How could NCL improve?

Stateroom_Sailor

My wife and I have sailed with NCL 4 times over the last 3 years. Their is really nothing we would change. We have really liked each and ever cruise we have been on. However since we have only sailed on NCL we have nothing to compare it to. I will say we had a mini suit on our last cruise on the Dawn, it was pretty worn out and I wish they would change the name of it since you don't have any suite perks. We do love the size of it for 2 people

Have a ship with a retractable roof over a pool for the year round sailings out of NY. (Without having to pay for Haven rooms, or get a spa pass which doesn't work if you have kids with you. ) They are having trouble filling the Breakaway right now...that might help so people can have more pool/lounging time during the colder months and won't lose so many days to cold.

I also agree about switching back to Coca-cola products! I don't know why they ever switched to Pepsi products! I know, though, that DH and I will not be getting the soda package now as we have done on our previous cruises but will instead bring some coke onboard.

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

1. Tighten up the nonsmoking areas. Maybe one side of the ship balcony rooms could be nonsmoking.

2. Not to start an arguement or debate. This is just my opinion/preference. We like traditional cruise dinning. We would like to be able to have a set time/table and maybe wait staff. I have talked to others that would also like this option. Freestyle is great for some but others do like the traditional dinning. We like the way Carnival does it with anytime dinning but we can still choose traditional dinning.

Since we have only been on one cruise with NCL so far and are waiting in anticipation for our next one in June I don't have too much to add. We really liked all the food in all the venues including the buffet. DH ordered an entree one evening that was not to his liking and wouldn't get something different to replace it, so it was his own fault! He just got something later in O'sheehans and was happy. I guess the only issue we had was the wandering around in circles past all the chairs with towels on them and finding nowhere to sit near any pool. I really wish people would take their towels with them when they leave to give others a chance to lay out for a hour or so too! That being said, we would sit on a bench and watch and usually someone left in an hour or so, no disaster, just a minor inconvenience. Everything else was great and we can't wait to go again.

1. Tighten up the nonsmoking areas. Maybe one side of the ship balcony rooms could be nonsmoking.

2. Not to start an arguement or debate. This is just my opinion/preference. We like traditional cruise dinning. We would like to be able to have a set time/table and maybe wait staff. I have talked to others that would also like this option. Freestyle is great for some but others do like the traditional dinning. We like the way Carnival does it with anytime dinning but we can still choose traditional dinning.

Oh no, do not take away freestyle dining! It's the reason we won't cruise any other line (I've heard anytime dining isn't as good as freestyle).

I would like a larger breakfast room service menu (with hot items), better beer selections, a private island that the ships can dock at, and a new itinerary out of NYC for 7 day sailings.

ETA, a new format for the UBP, where you don't have to see the charges. It is a constant worry until the last day, when they are taken off (since this is a relatively new program, and there have been some variations of what is and what isn't included).

Edited by mjkacmom

Oh no, do not take away freestyle dining! It's the reason we won't cruise any other line (I've heard anytime dining isn't as good as freestyle).

I would like a larger breakfast room service menu (with hot items), better beer selections, a private island that the ships can dock at, and a new itinerary out of NYC for 7 day sailings.

ETA, a new format for the UBP, where you don't have to see the charges. It is a constant worry until the last day, when they are taken off (since this is a relatively new program, and there have been some variations of what is and what isn't included).

Oh no. I didn't mean take away freestyle. I know many love it. But maybe just an option of traditional dining. I know quite a few carnival cruisers that say they prefer NCL but cruse Carnival because they like traditional dinning.

I'd second a pizza joint.. the anytime option is so limited and who wants to fork over $5? I liked Carnival's pizza - didn't take up too much room on the ship, but you could always count on it for fresh and made-to-order. Especially with all the kids on the ships generally, repurposing a little area at the Great Outdoors, or the food area around the pool seems to be a simple solution to improve on the NCL product.

Improve ? How about throwing us suite passangers a bone once in awhile .

Buy 10 get one free .. :D

That and a special colored robe in the suites . So IF we decide to wear it to breakfast they will know we are suite slobs....:p

back to work

Oh no. I didn't mean take away freestyle. I know many love it. But maybe just an option of traditional dining. I know quite a few carnival cruisers that say they prefer NCL but cruse Carnival because they like traditional dinning.

Maybe it's different on the newer Carnival ships but I didn't really like the way Carnival does Anytime Dining. It was very difficult to get a table for two (which we prefer). There was always a long wait unless you wanted to be seated with a larger group. Also, the dining room they used was very crowded so when we did get a table for two we were only inches from the next table.

