Celebrity Solstice ship transfers in Dunedin, NZ

Hi, could anyone please tell me the details regarding the transfers from the ship into Dunedin City NZ? Do Celebrity provide a shuttle? What is the cost? and what times do they leave and return? Have posted the same question on Celebrity board. Many thanks

Edited by lovedecruise

A shuttle is provided. Not sure if its the cruise line or the City that provide it. Runs from the ship to the Octagon in the centre of the city. Cost, not sure, but it wont break the bank. Leaves as soon as it's full in the morning and then they fill up another until the crowd is shifted. Returns regularly though out the day They will tell you the time for the last bus.

Its about a 15/20 minute ride from the port into town.

There is also a local bus that Kiwis can travel on with their Gold Card....for free ..:) .however they do not run very often and take a circuitous route into town....good for seeing the locality, but slow , slow, slow.

We have tried both and will stick with the shuttle next time.

You only have 1 day to see the sights.:D

Dunedin is a working port & you cannot just walk out of there. There is a shuttle available at $ 8 NZD each way. Travel time to the city center is 25 minutes.’

You can walk out of the port. I did when on the Dawn Princess in December last year. I walked off the ship. Showed my passport to port authorities and walked down to the bus station to catch the bus in Dunedin

Dunedin is a working port & you cannot just walk out of there.

Yes, Port Chalmers is a working port, BUT You can freely walk out of it, with any problems!, Just MAKE sure you have some sort of id!.

I have been to Port Chalmers, Dunedin twice now, and I have walked out of the port both times, with out any problems.

Port Chalmers is a lovely little town to have a look around, plus there are a couple of good lookout near with there ship dock, if you don't mind walking up a hill!

Tip: If you want to have a look around Port Chalmers, get off the bus before you get to the port!! (Saves you a walk ;)), if you can!, other wise just walk out of the port, when the shuttle bus stops next to your ship :).

Dunedin is a working port & you cannot just walk out of there. There is a shuttle available at $ 8 NZD each way. Travel time to the city center is 25 minutes.’

We didnt have any trouble just walking out of the port in Feb this yr, did it twice during the day. Just had to show ID to security when coiming back.

We didnt have any trouble just walking out of the port in Feb this yr, did it twice during the day. Just had to show ID to security when coiming back.

Some ports do not allow it but most do, just make sure you have ID as well as the seapass..:D

Port Chalmers does not have any restrictions. Perhaps you mean Picton which is a working port that does require you to take either a shuttle or tour.

Tip: If you want to have a look around Port Chalmers, get off the bus before you get to the port!! (Saves you a walk ;)), if you can!, other wise just walk out of the port, when the shuttle bus stops next to your ship :).

Weirdly when we were there on Solstice a couple of weeks ago, we were returning on a private tour bus & were NOT ALLOWED to be dropped off in Port Chalmers. We had to stay on the bus, enter the port & show our photo ID to the immigration officers who boarded the bus. Then the bus dropped us right at the gangway. The driver said if we got off the bus outside the port we & he would get a huge fine! I don't know what that was all about??

As soon as we got off the bus near the ship, there was nothing stopping us from then walking back out into the town.

Weirdly when we were there on Solstice a couple of weeks ago, we were returning on a private tour bus & were NOT ALLOWED to be dropped off in Port Chalmers. We had to stay on the bus, enter the port & show our photo ID to the immigration officers who boarded the bus. Then the bus dropped us right at the gangway. The driver said if we got off the bus outside the port we & he would get a huge fine! I don't know what that was all about??

As soon as we got off the bus near the ship, there was nothing stopping us from then walking back out into the town.

I think he was referring to the local public bus . It has a couple of stops in Port Chalmers and if you get off at the first one its a pleasant walk through the town....being a small town its a very short walk. Most of the shops have long since closed down and are now occupied by "curio"traders and galleries and cafes , where the owners live on the premises.

As for security...the Port was never intended to be a tourist destination. I think it has caught the Port Authourities by surprise .At one stage anyone could walk up to the ships and some tour operators were hassling passengers on the wharf. They have tightened up , and now they must wait outside, but some passengers have reported having to run a gaunlet of traders and private tour operators, many of whom are not licenced nor carry any public liablity insurance..

I think he was referring to the local public bus . It has a couple of stops in Port Chalmers and if you get off at the first one its a pleasant walk through the town....being a small town its a very short walk. Most of the shops have long since closed down and are now occupied by "curio"traders and galleries and cafes , where the owners live on the premises.

As for security...the Port was never intended to be a tourist destination. I think it has caught the Port Authourities by surprise .At one stage anyone could walk up to the ships and some tour operators were hassling passengers on the wharf. They have tightened up , and now they must wait outside, but some passengers have reported having to run a gaunlet of traders and private tour operators, many of whom are not licenced nor carry any public liablity insurance..

That would explain it. Public bus vs Shuttle.:D

I did say

<snip>if you can!</ship>,
and I did say:
other wise just walk out of the port, when the shuttle bus stops next to your ship :).

:) :)

When we where in Port Chalmers (This is back in 2012) It was very much depended on the driver, as our Shuttle driver stop in the Port Chalmers Town, about 50 meters or so from the port, and if anyone wanted in the town they could have got off there.