Corkage Fees

ORCRUISER

I know there has been lots of discussion on this but my question is a little different. HAL charges a $18 or maybe now $20 corkage fee for bottles of wine brought into the MDR. I don't drink wine, only DH and he only has one glass with dinner. Will this be one fee charged for the several days he drinks wine from the bottle? That seems very reasonable.

If they charge the corkage (I've had many times it wasn't charged to me), it's a 1 time charge, no matter how long they keep the bottle for you. He could take the bottle the first night, be charged the corkage, and drink 1 glass. The wait staff would "cork" the bottle (even if it's a screw-top), store it for him, bring out the bottle the next night, he drinks 1 glass, bottle gets stored... until the bottle is empty. One charge.

Your question has been answered by the two previous posters so no need for me to weigh in on that one.... just wanted to add that I also have had times where the corkage was not charged.

Edited by startwin
typo

Yes, they should transport the bottle for you. You will need to ask them and let them know where to take it. We too had a cruise where we were not charged a single corkage fee. We were a large group of friends and probably had 12 bottles through the week. We left a very generous tip!

What happens if you use it first time in MDR then the next time you're at PG or Tamarind. How can I coordinate my bottle's movement ?
Tell your wine steward the night before and you won't have to wait for them to go so far to get it. Shouldn't anyway! Edited by jtl513

Your question has been answered by the two previous posters so no need for me to weigh in on that one.... just wanted to add that I also have had times where the corkage was not charged.

I have, too. But I think those days are long gone...with the new wine policy coming into effect.

In the past, I might be charged (or not) for one bottle and not a subsequent one.

I had perhaps four bottles opened in the MDR over the course of our 21 days cruise, and was charged $18 for each one.

Just a FYI, the fee is the same regardless of the size of the bottle. We were gifted a 1.5 L bottle of wine just prior to a cruise so took it on board and were surprised that the corkage fee was the same.

Why would it be different? The cork is the same size ;) And in the case of a twist cap, the same number of twists are required to open the bottle ;)