I agree there is always room for improvement.

I got the impression from my last cruise that people working at the port inside the terminal are not always NCL employees.

We were on a wild goose chase trying to check in last time. We were sent from one end of the terminal to the other to only have to start again where we walked in

Although, we asked people with NCL badges, it seemed they didn't know what they were doing.

So I guess I am saying better communication with their staff at the terminal.

OOOPS Forgot Better TV. Yes folks I like to lay on the balcony and watch TV sometimes

Usually they're not employed by the cruise line. They work for the port.

Edited by emcelh

Maybe it's different on the newer Carnival ships but I didn't really like the way Carnival does Anytime Dining. It was very difficult to get a table for two (which we prefer). There was always a long wait unless you wanted to be seated with a larger group. Also, the dining room they used was very crowded so when we did get a table for two we were only inches from the next table.

I think this is what makes NCL's freestyle work so well. WE have tried open dining on 2 other lines, and you are right, the first thing, it is hard to get a small table. Often we would be at a table for 6 or 8 every night and they would be different people each night. We do like to socialize but how many times do you want to answer these questions: where are you from and how many times have you cruised on this or any other line? Part of the problem stems from; the other lines offer both open and assigned dining so there seems to always be a shortage of "open dining"

That and a special colored robe in the suites . So IF we decide to wear it to breakfast they will know we are suite slobs....:p

back to work

COTFLMFAO! Wrong thread but I've been active on that thread! LOL

Good one!

Thanks for the afternoon smile.

Harriet

Not sure about that. I have never done anytime dining. I hate to wate. Even 5 or10 minutes. I hate to wait especially on vacation.

We like the early assigned dining time. We like to eat at the same table, same time and just our family. We never wait. Just walk straight to our able We also like having the same wait staff everyday. They get to know us and it makes it fun.

Not sure about that. I have never done anytime dining. I hate to wate. Even 5 or10 minutes. I hate to wait especially on vacation.

We like the early assigned dining time. We like to eat at the same table, same time and just our family. We never wait. Just walk straight to our able We also like having the same wait staff everyday. They get to know us and it makes it fun.

So Ncl is clearly not the line for you.

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

I wish every NCL ship had a top deck observation lounge/bar. They turned the Spinnaker on the DAWN into suites. Now only those couple familys can enjoy that awesome view. Carnival is the only other cruise line I have sailed that doesn't regularly have them. They are great places to relax during a rainny day or when sailing in colder weather.

The removing of the observation lounges/bars I would put to a hault.

Also open up the bow of the ship like on Royal Caribbean, it is a great place to be when arriving in port and leaving. Thats a lot of wasted public space.

Jon

Edited by NH Cruisers

- Take it easy with the "privilege" system. Too many restricted areas: Haven, Vibe, Spice, spa lounge, studio lounge... A few is nice but that's starting to go overboard. Add more public areas for everyone instead.

- For shows: I prefer the "first come, first served" system (the one they've always had) to that new reservation business. You have to arrive way early anyway to get good seats, so what's the point?

I agree with these! I didn't realize that reservations were mandatory for Second City on the Epic. We showed up and were shocked that we could not get in without a reservation. Having to make reservations for all of your nightly entertainment takes away from the Freestyle atmosphere.

I would like to see a coffee card or coffee package with the speciality coffees on it.

Some new itineraries, not a fan of the Caribbean and can see only 1 or maybe 2 more European cruises for us to try before being forced onto another line that has an itinerary that excites us.

Some venues where a quiet evening drink can be enjoyed without being deafened by music

One bar where smoking is allowed, clearly labelled as such to keep the non-smokers away

Better signed areas where smoking is permitted so non-smokers know to keep away

Enforcement of the chair hog policy, it is beyond ridiculous at present.

I would like to see a coffee card or coffee package with the speciality coffees on it.

Some new itineraries, not a fan of the Caribbean and can see only 1 or maybe 2 more European cruises for us to try before being forced onto another line that has an itinerary that excites us.

Some venues where a quiet evening drink can be enjoyed without being deafened by music

One bar where smoking is allowed, clearly labelled as such to keep the non-smokers away

Better signed areas where smoking is permitted so non-smokers know to keep away

Enforcement of the chair hog policy, it is beyond ridiculous at present.

Speaking for myself, I don't require a sign to keep me away from smoking areas, I smells them Loooooooooooooooong before I sees them and avoid them whenever possible. Please, carry on puffing in your designated area.....:p

Edited by Macadian