes....mom got through 2 and a half and then got duped...so close. She had shared she was cruising with her daughter who was too chicken to participate (on her way back the asst asked her daughter's name privately and guess who got called up next??!!) So it was my turn and I was out in 8 seconds after being asked "Did you know your mom gave your name" to which I replied " I had No idea" I was so confident going in too.

Today is our first day at sea and there is plenty to do. I just realized I missed the meet and greet which is a shame as there were so many signed up. This cruise is certainly geared towards families as there are many kids.

As I said I will try to keep up and will do my best to get back and answer questions anyone has.

Dana

Only have a spare minute so am going to answer the few questions (although they seem to have been answered already)

Yes, Lisa Ball is the CD and Toby is the deputy.. sorry can't think of his last name. The Wii bowling on the day we did it was in club fusion around 3:30; we were the only 3 who showed up, and we were 5 minutes late but they set it up for us anyway and then several others joined.

Regarding entertainment there are 3 shows: destination anywhere, motor city and boogie something (sorry my brain is not working correctly tonight and it was Italian night in the dining room so I had my obligatory limoncellos (yes that is an s for plural :)

There was also a hypnotist and comedian who did shows in the theater and then in explorers. There has been a couple different live bands at various venues and many "family dance parties" This is the first holiday cruise I am on and it is interesting to see how many family geared options there are.

we were delayed leaving St maarten today due to a medical emergency. Although we were sitting in the dining room and it seemed like the engines were on and then off, but anyway we are sailing fine now. I know there were other posters who mentioned AC problems on the last cruise. My stateroom is fine but I have found the ship warmer than usual. I typically wear a sweater around when inside, but this cruise I have been comfortable without it. It seems like there are a few warm pockets here and there, nothing unbearable.

That is all for now, will try to pop back in.

Dana

Dana -- thanks for taking the time from your vacation to post for the benefit of others who wait in anticipation, like myself, for our upcomming cruises.

For anyone -- Thought I read that Kelvin Joy was CD on the Crown, but I didn't hear until when. Is Lisa Ball on board for a while now, or just filling in for a time?

Hi Dana,

Is there Zumba onboard?

I read somewhere that the teacher was switching to the Royal last Saturday, and I was curious if there was someone else/new onboard teaching.

Thanks!

Yes, I did see Zumba in the patter for the first sea day.

Lisa Ball is in fact the CD, if I see her I will try to inquire how long she will be on board.

Today we will be arriving in Grand Turk at 1PM. Yesterday we were in St. Thomas where I, along with my family did the dolphin swim excursion through the ship. While we enjoyed it, it is not something I would recommend for this port. The excursion is actually in Tortola so there was an hour long ferry ride each way (which was pleasant) but there was paperwork and immigration involved also. I am not sure if we were just not expecting it, or if it was because the excursion itself seemed a bit unorganized but I found myself focused more on how much time we spent waiting vs. actually being with the dolphins. It was a pricey excursion and then to get the photos was even more expensive (we had just purchased a Go Pro camera aboard the night before and were SOOOOOO excited to use it- we had been thinking about getting one so knew the price onboard was fair). When we show up to the dolphin encounter we are told you can not have ANY cameras with you (because of course they want your $100 + to buy their photos). So that was a bit disappointing too.

The dining menus have been shifted around due to Thanksgiving so we had our first formal night the first day at sea and last night (St Thomas). Tonight will be Thanksgiving dinner.

I did not attend the Captain's Circle party, so can not speak to how many passengers are onboard in each category.

I apologize that my thoughts are so scattered. I am not as organized as I usually am; my primary focus on this cruise is that my mother enjoys her very first cruise so I am letting her review the patter and choose the activities. Today there will be a family fun fair in the Piazza for involving cookie decorations, arts and crafts, a Thankful tree, etc. There is also the standard BINGO, silent jewelry auction, bar wars at the pool, photo lecture, horse races/owners auction, and pop choir rehearsal today before we hit Grand Turk. They are also showing several of the NFL football games at MUTS.

We did not hear anything further regarding the bottle of wine that was in with our checked baggage.

Dana

We did not hear anything further regarding the bottle of wine that was in with our checked baggage.

I went back over this thread and don't see this bottle. Are you saying it was missing from the delivered baggage?

We liked Lisa Ball a LOT as she befriended us at the M&G and greeted us thru the cruise thereafter.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

I went back over this thread and don't see this bottle. Are you saying it was missing from the delivered baggage?

We liked Lisa Ball a LOT as she befriended us at the M&G and greeted us thru the cruise thereafter.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

I reread it too also looking for the bottle. :confused:

I reread it too also looking for the bottle. :confused:

Need to look at a post on another thread

We boarded the crown on Saturday... There were 3 of us and 4 bottles of wine. We each had one in our carry on which no one seemed to pay any attention to. I had a box from Total wine which contained some water and soda, and I had accidentally left one bottle of wine in there. I checked the box. When it came to the room, it had been re-taped and inside there was a note stating something to the effect that the box had been screened and that we MAY be contacted by someone to ensure we were not bringing on more than the allotted. As of now I have not heard anything further. This was a bottle I was going to bring to the dining room on T-giving for dinner anyway, so was preparing on paying the corkage fee.

Need to look at a post on another thread

Thanks Bill! Sounded familiar but I lose track.

Will find out tomorrow what they do at Houston / Bayport about additional free 750ml bottles for a B2B, and excess bottles beyond that. All in carry-on.

We have various (new, unopened) Sugar-Free flavoring bottles in checked bags which they are more than welcome to inspect. Wish the IC consistently had SF flavorings, but the KP didn't, last March.

...hi-jack over!

Edited by sminfiddle

Sorry about the wine post confusion...I did preface this thread saying I was scattered. :eek:The wine bottle did remain in the box with the water and soda that was in there..along with that note. I did sort of expect there to be a corkage fee on my bill but there was not. I actually did bring it the dining room on thanksgiving and still was not charged. More to be thankful for:)

I am at the airport now. Last night was the typical crew show. It certainly seemed like the ac was not working in our room. We told our steward and he said he put a work order in. As we had a late flight we did the ft Lauderdale tour with las olas. (We missed the cut off to sign up for ez check. The tour was enjoyable and a good way to kill some time.

We really enjoyed the trip..the only real negative I can say is that quite often we would get a slight sewage type smell when outside. Never experienced that.

I will try to see if I can sneak some time at work and scan the patters

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Sorry about the wine post confusion...I did preface this thread saying I was scattered. :eek:The wine bottle did remain in the box with the water and soda that was in there..along with that note. I did sort of expect there to be a corkage fee on my bill but there was not. I actually did bring it the dining room on thanksgiving and still was not charged. More to be thankful for:)

I am at the airport now. Last night was the typical crew show. It certainly seemed like the ac was not working in our room. We told our steward and he said he put a work order in. As we had a late flight we did the ft Lauderdale tour with las olas. (We missed the cut off to sign up for ez check. The tour was enjoyable and a good way to kill some time.

We really enjoyed the trip..the only real negative I can say is that quite often we would get a slight sewage type smell when outside. Never experienced that.

I will try to see if I can sneak some time at work and scan the patters

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

So glad that you had a wonderful vacation! It sounds as if your mom had a great time on her first cruise as well!!!